Whats your worst find can you beat a Cat tag with the Cat skeleton still attached

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I was hunting behind an old abandoned house when I got a large signal. Once I first started digging it up, it looked like a large coffee can. Visions of a nice coin horde or perhaps some kids treasure chest flashed through my mind.

Imagine my profound disappointment when I pulled it out of the ground and saw it capped a pipe leading downwards. It turned out I found the cap to the septic tank.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
1950's car bumper.....

Attachments

• Bumper.JPG
    Bumper.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 92

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a spot with multiple targets and started digging up what looked like tiny toothpaste tubes.

Old condom lube containers.

Must have been someone's favorite "necking" spot years ago.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't dig it up but found it right next to the plug i was digging, a little silver egg with a cord going to a battery case and power button. I knew what it was, filled in my hole and moved along...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was asked to check the level in a buried fuel oil tank. I couldn't get the measuring stick to go down the pipe. Something blocking it. I got a hook device, fished around a bit and brought up the foreleg of a deer. No idea how, when, or why.

Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was literally out in the middle of now where, hiking in the mountains here, and found a few small piles of rocks in an area of about 20' by 15' or so, so I go back to my truck and get the detector, and the first pile I get a slamming signal, I'm thinking, "HERE WE GO!!!" I dig down about a foot, and it is definitely a metal box! I clear enough dirt to see "Fluffy, our beloved friend, May 1989" engraved in the lid, WHOOPS! LOL! Who buries their pets out in the middle of the mountains? lol! I very carefully put it back!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have dug up a cat.
Right in the middle of the back yard of a 1910's house.....
Wrapped in tin foil...boy, that was an ugly plug too.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Thanks Dave I'm glad I'm not alone this one was in a blanket . We keep digging we will all end up finding just about everything possible that's why I love this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I've got a corner of an old school lot that reliably produces vintage car parts. We stopped digging there after the first few. There might be something valuable in there, but I'm not going to do the work to see. I'm still curious as to why all that crap is there. It's just the one corner, a fairly small area.

Back when I was first getting started, I was sweeping an old homestead out in the middle of nowhere. I knew where the house had been (the chimney was still standing) and I thought about caches. There was a very large tree nearby, right in the middle of what would have been the yard. I checked there and got a signal that damned near blew the headphones off my head. After some frantic digging, I hit flat metal about a foot down. Now grinning like a madman, I attacked the soil, trying to get to the edges of this metal object so that I could remove it. After more work than I'd like to admit, I got it free. And it was...

...the door to a frigging wood stove.

What was under it? You'd better believe that I checked. I pried that sucker out, hauled it off to the side, and found what may have been a firepit, lined with rocks from the creek. If there was something under there that was metallic, it was too deep for my Tesoro to find it. I keep meaning to get back there with the mine detector but I haven't yet, and the site has become so overgrown that I'm not entirely sure where that pit was anymore. One of these days.

I had a similar experience at the same site a few years back, but nearer to the road. That time, I tempered my enthusiasm with experience, and I was not so disappointed when I unearthed an old truck hood.

Way back when I first got started and was just learning my first machine, I did the back 40 of the place that I was renting in Silverdale. I have no idea about the history of the place, but I found a large patch of soil that was heavily contaminated with nails and burnt wood. It had an unpleasant chemical smell and the blackberries back there were inedible. I dug a few holes and got pretty sick for a few days. I went back and got sick again. Between the lack of good finds and the other stuff, I gave it up. I still don't know what happened back there (meth lab burned down?) but it wasn't worth my health to keep looking.

No bodies (pets or otherwise) yet, but I suppose that it's only a matter of time with my luck.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was about 15 years old, I dug up this container with "3 Merry Widows" written on it. I asked my dad what it was and he didn't know, so he told me to go ask my grandmother.
Went over to gramma's and showed her this tin and she quickly identified it as a condom container. She continued to explain but I was out the door so fast!
I remember the disturbed thought I had....How did she know it for condoms? :tard:
Almost 30 years later and 30 more tins added to my total, I still remember the first container and I'm a little more accepting of the fact that grandmother's had sex too! :laughing7:

One thing that still gets me occasionally is when I'm down along the river bank, eyeballing during low water levels.
I'll see this interesting shape, half buried in the muck and kick it loose or pry it up with my hand only to discover quickly that it's ANOTHER :censored: tampon applicator!
Walk a bit further and there's another common object laying there, all stretched out with river slime caked all over......
Another used condom! :censored:
Finds like that along the river bank only mean one thing.....They still dump raw sewage into the river! :BangHead:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find a lot of those pink applicators up here in the sand near lake Ontario. We call them beach whistles, but I'll be damned if I can get a sound out of them. Maybe i'm not blowing hard enough?

Last edited:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting the back yard of an abandoned old house and got a good hit at about 6 inches. Digging down I make out the shape of a metal box that's about 12" X 8" X 6".
Pulling it out of the ground gave me visions of the "big find", hoards of old silver coins and jewelry was going through my head. Once out of the ground I pried open the lid
with my digging tool and found the skeleton of some kind of rodent, it was ether a pet hamster or a rat! It must have been buried 20 or 30 years ago....glad it wasn't fresh!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting the back yard of an abandoned old house and got a good hit at about 6 inches. Digging down I make out the shape of a metal box that's about 12" X 8" X 6".
Pulling it out of the ground gave me visions of the "big find", hoards of old silver coins and jewelry was going through my head. Once out of the ground I pried open the lid
with my digging tool and found the skeleton of some kind of rodent, it was ether a pet hamster or a rat! It must have been buried 20 or 30 years ago....glad it wasn't fresh!
Did you keep the metal box.....

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

I once saw a metal tin too, around the same size as the one you found. One and a half feet deep in the woods, under tons of huge roots. I had the same thoughts as you when I dug it. I pulled it out, a huge cookie metal cookie box from the late 1950's lol. I am now relieved it was not someone's pet after reading all the horror stories on here :). I regret not keeping it a little, it was very cool looking, unfortunately the bottom was completed toasted. Makes me wonder if there was a pet in it at some point after all, it is just not there anymore.....

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once saw a metal tin too, around the same size as the one you found. One and a half feet deep in the woods, under tons of huge roots. I had the same thoughts as you when I dug it. I pulled it out, a huge cookie metal cookie box from the late 1950's lol. I am now relieved it was not someone's pet after reading all the horror stories on here :). I regret not keeping it a little, it was very cool looking, unfortunately the bottom was completed toasted. Makes me wonder if there was a pet in it at some point after all, it is just not there anymore.....
If the bottom was gone then the pet wasn't dead and dug its way out........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread