Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably came in with expectations set too high, a not uncommon occurrence.
You should know going in that the majority of what you'll find is pure junk and face value coins - And also keep in mind that not every parcel of land that you swing is going to have valuable old coins lurking, just waiting to be dug up.

Key is to keep expectations in check and check a variety of locations, not a matter of if but when you'll run into an untapped honey hole. Look for grassy lots where houses once stood, most are untapped and waiting to produce. You'd be surprised what you can see in a lot when your eyes are honed to detecting that you ordinarily would have never noticed. Ok, here is the sidewalk, broken up and almost covered by dirt and grass, that once led up to the front porch. Here ,, And there, trees once were May be something obvious like remnants of the stump, or usually a shallow depression if it was completely remove. There is a tree off to the side, must have been there when the house was there. Here must have been the back yard, ect.

Of course, not every lot has silvers, many if not most that are undetected do. Can be dicey with neighbors/property issues ect, so good judgement is called for. Also pays to do research, where were gathering spots in your area in 1920, and what has become of those areas ? Some may be covered with parking lots and buildings now, but there might be some grassy areas still left. Google maps can help scoping out detecting spots.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The following is a 5 step plan for your success. 1.Take your machine and a roll of duck tape to your favorite site. 2. Set your machine up. 3. Duck tape your screen. 4. Hunt. 5. Dig. You can also use a small paper sack and a rubber band. Works just as well.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best threads I've read. Great encouragement in everyone's replies. Awesome!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just a thought of a spot to look for, ask around the older people of the neighborhood, where back in the old days did people go sledding or tobogganing down hills, you can probably find old silver coins/rings/watches there you just need to find that old spot that hasn't been found yet.

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The funny thing is--- my family has grown up here their whole life. I know all the places to go around my 10mile area. I just don't seem to get deep finds. My dads farmhouse and church from the 1800's is a bust. The farmhouse is tough becuase all the barns were torn down and the land is a Iron sounding mess. I hunt the church a lot but haven't found but 2 wheats and a lot of clad.
I'll keep it up. Searching and researching I love all the topics. It's a great group here

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I'm gonna reiterate a point: as someone above stated, these machines have all sorts of bells and whistles. That is great for marketing! If you are new to the hobby, you are going to have to go out and dig every single signal regardless of what these bells and whistles are indicating. I'll never forget being taught this by a very great relic hunter. We were hunting ACW artifacts and we had the same machines. Yet, he was pulling artifacts up as if it were a virgin spot! After an hour of hunting a supposed "hunted out spot" he had dug around 20 Minnie balls. He was even coming behind me and recovering artifacts I had passed over. I was paying attention to my machine's bells and whistles. I was very aggravated! He took me aside, said "come here and run your machine over this signal." I did. My meter did not register. He said "that signal is a Minnie ball. It's just very deep!" His machine "indicated" the same thing. I thought my machine was "indicating" iron. He said no! He let me dig it. At around 16 inches, I pulled up a Confederate Enfield. I was dumbfounded! I had to spend many, many and many more hours understanding my machine, absent the bells and whistles. I've still yet to understand my machine, but ever time I go, I learn a little more. However, my production has gone up exponentially!! You're gonna have to stretch your "machine" (not the bells and whistle) to its limit. You can do this, but it can be back-breaking. But I promise, the pay-off is incredible! Nothing comes easy, regardless of what marketing departments try to sell to us!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I noticed 2 things here. First you said you know all the sites in a 10 mile radius. Try expanding your search, as I suggested to 20 - 30 mile radius ok. You can alwys go back to your 10 mile radius ok. Second is that DISCRIMINATION (IMO) is the Bane of Treasure Hunting. It's nice to have but if you truly want to know what that signal is then DIG IT.!!! Use your machine. Not the bells and whistles ok. Callicles gave you an excellent example of what I'm talking about in action in the field with a Pro ok. To learn all the bells and whistles on today's machines you would have to be a Rhodes Scholar.!!! Even I don't know them all. Scary ain't it.!!! Think about what we are saying and I promise your finds WILL increase exponentially ok. Let us know ok. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know your disposition, but my years of experience tells me you are sitting on a gold mine there in Detroit area. There are large areas of that city that is abandoned. You may have concerns of being in those parts of the city but I have worked such places with no problems. It's merely a timing thing. Think of the people that might concern you as vampires, they avoid the morning light. Be on sight at day break and you'll see no one for 3 hours or so. Research those areas that where developed and in use from 1880 to 1930. Those where the 'hay days' for a multitude of reasons I won't go into here but as a treasure hunter you should be well aware them. Homes and business sites fitting the criteria will yield good finds. Just a tip from your 'uncle vinny'.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know your disposition, but my years of experience tells me you are sitting on a gold mine there in Detroit area. There are large areas of that city that is abandoned. You may have concerns of being in those parts of the city but I have worked such places with no problems. It's merely a timing thing. Think of the people that might concern you as vampires, they avoid the morning light. Be on sight at day break and you'll see no one for 3 hours or so. Research those areas that where developed and in use from 1880 to 1930. Those where the 'hay days' for a multitude of reasons I won't go into here but as a treasure hunter you should be well aware them. Homes and business sites fitting the criteria will yield good finds. Just a tip from your 'uncle vinny'.

Good point, alot of guys from the Burbs would not think of [and don't] detect in the hood - And with good reason.
I have detected alot in the hood with good results, but it can be tough to luck into a good spot. Most abandoned areas of ground are overgrown and reclaimed by nature, with all manners of filth and trash littering the surface. The parcels that are maintained and mowed are owned by someone, even if there are no structures around, and often have No Trespassing signs.

Just gotta be creative and look around as you drive, maybe use google maps too. There are plenty of old, relatively safe parks ,,, But as with most others, they tend to be pounded and crazy with trash. I detected one right in front of the historic [and abandoned] train station, literally a ding with every swing, found nothing but caps and clad and lost patience within an hour. But your premise is correct, Detroit and most other major cities were well populated and active way before the suburbs, many of which remained forested swampland for many decades after the big cities were established, so it stands to reason odds are increased there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread