OT....weather radio

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Heck, if you have a "smart phone" you can just download a free weather application and select one option for "current location." I use Weather Underground but their are others with different features like NOAA Radar & WX Radio, etc.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
For the past nearly 20 years, we've used a handheld scanner. They're now nearly as small as a walkie talkie and will auto-tune to the strongest NOAA broadcast wherever you are. The newest ones also have a feature where you can program in one or more specific counties and, if there are weather alerts that go out (where they use the alert-tone), if your device is on, it will sound the alert even if not on weather channel. Lots of the newer walkie talkies have weather bands as well as the weather alert, but I find that our handheld scanner picks up signals FAR better than any of the talkie sets I've ever tested. Our scanner is Realistic brand (Radio Shack), but the Uniden Bearcat scanners are, in my opinion, the best. There are also dedicated handheld weather radios. These are NOT as good at pulling in a weak signal as one of these.

Here's a link to a newer Uniden scanner. It has gotten rave reviews. If you're looking mostly for weather, I'd look here. There's another model that has much more features, but probably not features you'd use out in the bush, plus the higher cost.
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Handh...19612&sr=8-1&keywords=handheld+police+scanner

When we are mobile with our scanner, we always remove the antennae from the unit and store separately to prevent breakage (it's flexible, but...). If on a hiking trail, might not be a bad idea to get some 1/2" PVC pipe and make a cheap, solid case for the antennae. Just glue a cap on one end and keep the other end where it can twist off.

Our older model uses (4) AA batteries. Even on the older scanner, a charged set of rechargeable batteries would last us 2-3 days of always-on use. There were times when we had the scanner on all the time due to wildfires in the area. This is another reason I would go with a scanner over simply a weather radio or walkie talkie - fires or other emergency conditions (tornado, etc) can pop up with little warning.

Lastly, I don't know how waterproof or resistant these radios are. I only know that we spent a couple hundred on ours back in the day, so we don't let water get to it.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many thanks, guys. After posting I went out looking, and realized things have changed alot since the last time I shopped for one. The S.A.M.E technology is what I want. I could program in the county where I'm working, and get the weather alerts and forecasts.....exactly what I wanted.
Jim
EDIT QUESTION....do the radios that are SAME capable give you regular weather forecasts as well as alerts? A lot of places I go, it isn't horrible weather that's the problem....it's simply rain. I hate trying to find a weather forecast on AM/FM radio, so want a radio that gets forecasts, as well as alerts. I don't really care about police scanning, etc....simply weather.
Thanks again.
Jim

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
EDIT QUESTION....do the radios that are SAME capable give you regular weather forecasts as well as alerts?

Some do, but some don't. You'll just have to look on an individual basis. First time I saw one that didn't, my last working brain cell sorta twisted around itself trying to make sense of it! :tongue3:

...If that's your ONLY desire is to know when it's gonna rain, might I also recommend the idea of these two things?:
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-7507...1479842434&sr=8-1&keywords=weather+forecaster

https://www.amazon.com/mobilo-Marin...d=1479842585&sr=8-14&keywords=rain+forecaster

The first is simply a digital display (indoors or protected from elements) with outdoor weather sensor, while the 2nd link is an app you can download for a smart phone. Just found this app, but looks rather interesting. Makes me wonder what other similar apps are out there.

And while the idea of taking along a digital display may seem a bit awkward, just remember that if you start seeing the weather changing, you can quick check the display to see if it's forecasting rain.

Personally, I'd have to stick with a scanner. Even a used scanner with weather bands would work, but our scanner doesn't have SAME - only an alert for whatever weather channel you happen to be on when you set it to alert.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know of one that "automatically" does but there are only 7 weather bands (VHF frequencies) that are used. A marine VHF with NOAA channels will get them all if in range.

A scanner would lock on one because they broadcast continually.

I have a little Eton radio that does AM/FM & Weather and is battery or hand-crank. It was around $40. If you have a LOT of time to crank it will also charge a cell phone.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Before Popular Electronics when under they had a device to make that would pick up lighting
from a long way. I wanted to build it for my employee as he spent a lot of time on roofs.
I know this is no help for you Jim but I'm just meandering.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had 2 Midland Wx radios that would not decode right out of the bx. Walmart specials. Actually had a tornado in FL and the $%%& unit didn't go off! I have used 4 or so different radios and now use the Sangean CL-100. They have good sensitivity, decent selectivity and easy to program. AND... the SAME decoder is reliable.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Popular Electronics when under they had a device to make that would pick up lighting
from a long way. I wanted to build it for my employee as he spent a lot of time on roofs.
I know this is no help for you Jim but I'm just meandering.

