Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I survived the terrible ordeal of losing everything I own to the disastrous flood that hit my area of Louisiana. We had spent the night to the wee hours of the morning digging a trench to make the 4 ft levee around my house up to 6 ft...the lost the battle at daylight. The water was so swift, anything in it's path was washed away...including 42 head of cattle. We were rescued by boat, & they drove right over the fences to the river to take us to higher ground. 3 detectors survived by being just the coils & stems submerged, My Minelab Go Find did not survive (received in March as a gift), also lost both White's Bullseye pinpointers. All my old bottles & Indian artifacts were safe on the top shelf library. All the rusty, crusty iron I found over the years were all yucky...so this was thrown away.

Everything that was submerged in 5 feet of water inside was all thrown out to front yard by the gutting crew. I will have to detect that area for nails & whatever I find.

As disastrous as if was for us, some folks were not so fortunate. We were one of the few who had flood insurance...those who didn't have, already been paid by FEMA. Homeowners insurance does not pay for floods. Flood insurance company wants quantity, serial #, model #, how old, price paid. Duh, how do you set a price on something priceless like all your photos, military records, all types of certificates?

River Rat (Judie)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you are OK, and back on line. I am so sorry for your losses. I know what it feels like to lose everything and have to start over. Welcome back! :occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We lost everything to a house fire some years back, but I grew up near the Texas Gulf Coast and know very well the kind of hurricane flooding you speak of. Yes, you were lucky - not only to have flood insurance, but to have gotten off fairly easy. After the house fire, we found that the insurance company really doesn't give a darn about photos or papers....UNLESS they have some sort of monetary value. It's all $-signs to them.

Glad you're safe! Sorry about the cattle, also.

Good luck with the insurance company!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not pretty when Mother Nature throws a fit.
Good that you and the family are okay.
Most military records and medals can be replaced with help from the American Legion or VFW.
The insurance companies are all about receipts and estimated values. Sometimes there are possessions that are priceless.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Judie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :occasion14: Main thing is all survived!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread