Buried coins in a crawl space...

tnusername

Nov 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a small 10x15ft crawlspace with about 2-3ft of head room. We were able to recover one pvc pipe with some gold coins, and think there could be more (the entire ground is pretty soft).

We invested in a couple different metal detectors (Bounty hunter TIMERANGER), but we haven't had much luck (perhaps we're just using them wrong). It seems like we end up wasting a lot of time on bottle caps, and the metal air ducts hanging above your head don't help.

I don't think we will ever be satisfied until we either recover the cache that we expect is there, or we can SEE down with some kind of GPR. We are considering hiring/renting some GPR service to come out and sweep the area, but not sure if they make devices that would fit in such a small space.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i would try a shovel and a screen.
good luck brad

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a smaller detector like a Vibra-Tector 730. Not sure how far down it will go tho. I've used it in tight places and retrieved from 8". Heck if you have 3 feet clearance, shovel and screen.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a particular reason that makes you think there may be more? If not, there's that distinct chance that you found everything there is to find already.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you recover the gold coins with that bounty hunter? If not, how did you know to look for the gold coins?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if I found "some gold coins" I would be pretty happy

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just borrow an Xp Deus. Remove the lower shaft with the coil mounted from the upper part of the assembly. and the wireless headphones, or just have the wireless control unit in your top pocket and listen to it's speaker as you swing/sweep the lower shaft and coil. There is a guy in SC I met last year that hunts under old houses with this set up. Are any utilities lines/pipes under the crawl space?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy, if I found a pvc pipe filled with gold coins, I'd have rented a backhoe from Home Depot that day.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were they gold sovereigns ? I herd a story of gold sovereigns being found on a property here in the keys. They were put inside pvc pipes to hide them. Left on the property by drug dealers from the 80s. It was a great story, the sovereigns fit the inside diameter of the pipe almost perfectly. The pipes when lifted sagged to the ground in the middle , so they said ??

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Just some tips ok. PICTURES are the name of the game here ok. If you make a find ALWAYS take several pictures from all different angles. If we had a picture of the crawl space We could even give you much better advice on what detectors to use there. Without the pictures We here are only batting in the breeze making only sparse guesses as to what would help you get the job done and possibly save you a lot of money in the meantime ok. We await. PEACE:RONB

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Don't call a service to look for you. Rent equipment you can use yourself and keep your mouth shut.

$stinger

Nov 4, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to look in my crawl space……I'll be back!!

OP
OP
T

tnusername

Nov 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry will post some pictures soon - it's just a standard crawlspace, 10x15, about 2-3ft from the ground to ceiling, some duct work hanging above (the furnace is down there).

The pipe we recovered was just a standard foot long pvc pipe. The coins themselves are coins a family member (who has since passed away) had been hoarding over the years (krugerrand). So that's how we knew they were down there somewhere, we just don't know exactly how many there are.

Since the pipe was a little over a foot down, I would like sweep the area with something that actually shows what's burried. There are no utilities/pipes under the dirt, and it's very soft, so I am sure it would be obvious if another pipe is burried.

Last couple times we went down there it just felt like the timeranger was giving us too many false positives to be very helpful.

*I guess my primary question is, I have seen some handheld devices/mine sweepers that look like they display a radar/sonar type picture of what is buried a few feet down. I feel like I could spend hours down there with a metal detector and not feel confident we found everything, so that's why I would love to do something a little more sophisticated. Can anyone recommend anything?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is as soft as you stated, you can probe with with a a long steel rod.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its called a shovel buddy, have at it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a chance other gold coins are some where else in the house (didn't put all their eggs in one basket). Check under the kitchen sink, stairway floor boards, heat registers in the bedrooms, etc. You never know...

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; What your asking us about is called a 2 Box. They are sold by most Major Detector Companies. Some you drag like a sled and it feeds a signal to a forward Screen that shows if anything is buried there. Another you stand in the Center of with straps that rest on your shoulders. It gives you a signal as you pass over metal. Look up the Major Dealers and look at the Products they offer ok.
These are usually bulky or require more than one person to use ok. Good Luck. I'm sre the guys here can recommend a good one to use. PEACE:RONB

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; What your asking us about is called a 2 Box. They are sold by most Major Detector Companies. Some you drag like a sled and it feeds a signal to a forward Screen that shows if anything is buried there. Another you stand in the Center of with straps that rest on your shoulders. It gives you a signal as you pass over metal. Look up the Major Dealers and look at the Products they offer ok.
These are usually bulky or require more than one person to use ok. Good Luck. I'm sre the guys here can recommend a good one to use. PEACE:RONB

Kid of hard running a 2 box in a crawl space, don't ya think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread