Ok do any of you change coils in the middle of a hunt?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I change quite often if I find a lot of trash or there is some other reason that the standard coil isn't a good match for a particular hunt. I recently hunted a very trashy park with my MXT. Started out with the standard coil and it was a disaster. Changed to the 4x6 shooter coil and it worked through the heavy trash much better. Like night and day. For what it's worth in my opinion, I find myself using the standard or smaller coils way more than the larger coils and they are more pleasant to swing. Have made some nice finds with the 4" coil on my Tesoros.

Limited experience by me at this point, but the MXT I bought came with both the 4x6 shooter and the 5.3. After the experience mentioned above, the next time I went out I tried the 5.3. They both were superior in heavy trash to the standard 9.5", but I think I'd give the 4x6 a slight edge. I believe the DD pattern of that coil slips thru the trash a bit better than the 5.3. Hope this is helpful to anyone reading.
Cheers and dig often,
luvsdux

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
luvsdux said:
I change quite often if I find a lot of trash or there is some other reason that the standard coil isn't a good match for a particular hunt. I recently hunted a very trashy park with my MXT. Started out with the standard coil and it was a disaster. Changed to the 4x6 shooter coil and it worked through the heavy trash much better. Like night and day. For what it's worth in my opinion, I find myself using the standard or smaller coils way more than the larger coils and they are more pleasant to swing. Have made some nice finds with the 4" coil on my Tesoros.

Limited experience by me at this point, but the MXT I bought came with both the 4x6 shooter and the 5.3. After the experience mentioned above, the next time I went out I tried the 5.3. They both were superior in heavy trash to the standard 9.5", but I think I'd give the 4x6 a slight edge. I believe the DD pattern of that coil slips thru the trash a bit better than the 5.3. Hope this is helpful to anyone reading.
Cheers and dig often,
luvsdux

Nice post thanks! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread