SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an idea on how to stop these idiot spammers. All new laptop PCs will have a remotely activated internal spring mechanism that is loaded once the PC's screen is opened. Once a spammer's thread is identified and removed, a signal is sent to their PC to close the screen using the spring force equivalent to the closing force of a bear trap. If you see a bozo on the street with all their fingers and thumbs in a cast, you've spotted a spammer!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People can be a real nuisance. These "Do not call" or "Auto reject" do nothing to stop them from trying to sell you something you haven't asked for or do not want. Maybe I'm being overly suspicious but it wouldn't surprise me if some of these spammers are part of the Internet services that sell anti-spam programs.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually, there is a way to stop the bots ... but I've been told that the moderators are smarter than the bots and can spot them a mile away --- so we never have to worry about any of them getting through.

So, not sure what you guys are talking about spammers for.

On the other hand, take a look at this:

NuCaptcha II Most secure and usable Captcha

No more bots ... period.

How do I know? I build web sites and using a simple version I created in Flash, I have not had 1 spammer message get through since 2013 on ANY of my developed sites.

... and my version isn't nearly as good as theirs.

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting very tired of spammers on my personal e-mail also...

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Perhaps it is the Skimresources spyware cookies that attract the spambots as it can be manipulated by other malicious programs ... just sayin.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, there is a way to stop the bots ... but I've been told that the moderators are smarter than the bots and can spot them a mile away --- so we never have to worry about any of them getting through.

So, not sure what you guys are talking about spammers for.

On the other hand, take a look at this:

NuCaptcha II Most secure and usable Captcha

No more bots ... period.

How do I know? I build web sites and using a simple version I created in Flash, I have not had 1 spammer message get through since 2013 on ANY of my developed sites.

... and my version isn't nearly as good as theirs.

Chad, no mod or admin has ever told you that. It is entirely up to the admins and owners of website to decide what or how they address this issue .....Spam is addressed fairly quickly by the mods, if it isn't handled quick enough to suit some, that is also easy to address, just move on to another thread till a mod address it.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Not encouraging them here, but I kinda enjoy seeing them so that I can report them. Makes me feel like I did a little bit of good in this world.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Educate me Chadeaux. What is Skimresources and how is it tied to Treasurenet??

Skimresources, without outside manipulation, is a "redirect". What's that?

A "redirect" sits between your browser and the internet. You type in "kubota.com" when you want to go look at a tractor, but the browser sends out your request as the following:

Code:
http://www.skimresources.com/?"kubota.com"

There will actually be more information included, but suffice it to say ... it will affect your browsing with slower navigation (every link in the chain is another speedbump in the information super highway) and is also known to give you plenty of popups if left unchecked.

If for some reason it doesn't install correctly when placed on your computer, you get the weird "double browser" effect ... click on Internet Explorer and you get two instances every time. But that's ok, because you'll get twice the popups.

I caught it on my machine on a particularly bad day for our internet. My cable modem malfunctioned and the web browser address bar contained a link to skimresources.com --- that's when I went digging for where the infection came from.

Only Tnet and Canal Street Chronicles (New Orleans Saints fan site that uses wordpress for blogging) were infected.

Want to know more? Skimresources.com tells you what it is and directs you to "skimlinks.com".

Features - Content Monetization Platform | Skimlinks - The only part they leave out is that it is a persistent object installed to the end user's computer ... not to the server.

That, my friend, makes it spyware.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be remembering something incorrectly ... but I do remember why I was banned a couple years ago --- I quoted a mod's PM verbatim.

Won't do that again.

Be well folks.

That would have been because of our rule against posting private messages in the forum, posting a mod's pm will earn member a timeout.....

"You may not... Post PM's (TreasureNet personal messages), email messages, or any other form of correspondence from other people that were intended or assumed to be solely for you.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That would have been because of our rule against posting private messages in the forum, posting a mod's pm will earn member a timeout.....

"You may not... Post PM's (TreasureNet personal messages), email messages, or any other form of correspondence from other people that were intended or assumed to be solely for you.

:icon_thumleft:

Definitely a bad choice on my part.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If spam in your email is a problem, I would strongly encourage you to try a gmail account and familiarize yourself with the filter options.

I've had my gmail account since it started. On a bad month, I get one to three spam messages in my inbox. Usually I get none.

My biggest peeve was all the chinese spam I used to get on Yahoo and through my ISP. So, I set a filter that sent any email with chinese characters in the subject straight to the trash and I have never gotten another one since.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread