ignored by treasure hunter

S

skydiv

I was driving along when I was going by a school I noticed someone MD'ing. So I thought I would turn around and have a little chat, what he's using, what he's found. I walked up to the person and turns out to be a lady, I said "I how ya doing" she said "OK" and left me standing there. HOW RUDE. If she came up to me I would have been polite and talked a bit. Just thought someone else might have came upon her. LOL

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Maybe because she is a lady ....some gals are uncomfortable with guys approaching us when detecting....so they put their guard up.... :)

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
I dont wanna sound mean but when im in a groove i get aggrivated when people wanna play 20 questions. so 9/10 times i iggy them and since i wear head phones they dont know i can really hear them just choose to not respond.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I think I would have responded the same way, unless I knew you were a fellow MDer.

T

TreasureTales

As a female treasure hunter (never claimed to be a lady!), I often get men, women, and kids asking me questions. Sometimes I just don't feel like satisfying their curiosity. Don't take it personally, she was probably a bit nervous or her time was limited. These days, talking to strangers is not always a wise thing to do. When some stranger turns around, gets out of his car and approaches me, I get very nervous and wonder what the heck the guy wants. Next time, get out your detector and join her...that is a better way to get acquainted, IMO.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I agree with skydiv, rude is rude no matter what you are doing. Whether you are MD'ing or not how much effort can it take to be
somewhat human. With the negative attitude sometimes directed
toward our hobby we need to take time to let people understand our
hobby. I love it when the kids follow me around a mountain lake beach
& let them scoop up & keep all the clad & pennies I detect. It's more
fun to me than putting a buck or two in my pocket.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Gypsy is right on...and I'm a male. Sorry if I sound old fashioned but I wouldn't like my wife or girlfriend MDing by themselves in these day and times. Besides, if most are like me, you get focused and don't pay a lot of attention to what's going on around you. I usually have a "friend" in my pocket but I could be jumped before I could ever get any help from it!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v had this happen a couple times.
Even after telling them I'm into detecting also,
they seemed to not care.

I personally take the time to talk no Matter who it is.

as skydiv & Tubecity said. There is no excuse for Being Rude.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion there is no reason to ever be rude.
But as crazy as the world is it does not matter how old, fat, or ugly, you are still a target.
I would never turn my back and keep detecting. I would talk be alert listen it could be the start of another detecting partner for us, but I would keep my hand tight on my detector lisen be alert you would know if hes real or not but if hes not turning your back is the worst thing you could do. Just be freindly and cautios.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I think because she was a woman she may have seemed rude, different unfortunately when its a guy detecting, all we have to do is scratch our b@lls and brag about our finds, she has to wonder if someone is trying to score something other than a clad quarter. A shame but in our times this is reality. I think letting her know you also detect, saying what kind of detector you have would have been better. I think she may have smiled, and said something before brushing you off to find more goodies!! Rarely do I find someone detecting that is rude, happens but not often. Most will take the time to chat especially if they know you detect!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lady detecting on the beach at Daytona one time and when I said hi she just sort of nodded a little and kept on going. I then said I have a metal detector but didn't bring it from Tennessee with me. I just wondered if you found any goodies. She stopped then and showed me a nice ring she found. She said she don't talk to people because she was warned someone might claim to have lost what she showed them. Plus, if she stopped and talked to everyone who was interested she would not get much hunting done. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you ever have anyone say they have a detector

& when you say Cool, What Kind ?

They Freeze & don't know ? :P ??? :P :D

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
A couple scenarios come to mind here....maybe you were the 5th or 6th person to walk up to her.....

maybe she had a bad experience like I have had with sarcastic goofs....

maybe she has been bothered by teens....

Unfortunately I believe her reaction might have been caused by past experience.

I also prefer to be left alone, but if someone approaches me like they are interested, I do act polite and answer their questions. If they act like a jerk or sarcastic which i have had to experience too...I will tell them "I am a millionaire,,,,and yes I am looking for gold....thanks for asking.

But if you approached her properly which I am sure you did, she could have taken 2-3 minutes out of her day and been polite. :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
jeff of pa said:
have you ever have anyone say they have a detector

& when you say Cool, What Kind ?

They Freeze & don't know ? :P ??? :P :D

I have definitely had this happen....had one guy say ...."Oh like yours".....buncha BS....which is why I dont want guys approaching me when hunting....and it happens alot...I feel like I can measure someone up in a hurry , but I always keep distance between me and them and my hand on the AP digging knife....I really get uncomfortable when a guy keeps watching me hunt and then I wont turn my back or stoop to dig until they go away. I think I am friendly and will say a few words ,but am always cautious which to some may seem rude. I know its hard for you guys to understand, but women have to be extra careful out there . I think the lady would have reacted an entirely different way if you had actually had your detector and been hunting too.
I had a guy approach me today at the park...he sauntered over... beer can in hand and said " I really feel for you today" and then said "Thats the quietest weed whacker I have ever seen" ::)....I just smiled nodded and kept whacking away ! :D

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
wow, mixed reviews. I would have spoken with the person, but mainly just to keep them in front of me. But I have had plenty of people honestly just being curious about the hobby. I think almost EVERYONE has seen someone on the beach with one and thought "I wonder what treasure I could find with one of those." so they take the op to ask. Besides, if you are not nice to them, they won't want to be nice to you. Wich may sound trivial, but one thing i have learned in my life, you just never know who is standing in front of you. Could be a bum, or a millionaire who answers the door of the next house your knock on for permission.

T

TreasureTales

Who the heck really cares? It doesn't ruin my day if somebody doesn't acknowledge my presence or stop and talk to me for several minutes. I don't know what is going on with them, maybe they just don't feel like talking to me. Have we become so obsessed with being acknowledged by strangers that we get upset when they don't react in a way we deem appropriate? I mean, move on -- get over it -- who cares?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captain Jack said:
Could be a bum, or a millionaire who answers the door of the next house your knock on for permission.

Could also be a Person Who's Grandfather or other Relative
Just Died.
and Maybe he has Decided to Size you up,
Before Telling you the Story
of How he came to KNOW he / She Buried alot of Cache
on his 18th Century Plantation next to a Revolutionary
or Civil War Battle Ground.
& was wondering IF you may be able to help.

I wouldn't want to Blow that person off without
giving them a Chance ;)

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Interesting topic... I think it all comes down to two things. Women behave differently from men for a lot of various reasons. We've been raised differently. Our daddies taught us to be VERY VERY careful out in the big mean world and especially in the company of men. And they're VERY right to do so. I'm sure all the guys here who have a daughter understand. There are a lot of good guys out there, but there are an equal if not greater number of not-so-good guys. The other thing is that people hunt for different reasons. For some, it's a social thing- and whether it's metal detecting, hunting point, dump-digging, there's an official club for it, or people just decide to get together to do their favorite hobby. For others, it's a solitary "alone time' zen thing. I belong to the second catagory. Having worked in the restaurant industry for over 25 years, my world is loud and full of people both friends and strangers. My relief comes when I can walk alone outside in God's beautiful landscape, gather my thoughts, pray, sing or hum a little... It's sacred time, really. But I make it a point to NOT put myself in a populated area-- so as to avoid exactly what I'm Not looking for-- company. I won't be rude if confronted, but I don't like being watched, and I won't detect for long if someone's lurking w/ no purpose other than watching me (yes, they could also be watching something else, but I don't know that). I've been known to pack up and leave if I don't have a good 'feeling' about the situation. So, I think, in this instance, you should try not to take it personally ('rude' is a word which explains why someone has taken offense-- which is personal). The world can be a dicey place sometimes. We do what we feel we should or must-- so our grandchildren have time to get to know us! My life and my sanity are worth more than any treasure in the universe, because they are reflected in my grandsons's eyes...
Interesting that such a 'simple' issue of perceved rudeness can actually go much deeper, eh?

R

RUDY2003

This is a very intresting topic. I have NEVER seen another detectorist when I'm out but I do talk to people whenever they approach. Usually its' "Finding anything good?". Then sometimes they say you know where you aught to go.......
That has helped in the past. I will say that with the way the world is, you cannot be too careful. Thanks to the concealed handgun license law we have here in Texas, you can feel a little more safe.......

Keep safe....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread