Illnesses, diseases, infections, and other health problems contracted while detecting

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone else here has ever contracted any sort of health problem from/during activities related to treasure hunting. What I mean is, whether you realize it or not, this is a hobby where we are frequently exposed to elements, pathogens and organisms that are hazardous to your health. For example, our rusty farm field finds can harbor the bacteria that cause tetanus, and the thick vegetation we venture through is prime real estate for ticks, which carry Lyme disease. Now most of us probably don't think twice about things like this, but it really is something you should be aware of on your travels.

I personally learned this the hard way.

My Story

It was a hot day last summer, and I was swinging the detector in a residential area when I came upon a quite impressive clad spill in a patch of loose dirt. I was finding so many coins that I put away my detector, sat down Indian-style on the ground and just used my pinpointer to locate each one. I probably spent an hour sitting in the exact same spot just pulling out penny after dime after nickel with my bare hands and pinpointer. When I got home, I was tired and didn't feel like showering, so I just dusted myself off, changed out of my shorts and t-shirt, and went to bed. The problem is, I hadn't thought about the small, almost-healed cut I had on the side of my lower leg when I was sitting Indian-style in the dirt for an hour. That whole time, I was getting dry, crumbly dirt rubbed into what remained of the cut, which is bad enough -- but then I didn't even wash up when I got home later.

The next day I had a couple of pink bumps around the cut, and assumed I had gotten bit by a spider or something. When I woke up the second day my lower leg was in horrible pain to where I could barely walk and was swollen to the point it was hard to tell where my ankle started. After a week of ice, antibiotics, and laying with an elevated leg literally any time I wasn't going to the bathroom, I went back to the doctor and we realized it was not spider bites but an infection which had developed into cellulitis (WARNING: do NOT Google that). This time they brought in a med student for the wonderful opportunity to gaze at my condition, drew a border around the infection with a surgical marker, and sent me home with two new antibiotics which would cover antibiotic-resistant strains such as MRSA. Another week of ice and staring at the ceiling went by and the infection got worse to the point where I went to the E.R. in the middle of the night and received intravenous antibiotics and fluids while they monitored a low-grade fever. By this point I had been using a cane to get around (despite normally being a regular jogger) when necessary. Fortunately the IV antibiotic got me on the path to recovery, but in the few resting days afterwards I ended up getting an allergic reaction to one of the oral IVs and developed a horrible rash all over my body which I had to apply steroid cream to hourly for several more days. To top it all off, I received an absolutely heinous bill from the combined effects of my two office visits and E.R. visit.

In the end I had lost close to 3 weeks of my life which I spent tied to an ice pack, staring at the ceiling, feeling like nauseous from the antibiotics and in severe pain, then had to pay about a month's salary in exchange for my experience. All of this could possibly have been avoided if I had done any one of several things: a) worn jeans instead of shorts while playing in the dirt; b) worn a bandaid to cover an open cut; c) taken my annual bath after I got done rolling in the soil; d) got a weekend job instead of hunting for corroded zinc pennies buried in the ground.

Your Stories

While I'm sure my story is unusual, I know for a fact I am not the only person on this forum who has had a health problem develop during/following a treasure outing. If anyone else is willing to share their stories, I'd appreciate it! And of course, I'd also be interested in hearing about anything you do to protect yourself from ending up in situations like I did. As for me, that experience led to me going out far less frequently and I've only hunted two or three times since then. When I do, I make sure I have even the smallest cuts bandaged and covered, I wear long sleeves and gloves, only touch dirt with the shovel, never sit, and take a shower with pre-surgery soap after I get home. I feel like the germophobes from TV shows, but I am happy to report that although many people who get cellulitis once are re-infected within six months (and regularly afterwards), I have yet to have a repeat experience. I credit this at least partially due to the preventative measures I now take. Crossing my fingers for the future.

Either way, take care of yourselves out there!

-mcl

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can't remember where but there was some guy on here who said when he was digging he smelt something weird lile chemicals and got really sick than went back and got really sick again after. Thought it was a meth lab there once.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I can't remember where but there was some guy on here who said when he was digging he smelt something weird lile chemicals and got really sick than went back and got really sick again after. Thought it was a meth lab there once.
That happened to me. My best guess is that they were cooking meth back there and burned the place down.

As for other illnesses, I've never had a problem.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have limited my detecting to beaches and public places, but a lot of places I've had to work is a different story. One of our concerns is meth labs on abandoned property or remote areas were we travel for facility repairs. I have been stung by hornets that turned into the condition you contracted. Left untreated it kills tissue and can lead to amputations. I'm up to date on my vaccines because of my work.

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That happened to me. My best guess is that they were cooking meth back there and burned the place down.

As for other illnesses, I've never had a problem.

I remembered the killer pear but couldn't remember the username haha glad you're alright, sure sounds like they might've. I keep on a full NBC gas mask in areas with lots of pidgeon poo after getting sick the first couple times even though I never came into direct contact. Hopefully I don't run into methlab remains with the fumes still there.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post mcl and thanks for sharing it - did make me stop & think. Here along Texas Gulf Coast during the summer months at times there can be flesh eating bacteria in the warm Gulf water.

Texas ED

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My story is rather short.
I hit right leg with an axe whilst chopping firewood and finger on the leg was cut badly. I always have a medi kit with me, so first aid was rendered by me. Then I was transported to a hospital by car. Thnks to my mates!

2 surgical seams were applied to finger and I departed home. 7 days later I continued to mding.

The morale is:
Never be in hurry when working with an axe.
Never chop firewood at night time.
Get everything prepaid before sunset

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread