Members who want "tips" about certain areas- how do the veterans handle this?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get asked all the time about beaches here in SW FL, and it really depends on your experience when asked, sounds childish, but it's true.
My passion is away from the beach, old home dirt....so I don't care who finds what on my beaches, good for them.
If a newbie asks, and they haven't paid any Tnet dues, I will name a few beaches and wish them luck....
But if a member has time, credibility, and experience...a "regular" here on Tnet, they will get a freakin tide report, parking rates and Groupons for the finest Dining on the beach if I can....
Haha...maybe not all that, but you get it, more detailed info, based on their questions....
I am more guarded on my old dirt.
I've told members to stay off my turf, but I've also invited others who have asked me....
For me it comes down to rapport and experience. If I feel that I can drink some beers and get along, be friends without getting crapped on, then let's go.
If you are old enough to be my grandfather, or young enough to be my son....not really interested.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met a lot of hunters over the years. Some have become people that I enjoy getting together with. Others,, I wouldn't bother asking for their phone number. Mainly because of their personality.
One guy I greeted in a friendly manner as he approached me in a park, had the balls to ask me to show him my permit. After I asked him who the hell he thought he was, he went and got a park supervisor. What a jerk!
For the most part, I have met a lot of decent folks. I can tell if they have a love for this hobby like me. If they talk to me in a respectable manner, I will help them. I will meet them at a predetermined spot to share a day of hunting. I still have a right to protect my honey holes and keep them secret. I won't be pressured into giving up too much information.
I know of people who don't know how to dig a hole, and they leave behind damaged turf. Then there are those who want you to share your spots so that they can go pound the hell out of them, while you're working. It takes all kinds.
If you wouldn't consider having dinner with these individuals, then don't pretend that they're your buddies.
If an individual is simply asking about the legality of the hunting in THEIR area or if they have had a problem with the so called authorities, then I will try to help.
For many years during our northern winters. I spent time in the NYC Public Library doing research. Today with the internet, a lot of information can be accessed much more quickly and from your home. If you aren't willing to do that, then you need to wait for my book to be published.
HH

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get asked all the time about beaches here in SW FL, and it really depends on your experience when asked, sounds childish, but it's true.
My passion is away from the beach, old home dirt....so I don't care who finds what on my beaches, good for them.
If a newbie asks, and they haven't paid any Tnet dues, I will name a few beaches and wish them luck....
But if a member has time, credibility, and experience...a "regular" here on Tnet, they will get a freakin tide report, parking rates and Groupons for the finest Dining on the beach if I can....
Haha...maybe not all that, but you get it, more detailed info, based on their questions....
I am more guarded on my old dirt.
I've told members to stay off my turf, but I've also invited others who have asked me....
For me it comes down to rapport and experience. If I feel that I can drink some beers and get along, be friends without getting crapped on, then let's go.
If you are old enough to be my grandfather, or young enough to be my son....not really interested.

Dang Dave I'm 57, guess we won't be swinging the coil together in the future. :tongue3:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You fall within the spectrum of approved hunting buddies....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh, people have been telling me where to go for a long time. :thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious, was it go to #ell or Go #%#& yourself ? It's all in the NY attitude ! :laughing7

As I say to the waitress when she asks "Fries or Onion Rings?", a little of both Rusty, a little of both. :laughing7:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one area of this or any other board I don't frequent is "Today's Finds". I really don't care what you found. It has no relative significance to me. I'm to busy with my own 'finds' to be concerned with yours nor do I have an urge to flash photo's of 'find's all over the planet. I come from a generations of 'mind your own business' and 'loose lips sink ships'. So, jf you find torpedo's coming at you from all directions, quit moving your lips. You'll find smoother sailing ahead.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I say to the waitress when she asks "Fries or Onion Rings?", a little of both Rusty, a little of both. :laughing7:

I guess that is what makes us the warm and cuddly types that we are. I have to go hug a tree and find an endangered owl to kiss now.

Last edited:

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one area of this or any other board I don't frequent is "Today's Finds". I really don't care what you found. It has no relative significance to me. I'm to busy with my own 'finds' to be concerned with yours nor do I have an urge to flash photo's of 'find's all over the planet. I come from a generations of 'mind your own business' and 'loose lips sink ships'. So, jf you find torpedo's coming at you from all directions, quit moving your lips. You'll find smoother sailing ahead.

+++ 1 On loose lips.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
+++ 1 On loose lips.

+++3

It is nice to share but beware.

OBN0003.jpg

I put several years of research into the places I hunt (Notice I did not say my spots) and now that I have retired I'm enjoying, Alone. I get request all the time from hunters (In State and Out of State) asking can they go with me. I have found if you share a location it will get hammered, No one gets it all but it sure can be depressing when you go to your favorite spot and it has hundreds of holes.

If you put any information on the internet or Sharing with Anyone it will in time affect,

To every action, there is a reaction.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread