Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a complex of 89 Apartment Buildings in NYC. There are approximately 8,750 apartments. The complex is built on 80 acres of land.
That may sound like a lot of concrete and brick but the original Developers were keeping the returning WWII Veterans in mind when they built the complex. With many raising a family and working as civil servants, (Police, Fire Department, Sanitation, etc), the original tenants welcomed the open lawns and playgrounds. Besides being nicknamed an "Oasis in The City", it was also called "Baby Carriage City"
The 12 playgrounds and open lawns probably make up 30 acres of open space.
The trees and grass are a magnet for many birds on their annual migratory trips. Also add the bounty of squirrels and pigeons that are waiting to be picked off by birds of prey such as small hawks.
On Tuesday, I glanced out my window and caught the image of a large bird landing on the roof above my apartment. It was a Red Tail Hawk which stayed still long enough for me to get a few pictures. Notice the tail. There was an article on the news about these hawks flying over landfills that have chimney stacks with Methane Gas fires burning. The Migrating Hawks are flying through the Burning Methane and their tail feathers are getting scorched. (Not Good).
IMG_5194.JPG IMG_5193.JPG

Last night, I was also visited by this little warbler. It was well after dark and I guess the light shining from my open bathroom window was an invitation it couldn't resist. The night time temps are now in the fifties so maybe that contributed to this bird seeking a warmer place to roost. It is very dangerous for these birds to fly in the complex during the day and even worse at night. Numerous birds are found dead on the complex grounds due to a window strike. Unfortunately they will sometimes fly into the glass of an open window.

IMG_5191.JPG IMG_5192.JPG

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your apartments sound like a silver mine for metal detecting!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post is for the birds.

Loved it! :occasion14:

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your apartments sound like a silver mine for metal detecting!

Thanks Jason, ,
The complex was built in the late 40's, and the first apartments were moved into in 1949. Prior to that the neighborhood was known as the gas house district. That was because of old abandoned gas tanks and walk up tenements. Demolition did not include a complete removal of all debris. Most basements were filled in and bulldozed over. The grassy lawns, were off limits, except during the winter, and only when covered with snow. I used a metal detector to locate a valve box for a leaking fire hydrant. Other than that, no one is allowed to metal detect on the property.

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cool place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread