Not open for further replies.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply.As I mentioned in the first sentence of my thread I knew I would be opening myself up to criticism and I hoped it would generate some discussion and... I also knew that unless I find the Holy Grail I will likely never find something that makes the Banner :laughing7: Having said that one reason I like this particular forum is because of the"Banner'. To me relying on the shear number of votes criteria to determine a banner at some point becomes a bit of people jumping on the bandwagon. I fully agree that that gold coins are great finds and to most are obvious banner finds( on my bucket list). However what initially and still attracts me to a banner find is that it gets special recognition and notice. No I'am not looking for a pat on the back . Rather I see it as a find that not only draws attention, but more importantly informs less knowledgeable members that there are great finds besides lets say a gold piece. Hell , I didn't even know what I had until Iron patch ID'd it for me( see original thread). And I can assure you that a lot of people would have looked more closely had it been "highlighted" and learned something. I love this hobby and my main argument against the archeology types is that we detectorist's save a ton of history ; look at my button, who knows in 20 years it may have crumbed away and be lost forever. This is where I think those with the final say need to step in . You moderator types know what is rare and important ; maybe not sexy like a gold coin but in a sense a much more exciting find. And no I still feel my button should have been highlighted and despite those neysayers, not to massage my ego, but to educate and enlighten people on significant and very neat finds. I think "vpone" and "against the wind" made excellent points in their respective posts. Change isn't always bad .

if you look at the post
Banners & How they work

You will see there are exceptions to the Vote numbers.
but Votes still need to come in.
If the item is book Rare or not makes little difference to me, sorry to say.
in most cases , I believe to have the Value & rarity quoted, the Item must be found in a Drawer, which unfortunately would disqualify it anyway. My point sharp Detail means everything to me. When I banner something on Member Votes & I look up & see a Blurry pic
it Breaks my Heart :tongue3: so I prefer pics I'm confident are Clear, Sharp no Camera Flashes or weak Strikes.

to get me to over-ride the voting the item must be rare to the banner.
and make me, Or one of the other Mods say WOW Cool ! That should be up !
Still it must get My attention from someone first.
and I have to feel If the right members were seeing it, They would agree.

and it can't look like a twin to something up there at the moment.
Just because Member 1 gets his $20.00 Gold Piece on the Banner this morning.
Doesn't mean Member 2 gets his Gold piece Bannered if Member 1's is still up there
as 1 of the last 12 Bannered finds.

I see members say That's an Automatic Banner :( Sorry to say,
I've seen No such thing yet. I suppose a 20 Million year old Flying Saucer
from an Unknown planet, dug by one of our members and hits every news Media in the World the same time it is posted here, & I see it.
I would say WOW That's an Automatic Banner :notworthy:

I know our Banner is important to Some. & personally I like to think my
attitude on what I will & will not allow up there has allot to do with it :laughing7:
Ego ya Know :laughing7:

Again I don't want to put down your find. It apparently deserved Banner.
and if it would have gotten the Votes on it's Merit, and had enough detail to
make me believe it would have shown detail on the banner. it would have been there.

keep diggin ! Hopefully one day you'll Get that find that Will Qualify. :icon_thumright:

& Don't be afraid to take Plenty of Pictures, From different Angles
and Light sources.

this is Not about yours; but One thing that would disappoint me would be one Pic
the words today's Find, & nothing else.
Not sure I'd personally banner it on a hundred votes.
:tongue3: Details Mon ! Details :tongue3: if a Member is proud of a find.
They shouldn't be Speechless on the Forum.
That doesn't mean Coordinates, But it does mean
details on the Day. generally the type of site , other finds,
if you were alone or not etc. take us with you in spirit.
thoughts when you Dug it & when you realized it was special. etc.

other things to consider.

don't take pictures through display cases.
Insitu are OK but in most cases a reenactment is obvious.
don't tell us your only posting because it is special. (we like to know you like sharing, not a once a year poster.)
Don't broadcast you want banner.

Last edited:

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know your fustration on banner finds i just found a fugio coin designed by ben franklin in 1787 nice pics real nice write up about the coin there has been thousands of gold coins found but how many fugio coins have come through here? just wondering

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason... buttons have never interested me.
I see a button post and never click on em.

So... anyone out there that wonders why I have not said something about their button. heh

Like Against The Wind said... "I don't know squat".

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope everyone that wants to make a BANNER find gets one but for the life of me I have no idea why it means so much to so many people. I do my best to look at everyone's treasures when they post them and to me all old stuff and some of the newer stuff that is posted are treasures in their own right. I have made several finds that at one time may have been considered banner worthy but I could care less. I for one do not like bringing attention to myself unless I've had a drink or two then I'm sorta like a lighting bug, I want to show my butt and everyone see it. I look at all the banner finds and am proud for the ones that make it. Very seldom do I post my neater stuff when I find it but I like looking at the posters that do post it when they find it, I do get annoyed at digging video's though. Banner worthy means nothing to me but I am glad and proud of the people that do make it. Life is short, have fun and every day you get to detect is a BANNER day regardless of what you find...d2

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah Yes, Gold, The four letter word" Archaeologist actually hate Gold finds because it tends to stop everything and governments get involved and yada...yada...yada...

but we sure love it":laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I found a rare 1774 1/4 ounce British gold guinea from a known shipwreck. Silence. This year I found a Confederate buckle that made banner. Personally, I think the coin was better. If given a choice I would remove the buckle and add the coin. There are a lot more confederate buckles out there than gold shipwreck coins, but as was said previously, this is only the internet. 0101010111001110111 and all that electronic notation stuff. I am not complaining. And I keep most everything I find. I just like playing in the dirt. That's pretty much it. These things are just "things". History, yes, but still things. Always keep that in perspective. Thesedays, Arthritis is making it harder and harder though, maybe I can go on a little longer. Trips are getting shorter though. Hitting CW sites this week including where I got that other buckle, then back to the beach where the coin came from. Must be more there but we need some winter storms to churn things up. Matthew didn't do much here.

I found a GREAT HUGE DIAMOND ear stud Sunday. However, I think the diamond is not real. I'm going to have to have it tested.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't go hunting for fame nor fortune. While the latter might visit, the former will never darken my door.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
For some reason... buttons have never interested me.
I see a button post and never click on em.

So... anyone out there that wonders why I have not said something about their button. heh

Like Against The Wind said... "I don't know squat".

Same here regarding buttons. GW buttons to be more specific, they're a dime a dozen. Slave tags are starting to reach that status with me as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here regarding buttons. GW buttons to be more specific, they're a dime a dozen. Slave tags are starting to reach that status with me as well.

Yes I think the same.
I know they are supposed to be super rare & I'd like to Find one too.
I'm happy for those who Do of Course.
if someone finds one in Extra great photographic Condition & gets the Reports while non are Showing up there,
It would get Bannered. but
When someone finds a hand full, Can they really be called Rare ?

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This - congrats on the find but don't worry about the forum fame. It really doesn't matter.
..agoldigger...Is right forum fame does not matter . You do not really know any one on most forums so what do you care about what they think ..

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
A banner find posted on a forum, and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee. Well, at a some places it will.:tongue3:

Next thing you know, someone is going to complain that the forum is not PC, or is discriminating against non banner finders, and everyone should get a trophy for just participating.

Jeff, please send me my participating trophy, or I am going to raise a stink about it. :goldtrophy:

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A banner find posted on a forum, and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee. Well, at a some places it will.:tongue3:

Next thing you know, someone is going to complain that the forum is not PC, or is discriminating against non banner finders, and everyone should get a trophy for just participating.

Jeff, please send me my participating trophy, or I am going to raise a stink about it. :goldtrophy:
Read the entire thread before you cast aspersions.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His post was over 4 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread