Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All , before I get criticized for having a sour grape attitude and told to post elsewhere I would like to voice concerns regarding "banner" finds and what qualifies. My main issue is with those people : I assume the moderators, who make the final approval on what qualifies as banner. Last month I found what turned out to be a very rare and valuable rev war button and was gracious to all those who replied and to those who nominated it for the banner. Again I thank all of you who read and liked my thread. My issue comes not only with the find not making banner but with those finds that always make the banner..namely gold coins . Now I get it and I believe gold coins are rare and should always be banner worthy. However from a rarity standpoint and value standpoint ; not to mention historical importance ,the button I found far exceeds on all counts that of many , if not most of the gold coins found. So call me out if you wish, but that's how I feel. Step it up moderators to give those less "glamorous " finds a little credit ; you have left me disappointed.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
"Sour grapes" not sorry grapes, if you had sorry grapes, everyone would feel sorry for you... because of the sorry grapes.

sour grapes Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

You found a killer button, I am envious of you. Good job. Don't worry about a banner... it's just the internet. No big deal. Congrats brother!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all, it is the administrators who decide, so leave the Mods out of it

second, I have the same issue with my 64 silver quarter.
I should get a banner and the $500 that goes with it

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that you got that off your chest, I hope you are feeling better. Many others have had banner worthy finds that did not go up top. I dug a gold pocket watch last season, but I did not play it up in my post nor did I take any great pictures of the item (by itself). We live and learn. Just know that in the future when you have a great find, let everyone know about it without using the term banner. Be sure to take a great pic or two and then let the dust settle where it may. Just getting a nomination is a win in my book.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attacking finds that made the banner isn't going to help your cause at all...Just as campaigning for banner makes it harder to make banner...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gaspipe,
I sense your frustration and share your viewpoint.
My similar concern is when (for example) a gold coin makes the Banner yet it has not been authenticated. It just looks good and the back story is interesting-but is the coin authentic? Another example is the finding a coin from (say) the period of the Crusades or a hoard of (say) Russian coins that is a 'one in a million' find--yet the feedback (responses) are few and without much more than 'WTG' comments. Perhaps like your button find, the majority of membership is not aware of its educational,historic, or collector's value; they may see only a lack of 'eye candy' and therefore 'pass' on giving the artifact its proper respect (a Banner vote).

I'm not qualified to give anyone 'advise', but I can coach you (my recommendation) to just 'let it go'; keep reporting your discoveries and showing your finds. You may know the 'true value' of a particular find; and you may have expressed that opinion, but to press for recognition (or even expect recognition) is not where I would go. IMO, I would take all that energy and direct it back to making more educational and historic finds--and enjoy this journey called life.
Don....

OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attacking finds that made the banner isn't going to help your cause at all...Just as campaigning for banner makes it harder to make banner...

This reply is very unfair. I said nothing to "attack" banner finds nor did I ever in my original thread "campaign" for it to make the banner.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reply is very unfair. I said nothing to "attack" banner finds nor did I ever in my original thread "campaign" for it to make the banner.

By saying your find far exceeds on all counts many if not all gold coins that made banner, your attacking the ones that made banner....

My issue comes not only with the find not making banner but with those finds that always make the banner..namely gold coins . Now I get it and I believe gold coins are rare and should always be banner worthy. However from a rarity standpoint and value standpoint ; not to mention historical importance ,the button I found far exceeds on all counts that of many , if not most of the gold coins found. So call me out if you wish, but that's how I feel. Step it up moderators to give those less "glamorous " finds a little credit ; you have left me disappointed.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times peple say they vote banner then they do not. I see it every day.Sometimes it will be weeks before an item gets up there because there are like items up there. But then the guys starts campaigning for votes and sending e-mails asking for votes or makes a post in the open forum complaining.... so then it will never go up there. Banners are what people like. It can be the rarest of the rare old coin and only get one vote but it is not going to make banner unless people vote.
The item needs to stand on its own two legs in the forum after it is posted.
We have this same conversation every month.
It boils down to the last decision being Jeffs after discussions and research and votes. Then if it is a good story good pics and has the votes and a legit find it usually makes it but sometimes it may be a few weeks as other items are in front of it waiting. Sometimes they are blasted up there by a 100 votes too.
I see things every day that are super rare and banner worthy that never make it. Especially when I see 13,000 year old stone projectiles found with great insitu's some worth thousands.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How can anything be "authenticated", really ?
Are we to set up a truth posse that is dispatched around the globe to investigate "banner worthy" finds ?
[I note that the OP has deleted reference to authenticating]

I think that anyone who gripes about not making banner and/or even mentions banner in a finds post should be automatically disqualified for life from further consideration no matter what they find, just too trivial a subject for grown men to bother with.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures need to be clear & Sharp.
especially if the item stands on it's own.

Gold coins get allot of Reports.
still Pictures need to be Sharp & clear.

I see you had 2 Posts a week or so apart on the same find.
I just merged them together. A cleaned up pic Posted separately
does not Qualify as a Today's find.
plus if each thread gets 1 Vote, That still only Counts as 1 Vote.

Now onto your find Qualifying. Sorry to Say I don't see anywhere near enough votes for your button.

if this is the one

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ds-copper-buttons-lettered-pewter-button.html

Nice Find apparently, But finds must get votes to draw my attention first.
once that happens I watch to see if it's more then just a friend voting for his hunting partner.

Last edited:

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my thoughts

makes sense - thanks for the clarification Jeff

but an interesting question - here is my two cents:
I think there are a lot of 'banner worthy' finds (or what I would consider worthy) that get passed over but it's like asking two different men at a bar to point out the 'prettiest' woman there
- they might have totally different ideas on the subject, so the way TNET has chosen to settle it (good or bad) is by voting

I had a very rare Machin Mills over NJ
but I don't think anyone really knew what it was - I know it was appraised for $6000 - (sold at Sach's auction for $1000 though :) )
but it is what it is right?

Take care all,
vp

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY,, and IGNORANT too!
I'm talking about me of course. I don't know squat about buttons or how rare some are. I enjoy reading posts by guys and gals who have made some exceptional Colonial and Pre-Colonial finds. I also rely on our T-Net experts to bring forth some educational information and the importance of that exceptional find.
In the Treasure Hunting World, , there are so many different descriptions of Treasure. Some people specialize in Roman /Saxon artifacts, while others are always looking for an evasive American Civil War find. I enjoy a mixed bag but I'm primarily a coin shooter. The knowledge on TNET is vast. However, not one member has ALL of that knowledge.
When I see a fellow TNET member post a Gold Coin find, I pretty much push the BANNER button. (I'm Guilty). For me, it is the ultimate find among coin shooters.
I have never recovered a Gold Coin but I'm genuinely happy for and inspired by,, those who do. I don't concern myself with the Authenticity of a post. I leave that to the Administrators of the forum site.
I love this hobby. I really enjoy reading posts and articles made by other people who are just as deeply involved in this addiction.
I have looked at some finds fresh out of the ground. I have held those finds in my hand and still did not know what I was looking at. That's okay. There are numerous members who will help with the identification.
I guess I would feel a little rejected if I finally found a Gold Coin, posted it, and a few of you guys didn't feel it warranted a Banner vote. I do know that I would feel the ultimate joy of having found a Gold Coin, and nothing would be able to take that away.
I congratulate you on finding a very rare Revolutionary War button. You are the expert in that area. I know that you know the importance of that find. I hope you continue to cherish your accomplishment and that you continue to help educate others.
If you and I were to share a hunt, I would hope that you would forgive me my ignorance for not knowing that I just dug a really rare button.
Good luck on your future hunts and hug a fellow treasure hunter today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures need to be clear & Sharp.
especially if the item stands on it's own.

Gold coins get allot of Reports.
still Pictures need to be Sharp & clear.

I see you had 2 Posts a week or so apart on the same find.
I just merged them together. A cleaned up pic Posted separately
does not Qualify as a Today's find.
plus if each thread gets 1 Vote, That still only Counts as 1 Vote.

Now onto your find Qualifying. Sorry to Say I don't see anywhere near enough votes for your button.

if this is the one

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ds-copper-buttons-lettered-pewter-button.html

Nice Find apparently, But finds must get votes to draw my attention first.
once that happens I watch to see if it's more then just a friend voting for his hunting partner.

Thanks for the reply.As I mentioned in the first sentence of my thread I knew I would be opening myself up to criticism and I hoped it would generate some discussion and... I also knew that unless I find the Holy Grail I will likely never find something that makes the Banner :laughing7: Having said that one reason I like this particular forum is because of the"Banner'. To me relying on the shear number of votes criteria to determine a banner at some point becomes a bit of people jumping on the bandwagon. I fully agree that that gold coins are great finds and to most are obvious banner finds( on my bucket list). However what initially and still attracts me to a banner find is that it gets special recognition and notice. No I'am not looking for a pat on the back . Rather I see it as a find that not only draws attention, but more importantly informs less knowledgeable members that there are great finds besides lets say a gold piece. Hell , I didn't even know what I had until Iron patch ID'd it for me( see original thread). And I can assure you that a lot of people would have looked more closely had it been "highlighted" and learned something. I love this hobby and my main argument against the archeology types is that we detectorist's save a ton of history ; look at my button, who knows in 20 years it may have crumbed away and be lost forever. This is where I think those with the final say need to step in . You moderator types know what is rare and important ; maybe not sexy like a gold coin but in a sense a much more exciting find. And no I still feel my button should have been highlighted and despite those neysayers, not to massage my ego, but to educate and enlighten people on significant and very neat finds. I think "vpone" and "against the wind" made excellent points in their respective posts. Change isn't always bad .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Interesting thread.

Bottom line is that gold coins have become the sort of "hole in one" for md'rs. WHETHER OR NOT they carry higher numismatic value. And yes, a certain Rev. war button may be 100x harder to find. And 100x more valuable. I've found seated coins, trade tokens, and buttons (some buttons I found sold for $200-ish) that are worth more than the gold coins I've found.

But unless you have a good button expert and history expert, the gravity/importance of the find, is harder to generate "aha's" for. Is it fair? OF COURSE NOT. But it's an unfortunate reality. :BangHead: Other examples are the fabled '09s VDB, or '16 D, etc... There are buttons or trade tokens that could be one of a kind. But it would be next to impossible to assemble a truly non-biased panel of judges that wouldn't each be swayed by their personal biases. Therefore, unfortunately, there will forever be flaws in any system that attempts to judge.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial era buttons (and buckles) get no respect here! Hard for people who don't metal detect on the East Coast to appreciate the rarity and value of those items. But everyone can appreciate how tough it is to find a gold coin. Just my take on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread