There must be a way to block new members from posting links.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good call....
Cuz it's only a matter of time before I go to Bulgaria to smack a guy upside the head.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good call....
Cuz it's only a matter of time before I go to Bulgaria to smack a guy upside the head.

I'll take ya on my private jet when it's out of the required maintenance requirements (I'm late). But have you now moved "right"? If so get back and we'll make some plans.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been an issue as well in another (non detecting) board I frequent. My suggestion was to require the first post of a new member be read by a mod before it can post. That way the spammers get deleted before they hit the the boards.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Left....
Right....
I don't know....call me down the middle.
I am happy just being known as a detectorist who wants to start a fight with spammers...
Brad, I'm your man.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These is no way we could delete all of them with out everyones help in reporting them. You guys/gals know who you are. Admn did a lot of changes in the hopes to slow them down. But take heart as it actually takes a long time for these guys to register sign in and and copy paste the post and we delete them and their I.P with one click of a button.
It is happening on a lot of sites but here we are lucky we have a solid community that hates their guts stands together and does help us fight !
Happy Hunting!
TnMtns

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be your hero-

Spam eating crusader.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Require new members to wait a week (or even a month) before they can post links here. That would stop these fools dead in their tracks.

I'm with you in that I hate spammers, also. That said, I very much disagree with your idea. Even Jeff has mentioned how sometimes someone will register and lay low for as much as a year, then all hell breaks loose. ...Don't think that 1-week probation would help matters then. And then how would it look to suddenly have 1-year-long members that suddenly seem to turn on the forum? Those who know what's going on (or care) would understand. Many wouldn't.

On GPEX, there's a rule that you don't become a full member until after your 2nd post (it's an automatic thing though). Still doesn't stop the spammers, but then it's not nearly as active as here. But everyone hates spammers there with a passion!

In any case, if someone signs up to be a member, they should have the chance to prove themselves. Sometimes that simply means lurking in the shadows reading, but not being involved. That's fine. Others (like me) end up getting involved, even at times when he (I) should keep his (my) mouth shut! :laughing7:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Require new members to wait a week (or even a month) before they can post links here. That would stop these fools dead in their tracks.

On another detecting site I am on the owner has it set up that a new member has to have "X" number of posts before a link can be posted in a thread. Sometimes legit links/pix get caught in the trap and are manually allowed after getting checked out. The Admins are also doing manual registration to check IPs.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
On another detecting site I am on the owner has it set up that a new member has to have "X" number of posts before a link can be posted in a thread. Sometimes legit links/pix get caught in the trap and are manually allowed after getting checked out. The Admins are also doing manual registration to check IPs.

Now THAT'S a great idea!! :thumbsup:EDIT - After thinking, look at how many newbies sign up and make just one or two posts, just so they can get help with a single item. This idea, while normally very awesome, would stop those newbies in their tracks, probably hurt on new "good" members, and would tax the Mods quite much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one really needs to post links here. You can post photos and videos of your finds without the use of links. Taking away that feature from newbies won't cause any hardship, unless you're a spammer.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
occasionally the server catches a newbie adding a link
and sends it to limbo till we get to decide if it's a link to a pic in a photo sharing site
like photo bucket or spam. but some how these spammers only get caught up on rare occasions

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Like me, I'm sure there are a few other future new members who don't know the ins-n-outs of posting on forums. Took me quite a while to figure out how to post a pic. I've seen a few newbies that had a pic posted on a different site (like imgur, for example....whatever THAT is!) who would post that link and ask a question. Stopping all links from first-timers would make it quite difficult for many folks to come here and ask their question. That's the point I was trying to make.

Btw, why was it I was not familiar with internet? Because we had been 100% without internet for over 15 years! ...Sure has changed a lot!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions