All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mason jar lids are not iron. They are conductive metal (albeit a poor conductor chintzy brittle metal). Thus no, the lid would not mask anything.

I dig mason jar lids all the time when in relic hunting environments. And they come up conductive, not non-conductive.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
A jar at 12" and full of old coins almost any metal detector is going to scream.

I too find lids. So if anything they help.

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a mason jar lid that sounded pretty darn nice the other day. Unfortunately there was no jar full of coins...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should test your detector on the scenario. A large amount of coins like that could easily cause you detector to give you an overload signal. Some detector are factory set to block all overload signals, so that pile of silver could be ignored without you knowing it.

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should test your detector on the scenario. A large amount of coins like that could easily cause you detector to give you an overload signal. Some detector are factory set to block all overload signals, so that pile of silver could be ignored without you knowing it.

I didnt even think of that! I just figured they were hubcaps! Im gonna have to go back over some properties. Thanks Jason!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt even think of that! I just figured they were hubcaps! Im gonna have to go back over some properties. Thanks Jason!

One thing to keep in mind is that caches like that are very rare. It's probably 99% chance that every one of those big signals is a big piece of junk, but if you never dig them, you will NEVER find a cache.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mason jar lids are not iron. They are conductive metal (albeit a poor conductor chintzy brittle metal). Thus no, the lid would not mask anything.

I dig mason jar lids all the time when in relic hunting environments. And they come up conductive, not non-conductive.

I was actually differentiating between ferrous and non-ferrous...I call all ferrous steel "iron", like all colas are "coke".
Detectors give a different signal of course tween ferrous and non-f...I tend to ignore iron grunts, my style of hunting, so if the jar lid donald trumps the coins beneath, I will do a dionne warwick and walk on by.
But / maybe the roundness and signal strength will give a higher tone, or maybe the more conductive coins will bleed thru the masking.
I did find a pile of coins once (none rare but all before 1933) deep in an old abandoned yard, but there was no lid, just a reddish smear of dirt and broken glass. I almost didn't dig it cuz the signal was large in area, like a tin can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions