cleaning coins

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I am so confussed on the cleaning of coins i dont know which cleaning works best!! Funny thing 98% of people say olive oil is good, to soak them in, the other 2% say ''I woulnt do that if you wanna sale it'' .......Im just gonna leave my coins, the way i dig them..Next question, is that a good idea, to leave coins in the same shape you dig them????let me here 100% of people say, the same thing.lol

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Cleaned coins are not really worth much if you try to sell them. If you are lucky enough to find a key date coin -16D Merc for example. You should not touch it as far as cleaning. It needs to be sent to a professional coin service for examination and recommendations. If you try anything the value drops like a rock. For everyday coins, I think people are saying olive oil is safe. It may take years for a coin to soak clean in olive oil. It just won't hurt the coin to stay in it.

Any rubbing of a coin will scratch it. Removing dirt with a camel hair brush, rinsing in soapy water and patting dry is about as safe as it gets for "regular" coins you just want to keep. You won't get them completely clean but they will be presentable. For clad coins, a tumbler and aquarium sand works good.

If the coins are corroded or have bronze disease. They are "dead meat" anyway so do what you like to try and clean them. Nothing usually works very well. Electrolysis for silver. Who knows what for the rest.

It really depends on how you want your coins to look. If you like the old patina, just wash with as little abrasion as possible and don't use any chemicals that will strip the patina. If you want them really clean and shiny, go for the chemicals, wire brushes, and buffing wheels. Most dug coins are worth much anyway so you aren't doing much as far as taking away value.

Nuf said?

Daryl

OP
OP
L

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
BioProfessor said:
Cleaned coins are not really worth much if you try to sell them. If you are lucky enough to find a key date coin -16D Merc for example. You should not touch it as far as cleaning. It needs to be sent to a professional coin service for examination and recommendations. If you try anything the value drops like a rock. For everyday coins, I think people are saying olive oil is safe. It may take years for a coin to soak clean in olive oil. It just won't hurt the coin to stay in it.

Any rubbing of a coin will scratch it. Removing dirt with a camel hair brush, rinsing in soapy water and patting dry is about as safe as it gets for "regular" coins you just want to keep. You won't get them completely clean but they will be presentable. For clad coins, a tumbler and aquarium sand works good.

If the coins are corroded or have bronze disease. They are "dead meat" anyway so do what you like to try and clean them. Nothing usually works very well. Electrolysis for silver. Who knows what for the rest.

It really depends on how you want your coins to look. If you like the old patina, just wash with as little abrasion as possible and don't use any chemicals that will strip the patina. If you want them really clean and shiny, go for the chemicals, wire brushes, and buffing wheels. Most dug coins are worth much anyway so you aren't doing much as far as taking away value.

Nuf said?

Daryl
My worries are ''Im affraid of it leaving my hands'' can i trust it being sent?will it get lost in the mail? when i call the company i sent it to will they reply ,''what coin!! we never recieved '' know what i mean..
Thanks bio !!! Were is you treasure finds ;D lets see''im ill bet you have a bunch..

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Just deal with the reputable coin graders ACGS, NCG, etc. Send the coins registered mail - insured - return receipt requested. These grading houses deal with thousands of coins worth millions of dollars. Their system works. They will get the coin. You will get it back. Don't worry.

If you really want to make sure it is your coin, just use a nail and scratch your name on the back. JUST KIDDING!!!!

Daryl

OP
OP
L

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
BioProfessor said:
Just deal with the reputable coin graders ACGS, NCG, etc. Send the coins registered mail - insured - return receipt requested. These grading houses deal with thousands of coins worth millions of dollars. Their system works. They will get the coin. You will get it back. Don't worry.

If you really want to make sure it is your coin, just use a nail and scratch your name on the back. JUST KIDDING!!!!

Daryl
Thanks for the info!! ill just drill a hole at the top ;D

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Just remember that it will be at the bottom on the other side. Make sure you choose side first!! ;D

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread