5 pound box of old coins plus...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This old box of coins has been in the family many years and time to pass it along to someone else in an interesting way - including other stuff I'll add in. It weighs about five pounds and many are English pennies from early to mid 1900s (no monetary value since the country put them out of circulation). Others are half crowns from 1920 or so forward (50% silver content as of 1920 forward). A few other types of coins. Haven't looked em all up. I doubt there's a diamond in the rough, but you never know. I'll put a $5 bill in a plastic bag and maybe a few other things. Maybe a US button from my excellent War of 1812 fort site. Will bury it in the Southeast near I-95 highway and start posting clues in the coming weeks. Here's photo. Good luck! Please post back when you find it. Here's photo...(CORRECTION It's 23 pounds, not 5. Damn scale was screwed up. I knew it weighed 'a ton' to pick up for a small box)

Attachments

• coinbox.JPG
    coinbox.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awsome !!! Ive wanted to do something similar my self.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will be cool.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, Now just send me a private message with the location and I will make sure it is kept a secret! :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! That would make a memorable find for anybody . Just curious , were you inspired by other such caches? (Forest Fenn etc...)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a cool thing, :icon_thumleft: finding it will give someone a story to tell Thanks Givings to come.

I plan on doing something similar, like filling a few baby food jars with the zincoln coin star rejects from when I cash in my cents in January. The jars will also have a note enclosed that has 2 bits of info.

Loco-Digger Treasurenet.com

I am thinking of burying a few in some local public lands in town. Maybe someday I will get a PM concerning a glass jar full of zincolns and where it was dug. :dontknow:

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thank all and Agentenium, it just seemed like a cool thing to do. Glad to hear others have done so...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It occurred to me this last fall that I want to do something like that too . I have a few small silver boxes that I made years ago- I'm thinking that one of these filled with some silver coins ,and a note in a tiny glass container might be a nice little cache .

Last edited:

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea! So looking forward to hunting for it.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks. Will be 2 weeks before I get to bury it because of a biz trip, but will do so third week of Jan or so...and start posting clues. Should I make it easy or hard to find?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a lot of fun! :icon_thumleft:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Thanks. Will be 2 weeks before I get to bury it because of a biz trip, but will do so third week of Jan or so...and start posting clues. Should I make it easy or hard to find?

Cool idea and very generous!

I wouldn't make the clues too easy, start hard and if nobody clues in on it, lower the difficulty of the clues :icon_thumright:

Good luck to all that are able to participate in the treasure hunt!

-Brian

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Since DBANDGB asked - he'll be in the region of someone who could take a drive to the area based on location noted in profile. It wouldn't be a short drive but wouldn't be too long either...I'll repost this clue after I bury so all are equal...so I guess this is the first clue.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Correction - 26 pounds - not 5. Scale was screwed up. It's friggin heavy

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a big back yard and a shovel you can borrow if you want to bury it here.......

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Anyone here a geocacher or ever find a geocache before? I do both. Double counts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread