Next To my house Construction demo should i hit it?

Manknee

May 22, 2012
Nj
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 8.5X11 DD COIL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160928_181850.jpg
20160928_181905.jpg
I got an itch that cant be ignored. Sun down in 20min

OP
OP
Manknee

Manknee

May 22, 2012
Nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two massive stumps removed

OP
OP
Manknee

Manknee

May 22, 2012
Nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1475101872031367051451.jpg
Got these with me plus detector.

OP
OP
Manknee

Manknee

May 22, 2012
Nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14751054616961779056557.jpg
Went by the stumps with my pro pointer and two nails. Funny how right when you go detecting all the neighbors start going to thier cars lights also go on in the houses. Lol I know theres coins in there. The holes left from the stumps oh man i got to hit hard. Permission just seems the right way incase of nosy onlookers.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I never hesitate for a moment to hunt any old town demolition site I come across.

OP
OP
Manknee

Manknee

May 22, 2012
Nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely tom, problem is this is right next to a major roadway, i want permission to hunt in peace. Seems like its stalled , no workers for a week. Its in the back of my mind the goodies that might be in that soil. I might hit it early.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi; GO FOR IT.!!! nobody else will. As long as your not disturbing traffic I say there is no problem. You may be amazed at what yu will find. Dig everything. you have nothing to lose fr sure. Good Luck & Post the pictures ok. PEACE:RONB :headbang:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to the contractor. I don't see any barricades in the pictures. Explain to them that you're just curious about old silver coins being buried in the area that they tore up. Tell them that some of the neighbors are nosy and that you just want to be able to say that you have permission to metal detect after the work is done for the day.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Talk to the contractor. I don't see any barricades in the pictures.....

,,,,, i want permission to hunt in peace. ....

Well sure. We all want permission, to have a feeling of ease and peace, right ? So that if anyone questions you, you can whip out your permission and they'll slink away, right ? Naturally this is most calming.

However, the problem is, that most of the time, from most any demolition contractor, is that you'll get a "no". Even if, truth be told, the thought never crossed their mind, nor would they have glanced twice, and are long gone by 5:30pm, etc... Because the moment they say "yes", they have images of legal ramifications, liability, etc.... Hence the easy answer is most always "no".

So while it's true that some city or contractor's Permission slip gives "peace", yet you'll find yourself precluded from most good demolition sites. We had this problem in our club, where those coming in with the goodies at each month's show & tell, were sometimes met with "How'd you get in there to hunt ? We asked and got told no , so ... how is it fair that you hunted there and we couldn't ?" ( for example at a public school's demolition project)

OP
OP
Manknee

Manknee

May 22, 2012
Nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you're right , people leave garbage spread everywhere, on others property. But when we whip out the detectors we become the bad guys. It bothers me a bit. We do a service for the community permission shouldnt be in our minds when we hunt.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.....But when we whip out the detectors we become the bad guys.....

Yup. Metal detecting has "connotations ". Not every last person is going to fall in love with you, or roll out red carpets for you. Hence I will simply avoid running into such people. If that means detecting at night, so be it. ;)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say hit it tonight or at 5 am when lookie Lou's are away

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put an orange vest on, tool belt, hard hat, whatever......look the look and detect away

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, the problem is, that most of the time, from most any demolition contractor, is that you'll get a "no". Even if, truth be told, the thought never crossed their mind, nor would they have glanced twice, and are long gone by 5:30pm, etc... Because the moment they say "yes", they have images of legal ramifications, liability, etc.... Hence the easy answer is most always "no".

So while it's true that some city or contractor's Permission slip gives "peace", yet you'll find yourself precluded from most good demolition sites. We had this problem in our club, where those coming in with the goodies at each month's show & tell, were sometimes met with "How'd you get in there to hunt ? We asked and got told no , so ... how is it fair that you hunted there and we couldn't ?" ( for example at a public school's demolition project)

Twenty six years with NYC Transit and another 24 years in the construction trade,, if there is one thing I learned during that time: "You must secure the area"
That means constructing containment areas and installing barricades with proper reflective bunting and signage. From what I see in the pictures above, none of these precautionary measures were taken. You can walk into that site, step into a hole, break your ankle, and hire a good lawyer. I can't authorize you to go in there but prior to this demo, would you have had a problem if you were to swing a coil across that property. It looks like a sidewalk to me. I didn't know that scanning a grass island or median that is adjacent the curb was illegal. It belongs to the city or town, and there are no barricades or signage present that say:
"Do not enter"

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I originally answered this post from viewing from my smart phone. And on smart phone, pix are not easy to see.

Now I'm seeing it on my desk-top 'puter, and see that this "demolition site" appears to be right next to a residential house. Eh ? If so, then I do not apply my brazen "don't ask silly questions" philosophy to obvious residential urban yards. As opposed to nameless faceless corporation or public land, etc.... So .... sorry for possible mis-application of "just go" stance.

Especially if, as you say, this is your neighbor. If so, won't your neighbor be ok with it and just say "help yourself" ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread