Can anyone help me with this 1863 Indian Head penny.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't seem to find one that looks like this one. It's thicker than the average Indian head
68d026b700a28c6ce0741b5f7290d5bd.png
409ca751587d572434cf968451c0b53b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a great website to research your token. I found a civil war token a few months ago and found this site very useful in learning about the token and its rarity.

Civil War Token collecting by Type ?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a guy in my local coin club who collects them....
Poor guy gets all jacked up and WAY over pays for them....usually $30-40 coins, he buys for $100.... just about every time. The sellers love him...but he's all smiles, can't knock him for that I guess.

Great piece you got there.....

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a guy in my local coin club who collects them....
Poor guy gets all jacked up and WAY over pays for them....usually $30-40 coins, he buys for $100.... just about every time. The sellers love him...but he's all smiles, can't knock him for that I guess.

Great piece you got there.....

Can you give me his number!!! Lol jj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trade token, hard to believe but it was perfectly legal and very common for businesses to do this back in the day.

I found one from 1864 year before last, made my week.
I too thought it was an IHP at first and was very happy with that, after cleaning it off I found out what it really was and doubled my pleasure.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder how many got passed as real U.S. currency back in those days. Pretty cool token. :icon_thumright:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
DT--

Actually almost all of the series known as Civil War Tokens did. The prime reason they exist is that in the period just before and during the Civil War, coins were hoarded and very few were left in circulation. Commerce suffered because there wasn't a way to make change for purchases. So the solution was for many merchants to have private tokens made, and they were used in place of the cent coins. Two major categories of Civil War Tokens exist. Store Cards like the one pictured in this thread have the name of the merchant at whose shop the token could be redeemed at the end of the emergency, and Patriotic tokens which were not specific to a particular merchant. All of them were somewhat like our current money - little or no intrinsic value like silver or gold, but accepted as one cent in most businesses. Of course, they could not be used to buy postage stamps from the government, but most other places took them and passed them on in turn.
John in the Great 208
I wonder how many got passed as real U.S. currency back in those days. Pretty cool token. :icon_thumright:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
it - The US Government tried different things to solve the coin shortage. They encased postage stamps in mica - that didn't go over well. They issued fractional currency - bills denominated as coins. I have a 10 cent bill that was apparently sent home with the news that a (collateral) ancestor was killed during the Civil War at Corinth. It's in horrible condition. You can well imagine how long paper "coins" lasted.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a sweet token!

Congrats on that find my man. Better than an IHC.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting background information here Idahotokens.

Seems I remember that some stores in rural America in the 1950's accepted postage stamps in trade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread