Prospecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... This town had a prospectors club but it failed because of lack of interest....

Two reasons it seems from your description:

a) The era of brick and mortar clubs has passed. 1x p/month type club meetings started folding back in the late '90s and 2000's. Reason: The age of the internet created a different avenue for people to get their socializing, research, show & tell, meeting up with other locals, etc.... Hence no more reason to get off your/our lazy b#tts to drive to a meeting 1x p/month. Now you can learn pro's and con's of tech. you're considering, meet others, show & tell your stuff, research, etc.... ALL from the comfort of your lazy boy recliner. It's made us all lazy b#tts.

The only clubs left are in very big cities nowadays, ever since the internet and forums came in vogue.

b) if the closest nugget producing regions are several hours away, then it makes sense that there's not likely to be a prospecting club nearby.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've spent some time in NM over the years and the experience I had while there was that most detectorists and prospectors there seemed to be the lone wolf type. I met a bunch of them but they rarely ever seemed willing to talk much less hunt together. I had a few of them pack up and leave as soon as I showed up and pulled the detector out. I even ran into one guy up in the hills when I was out trying to find something I had researched and he said hello and took off his own way back the direction I came from. That led me to believe the guys there aren't the partner sort.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well I've spent some time in NM over the years and the experience I had while there was that most detectorists and prospectors there seemed to be the lone wolf type. I met a bunch of them but they rarely ever seemed willing to talk much less hunt together. I had a few of them pack up and leave as soon as I showed up and pulled the detector out. I even ran into one guy up in the hills when I was out trying to find something I had researched and he said hello and took off his own way back the direction I came from. That led me to believe the guys there aren't the partner sort.

Here's one from years back. I was hitting a GPAA claim in NM just above and west of TX. I had a small camp fire going cooking supper. I heard someone call,"Hello the camp." I told them to enter. It was an old prospector. I gave him a cup of coffee and some beans and hotdogs. Come to find out he was in the Army Air force when the saucers crashed. He was in the group that cleaned up the remains. He said it was no balloon. When he got back to the base he met the other group that had gone to THE OTHER crash site. They said the site had a basically intact saucer and some aliens, one still alive! I am a pretty good judge of when someone is bull shitting me and I can tell you , his story appeared to be true. Just a past experience. Gold hand.jpg

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I've heard those stories myself too. Seems like it did happen but we won't ever know for sure. The last time I was searching NM I was in the the western half of the state and came across a man running down the highway screaming and he was no small man so it surprised me how fast he was moving so I turned around and went back to make sure he was alright. I finally got him to stop running so I could talk to him to find out what the hell happened and he told me that he and some friends had been heading up to Colorado when they saw a woman walking along the side of the road so they stopped to pick her up. He said that a few miles later they saw a man standing right in the middle of the road and they tried to go around him in the other lane and as they got up beside him his face changed and he looked like some kind of demon. He told me the car broke down immediately after passing the man in the road and then that woman they picked up disappeared right in front of their eyes. He said he took off running because that man that was standing in the road tried to attack him and his friends. Long story short, they had been driving down a one of the most notorious highways in this country without even knowing it because I took him back to where it happened at to verify his story myself and the car was there just like he had told me but his friends were no where to be found, which is what usually happens on that road. He had ran about 20 or 30 miles from where the car was which is amazing considering he was a pretty big boy. It actually used to be called highway 666 until they finally changed the name. It's still referred to as The Devil's Highway now and most people would never go down that highway.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Strange stories of supernatural experiences have lived in New Mexico as long as people have.
Especially along the Rio Grande.

I was working at a hospital by the Navajo Res with a guy actually from the Cherokee res.
I told him the guy with me was new to NM and we were going to camp out at a place called
Chaco Canyon. He told me people from the Tribe won't go there because of the Ancient Ones.

Then he told me that his friend was driving at twilight on a gravel road about 50 MPH when there
was a man galloping along side of his car on all fours. He said "They might be my people but they scare
the he!! out of me.
I had to laugh at that one.

Where I live there is an entity called La Llorona that roams the Rio Grande. Some stories not so bad but others
of looking for children to snatch up.

Here's some locals having fun with La Llorona.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You guys are so silly. Stories of supposed "eye-witnesses" (frankn's # 4 account) are a dime-a-dozen . They sound ssseeeooo convincing (how can you dispute the old man afterall?). But gauranteed, the moment you go to pry and quizz further, they fall apart as "he said she said" stories.

Why am I envisioning the scene from Wizard of Oz right now ? : "I DO believe in spooks , I DO believe in spooks, ..... I do I do I do I do ...."

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
If you live in an area where there are tons of stories of everything from aliens, skinwalkers, ghosts, outlaws, is on the devils highway, near the military nuclear test site, that is also close to an Apache Reservation where they don't trust White guys... everyone you get to join your group is going to be thought of as a bit weird. No wonder everyone become lone wolves around there, it's healthier! PS: Mostly lone wolves here in SE AZ too.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think about it, prospectors are usually solo, or in pairs, not so much in groups unless they are a prospecting club, who are more, in it for the friendship.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If you live in an area where there are tons of stories of everything from aliens, skinwalkers, ghosts, outlaws, is on the devils highway, near the military nuclear test site, that is also close to an Apache Reservation where they don't trust White guys... everyone you get to join your group is going to be thought of as a bit weird. No wonder everyone become lone wolves around there, it's healthier! PS: Mostly lone wolves here in SE AZ too.

ok, wait, hold on .... this proves aliens and UFO's then ? :dontknow:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said any of the stories are true or even that what that guy I found running down the highway told me was true but he definitely seemed afraid of something. Stories like that do get told a lot in that state so it's either people there make up the stories to keep everyone else out of their area or there could be some truth to the stories but we don't know. I do know that until I see an alien with my own eyes I'm not gonna say they exist but the supernatural type stuff could be real.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
His name slips my mind but there are stories in Northern NM of an entity that when a
girl goes out at night he steals her panties. If a girl comes home with no panties, he gets blamed.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Still, there is something to be said for the clandestine hunt... hmmm?

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, anyone who actually believes in the pantie thief entity, I have ocean front property in South Dakota I can sale you.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are so silly. Stories of supposed "eye-witnesses" (frankn's # 4 account) are a dime-a-dozen . They sound ssseeeooo convincing (how can you dispute the old man afterall?). But gauranteed, the moment you go to pry and quizz further, they fall apart as "he said she said" stories.

Why am I envisioning the scene from Wizard of Oz right now ? : "I DO believe in spooks , I DO believe in spooks, ..... I do I do I do I do ...."

Tom, You are normally right on target with your posts, but Aliens are real, and have been here longer than humans.

Check out some of the testimony on this Youtube channel, former military Men and women telling of their involvement with "aliens"

Sirius Disclosure Project, started by DR. Steven Greer. I dare you to watch.

just one of 63.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
unfortunately, if you cruise youtube, I'm sure you can also find "eyewitnesses" to just about anything imaginable. Big-foot, black-helicopters, ghosts, UFO's, etc.... And "eyewitness" testimony that contradict each other's intended beliefs, etc....

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
unfortunately, if you cruise youtube, I'm sure you can also find "eyewitnesses" to just about anything imaginable. Big-foot, black-helicopters, ghosts, UFO's, etc.... And "eyewitness" testimony that contradict each other's intended beliefs, etc....

Tom, I know for a fact black- helicopters exist. They are based here at Kirkland AFB. 8-)
Most of these accounts speak of an after life that can't be proved or disproved but the accounts
continue.
Like you probably are,I'm hard core over tall tales but there still seems another reality out there.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is really sad, but I wonder if its because the closest gold deposits are 2 to 3 hours away.

Aww c'mon DD, be truthful with everyone here. You know that EVERYTHING is 2 to 3 hours away from Roswell!! LOL

p.s. I spent some time down in Artesia back in 2005/06. Yikes!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread