Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some finds from beaufort north carolina. Traveling up and down the east coast while moving the yachts we often stop in this quaint little town. The town has incredible history and has been around since the 1690s at least. Everyone was very nice to me when they saw me MDing and I was even invited to search severl yards by friendly residents. They invited me I did not have to ask. This little group of finds came from a small ally way next to an antique store directly across the street from the city docks. Again a friend of the owner drug me to the spot and said I should search it. photo-305.JPG
photo-304.JPG
photo-303.JPG
The flag is from a toy solider set, I forget how old it is but it only has 13 stars on it and its made of lead. I guess the best find was the slave cuff, its made of brass. The button that says DS is from the davis school NC, one of the other buttons says unity, some of the writing before that I cant read. It has an eagle with a semi circle of stars under it. It also has a wreath or weat around the border. The little button says extra A lewis & tombs I think, not sure about the word extra but theres somthing before A lewis & tombs. Cant read the other button. Not sure about the other objects besides the bullet. A small copper plate with a hole in it, and two lead objects. The round lead object I thought might be a sail clew or grommet. The other who knows, part of a sounding lead or something not sure. I was pretty new to it all back then and cleaned the buttons and copper plate in sno bowl toilet bowl cleaner !!! Yikes !!! Only now years later do I know how special the slave cuff is.

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know there was a Beaufort, NC.

I spent spent some time up in Beaufort, SC back in 2012. The people there weren't very friendly [emoji23]

Cool finds!!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know there was a Beaufort, NC.

I spent spent some time up in Beaufort, SC back in 2012. The people there weren't very friendly [emoji23]

Cool finds!!!

Yup the guys in SC pronounce there town buefert, and the guys in NC pronounce there town bowfert. Nobody in either town like it much when the pronunciations get mixed up. I didnt know how lucky I was but the slave cuff is one of my favorite finds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the unity button is likely a civil war era item ---the "extra" button likely says "extra gilt" (gilt is like a thin shiny gold colored layering put over copper buttons ) flat buttons from the early 1800 -1830 time frame often have these quality "puffing" terms on it --double , treble , extra --gilt ----the 3 ringer screams civil war era -- the flag is way cool --and the slave bracelet is straight up history

blackbeard's crewmen lived in the area in NC -- and folks that live there today are largely the decendents of those pirate crews -- "outside" folks with detectors looking for buried pirate booty in their area --(the family wealth buried by their fore fathers) would of course be very unpopular as most likely they themselves are looking for it ..

likely the reason they "invited' you to check out "their" land was they either do not have a detector --or do not know how to use one properly --but they would like for you to check their land out "for free" --(for possible buried pirate loot) --if it was found you would most likely be promptly asked to "get off their property" without anything ...

non gold or silver finds -- relics and such are most likely of little interest to them

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the button info ivan. I know absolutely nothing about buttons except that they appear to be scattered all over Beaufort N.C. Seems like everywhere I went there I found buttons. I was very naive back when I made those finds and was definitely a newbie. Ive been back about 5 or six times since then, but always have been working with no time to swing the coil. The one time I did get to metal detect I chose to hit the beaches , and had no where near the same success. Hopefully ill get back soon and hit the relic areas again.the yacht I work on stayed a month up there in the boat yard but I stayed south on the sport fish this year. Anyway thanks as always for your knowledge. Beaufort is a great town as fmrUSMC 0844 says. Looking forward to getting back there soon. !!!

Gravitytester

Feb 29, 2016
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine lab Excalibur I, Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about a hour from there, one of my favorite places to go. A friend of mine owns a restaurant on the water at the docks. It is called "Queen Ann's Revenge", go figure. LOL Next time you are up there, check them out.

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff Bart keep swingin bro....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread