Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: Scary experiences while detecting/prospecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2015
    Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    353 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Scary experiences while detecting/prospecting.

I know we've all had some strange or even scary experiences while out detecting and or prospecting so I thought I'd create a thread where we can all share our experiences.
    California Kid The Finder and Keeper of treasures. The dirt pirate. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The California Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19473 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great Idea!

I still remember the time I was out at the old Jackson Farm. It was getting dark and I was just about to quit for the day. I took off my headphones and got a strange feeling in my stomach. And then it happened!

Ex-wife #4 called complaining about the alimony check. If that don't scare you nothing will.

us
    Dec 2015
    White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
    353 times
    Lol. I guess funny experiences will be ok too.
    Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Aug 29, 2016 at 03:01 PM.
    California Kid The Finder and Keeper of treasures. The dirt pirate. Keep a look out for my upcoming metal detecting series The California Dirt Pirates. I just became the proud owner of a bunch of detectors and equipment so I will be making a lot of videos testing out each one of these detectors.

us
    Dec 2015
    353 times
    I will start with one of my own scary experiences. I was detecting up in the mountains in Colorado and I had made my way down the slope of the mountain into the trees when I heard something walking and I was out there by myself so the sound caught me by surprise so I stopped and waited to see if I could see anything. I finally was able to catch a glimpse of who was following me. It was a bear and a pretty big one at that but I don't think it was following me as much as it was following something else because it was now walking in front of me almost as if it didn't know I was there or if it did it just didn't care. I walked slowly through the trees until I came to a stream at the bottom of the mountain slope and the bear was walking in the stream catching fish as I jumped across I took one last look at the bear and continued on my way. I walked over toward an area where the bathrooms are and was gonna go sit down and take a break because I needed to rest a while because I had already walked at least 10 miles. I had to cut through another section of forest to get to the restroom area and as I walked out of the trees and started walking toward the picnic tables there was a group of women standing around a fancy black SUV and they looked at me and started screaming and jumped in the SUV and slammed the doors. I thought that was kind of rude that they took one look at me and screamed like I was some big machete wielding generic Hollywood horror movie serial killer or something. I continued walking toward the picnic tables so I could sit down and figure out where I was headed next and I was walking around behind a pickup truck and the man driving that drive was standing beside it getting something out of the cooler in the back of the truck and he told me hello and asked how I was doing but before I could answer him he screamed a string of expletives and leaped on top of his pickup truck and I looked at him like he lost his mind and he pointed at something next to me and I looked to my left and about jumped out of my skin when I saw that there was a mountain lion walking beside me and I had no idea it was even there. I didn't freak out though, I continued walking toward the picnic table and sat down. The mountain lion continued off into the trees and it stopped and looked back at me for a second and continued up the slope of the mountain. I think I ran into the same mountain lion again another time because I had one sit down beside me when I was resting up in the trees in about an hour or 2 away from where the other encounter happened.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8603 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I had a gun pointed at me by a military MP before. He lost his job over that (turns out he had multiple gun-waving incidents in his file). But .... at the time ... staring down the barrel of his gun ... was not fun

us
    Butch

Aug 2015
    Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
    Minelab CTX 3030 Bounty Hunter Garrett Carrot
    344 times
    I once stayed in a Motel 6!
    I searched for a long time, now I have found!

Charter Member
    us
    Sorry Honey, I can’t. I’ve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Ft. Myers FL
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, the Bounty Hunter and Deteknix Quest Pro are collecting dust.
    12516 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I get scared when I have a good target beneath a fire ant mound....
    I invite you to visit my profile, look what I've found!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15111 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Scary like the three times in the late 80's when I was digging targets and county sheriffs tapped me on the shoulder and said I was trespassing.

And that's what drove me out of the hobby for 30 years.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

GTB
    us
    Gregg

Jul 2016
    Cape Coral,Fl
    Excalibur II
    19 times
    Your a very lucky man Cali.
    Last edited by GTB; Aug 29, 2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: double post
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

GTB
    us
    Gregg

Jul 2016
    Cape Coral,Fl
    Excalibur II
    19 times
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Farmer Dan

Aug 2016
    Asheville NC
    Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil Garrett Carrot, GG Amphibian HP, 40"ground shark Keene A52 Sluice box
    435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
    I will start with one of my own scary experiences. I was detecting up in the mountains in Colorado and I had made my way down the slope of the mountain into the trees when I heard something walking and I was out there by myself so the sound caught me by surprise so I stopped and waited to see if I could see anything. I finally was able to catch a glimpse of who was following me. It was a bear and a pretty big one at that but I don't think it was following me as much as it was following something else because it was now walking in front of me almost as if it didn't know I was there or if it did it just didn't care. I walked slowly through the trees until I came to a stream at the bottom of the mountain slope and the bear was walking in the stream catching fish as I jumped across I took one last look at the bear and continued on my way. I walked over toward an area where the bathrooms are and was gonna go sit down and take a break because I needed to rest a while because I had already walked at least 10 miles. I had to cut through another section of forest to get to the restroom area and as I walked out of the trees and started walking toward the picnic tables there was a group of women standing around a fancy black SUV and they looked at me and started screaming and jumped in the SUV and slammed the doors. I thought that was kind of rude that they took one look at me and screamed like I was some big machete wielding generic Hollywood horror movie serial killer or something. I continued walking toward the picnic tables so I could sit down and figure out where I was headed next and I was walking around behind a pickup truck and the man driving that drive was standing beside it getting something out of the cooler in the back of the truck and he told me hello and asked how I was doing but before I could answer him he screamed a string of expletives and leaped on top of his pickup truck and I looked at him like he lost his mind and he pointed at something next to me and I looked to my left and about jumped out of my skin when I saw that there was a mountain lion walking beside me and I had no idea it was even there. I didn't freak out though, I continued walking toward the picnic table and sat down. The mountain lion continued off into the trees and it stopped and looked back at me for a second and continued up the slope of the mountain. I think I ran into the same mountain lion again another time because I had one sit down beside me when I was resting up in the trees in about an hour or 2 away from where the other encounter happened.
    Blessed you are, not because you lived, but for the raw experience.

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Etrac, F75, AT Pro.
    1949 times
    I walk a lot of old trails and they can get narrow or be blocked by large boulders. As I was coming over one such boulder I twisted my ankle, and the ledge was very narrow. As I dropped to my hands and knees I let go of my F75. I watched in horror as my detector went coil over handle down the side of the cliff wall. It landed in a bush, and thank goodness for covers. Amazingly the detector still worked and I walked off the spained ankle enough to get down the mountain. I now have a backpack to carry my toys.

Now I could have shared the story of the mountain lions that were fighting over who was gonna get first bite......

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    3426 times
    Walking a trail to get to a prospecting area I was going with my wife and a friend and his wife,came upon a young bear on the trail, now that didn't scare me but what did was wondering where the mother was,My wife and friends all got behind me and hightailed back down the trail, as I carried a small caliber weapon or so I thought that was the reason, But they later informed me that if the bear attacked, I was a big meal, so they could escape.That was the last time they got to go prospecting with me.
    Last edited by Back-of-the-boat; Aug 29, 2016 at 10:32 PM.
    back of the boat

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GTB View Post
    I agree. You must have a special gift that wild animals do not attack you. From now on, carry a gun.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Great Idea!

I still remember the time I was out at the old Jackson Farm. It was getting dark and I was just about to quit for the day. I took off my headphones and got a strange feeling in my stomach. And then it happened!

Ex-wife #4 called complaining about the alimony check. If that don't scare you nothing will.
    Many of us are wondering how many ex-wives that you have. No wonder that you are poor.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links