I have one. It is a "Strike Alert". Actually built in a pager case and picks up to 40 miles or so. You can tell if the lightning is getting closer or moving away. Only problem I have is that it is not very loud for outdoors.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I should clarify what I'm looking for. I really don't care about alerts so much. What I want is a radio that gets local weather forecasts, without me having to dial around the bandwidth, or spend hours listening so I can get the weather cast. I just want to turn it on, and within a reasonable time, get the weather forecast for the area where I'm camping. I don't generally listen to the radio when I'm camping....I prefer things quiet. I just want to know if the weather is going to go downhill in the next couple of days. Mudflaps idea of a marine radio may be the ticket. I also don't care about carrying the radio with me when out and about....it will be in the pickup, or camper. Long battery life would be great.
I really appreciate the info so far.
Jim

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I should clarify what I'm looking for. I really don't care about alerts so much. What I want is a radio that gets local weather forecasts, without me having to dial around the bandwidth, or spend hours listening so I can get the weather cast. I just want to turn it on, and within a reasonable time, get the weather forecast for the area where I'm camping. I don't generally listen to the radio when I'm camping....I prefer things quiet. I just want to know if the weather is going to go downhill in the next couple of days. Mudflaps idea of a marine radio may be the ticket. I also don't care about carrying the radio with me when out and about....it will be in the pickup, or camper. Long battery life would be great.
I really appreciate the info so far.
Jim

Then as long as you can get a signal, a NOAA weather radio should work for you. There are also numerous apps that can be loaded on your smart phone to predict weather or provide any number of weather readings. Not sure if they have to connect with a cell tower in order to function properly though. And as for this SAME technology, that would be useless for you - so don't waste the money getting what you won't use. In order for SAME to function, you have to manually program in your county.

If you like things quiet, I still think you should consider a digital weather station with sensor. It's small, lightweight, you can set up the digital display in your tent/cabin and let the sensor stay outside. Some units have icons to indicate what the weather is, and some units even forecast up to several days ahead. Will work regardless of any towers or signals, is always on (once set up), and updates in real time. Plus you get the advantage of knowing the temperature as your sipping your morning coffee.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then as long as you can get a signal, a NOAA weather radio should work for you. There are also numerous apps that can be loaded on your smart phone to predict weather or provide any number of weather readings. Not sure if they have to connect with a cell tower in order to function properly though. And as for this SAME technology, that would be useless for you - so don't waste the money getting what you won't use. In order for SAME to function, you have to manually program in your county.

If you like things quiet, I still think you should consider a digital weather station with sensor. It's small, lightweight, you can set up the digital display in your tent/cabin and let the sensor stay outside. Some units have icons to indicate what the weather is, and some units even forecast up to several days ahead. Will work regardless of any towers or signals, is always on (once set up), and updates in real time. Plus you get the advantage of knowing the temperature as your sipping your morning coffee.
So, how often does the NOAA transmission give the forecast? Are you saying it will automatically give the forecast for the area I'm in? Or does it simply go with the strongest signal? I don't have a problem with programming the county, etc. The big deal for me anymore is not getting stuck in the mud. Last time I was in Wyoming Heidi woke me up at 2:00AM, and we were loaded and driving out, with coffee, at 2:23. If I hadn't got moving, I'd have been there for a week, and probably run out of food. I want the forecast to prevent that situation. I'm not worried about tornados, floods, earthquakes, etc.....LOL Also, I don't care about the temp, etc. If it's cold, I put on a coat, it it's windy, I know it. I just want a radio that gives a forecast for the local area, and frequently. Also, I don't have a smart phone, and don't plan on getting one. I'll look into the weather station idea.....many thanks!
Jim

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever been in a highway rest area, truck stop or gas station and heard the NOAA weather report broadcasting repeatedly? THAT'S IT!! In most areas it's a simulated (computer) voice that repeats the current conditions and weather forecast over and over, 24/7. When applicable, they will include hazardous weather info. If severe enough, you will here a tone, just like the alert tone on TV for the emergency broadcast system.

It takes usually about 5 minutes to get through the current conditions in the area and another couple of minutes for the forecast. Usually! But it really is that simple. If you want to know the forecast, you turn on a NOAA radio, tune in to one of 7 frequencies (2 others are in Canada for those close to the border), and you get the government's version of what the weather is supposed to do.

ADDED: You've heard of these phone numbers you can call for the weather? Same thing here, only over radio.

Again, I have not tested these newer weather radios such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-810-8...&qid=1479918733&sr=8-7&keywords=weather+radio

I "have" tested various GMRS walkie talkie's that have the NOAA weather bands, but from my experience, they do not pull in a signal as well as a handheld scanner. The scanner I listed in my first post is rather inexpensive, for a scanner, but will give you the weather, plus potentially a whole lot more. The weakness there is its antennae. It's flexible, but not unbreakable. You could try one of the smaller weather-only radios (like above) and see how well it picks up a signal in your area.

Where we live is flat land, but also lots (and lots and lots and LOTS!!) of water! So there are occasionally flooding and flash flooding reports that come over the scanner on the weather bands. I would imagine if there is a chance for flash flooding in mountainous regions, the same would hold true. For nighttime, this is where the SAME technology would shine, as you could leave the radio on in alert mode (on, but silent) and it would alert you ONLY if there is severe weather coming to your specific county.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope...never had heard that. Looks like that's what I need. Nice to see they're fairly cheap...LOL Thanks for the help KCM, and all the other responders. I could easily get by with a small, battery-powered desktop unit.
Jim

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Find a HAM CLUB in your area. They ARE experts in monitoring the weather. Their little VHF Handheld will pick up the weather station broadcast in the 160 MZ range . If you need more info give me a shout

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope...never had heard that. Looks like that's what I need. Nice to see they're fairly cheap...LOL Thanks for the help KCM, and all the other responders. I could easily get by with a small, battery-powered desktop unit.
Jim

That's usually the case for us also. BUT..., I can't tell you how many times our handheld has come in handy! Like, imagine taking a road trip and wondering what the forecast is around you? You don't know which radio station to tune into and don't have ready access to TV or internet, but there's the trusty handheld, always at the ready and giving you weather reports anytime you need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread