Garret 5x8 DD coil is it worth the money?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started detecting I always thought bigger was better. Three years in a I have evolved to know that smaller can make it easier to hunt target rich/trashy sites due the the better target separation that a smaller coil provides. You might want to think about going with a smaller coil the the 5" x 8". I have 5 coils for my detector ranging from 12" x "15" dpwn to a 5" DD.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I run one on an Ace 350.
Were I hunting low target areas I' d put the larger coil back on.
My claim is better target separation ,but less weight does not bother me either.
Not sure about depth ,but have located a couple silver dimes deeper than expected,and for all practical considerations ,in the basement of my hunting areas.
Faint tones though.

OP
OP
G

gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I asked the wrong question does the bigger coils have deeper penetration than a smaller coil or is it just a smaller and bigger search area

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In pro mode all metal and proper ground balance youll achieve maximum depth. The lengthof the coil in generally the depth youre able to get. 5X8 you should be able to get down about 8 inches. Others have foound things deeper yes. The stock coil should be good for atleast 11.5 inches. Have others found stuff deeper? Yes. The big NEL coils go well over a foot deep.

OP
OP
G

gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet, thank you for that answer I thought you would lose a little depth with the smaller coils but they fail to mention that in the demo's I've seen. thank you for the input everyone

OP
OP
G

gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the stock coil very much I haven't had any problems finding anything, just didn't know if I was missing out on anything with the 5x8 lol. if I was to get the same depth I would buy it for the reason of less swinging weight but I think I'm good with the stock one.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello gooseman518,

Coils are tools to be used in specific situations, their size, shape and design all have pros and cons. Having multiple coils will increase the chances of finding those keepers in challenging hunting areas.

Regards,

Doc

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may also think of it this way depending on the design of your coil if u put a big shovel full of dirt on the ground and tried to find the target in it it would be harder to find than in a small pile. So in a trashy area with a smaller coil it is searching a smaller area more precisely as it's field of substance is smaller with a big coil the field is bigger and therefor contains more stuff to identify it will go deeper but in a place with many targets or nails etc it will be picking up multiple targets whereas the smaller will be able to pick through the "not wanted ones" easier n more accurately -it also has the ability to desperate and recover quicker than a large coil hope that helps

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general the bigger the coil, the deeper it will hit but it will not be as good on smaller items nearer the surface. A smaller coil will be a little less deep but hit harder on smaller items. Smaller coils naturally give one better target separation. In days gone by an 8" coil was standard on most machines, then manufacturers started making 11" coils standard so they could claim greater depth which is often unnecessary for general coin hunting undisturbed grounds. I generally keep the 5X8" on my ATP and an 8" SunRay on my Safari. Like Loco, I like a lot of coils, they adapt one's machine to different hunting conditions, and many hunters realize that as a need for their arsenal of machines. I have four coils for the ATP, three for the Safari, and four for my Infinium. If you mostly coin hunt in undisturbed (not landscaped or flooded over) sites that are target rich or trashy you will love the 5X8" on your ATP.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the 5x8 if I'm focusing on a certain small park area. I love how it squeezes in between trash. But as far as using it in a big open field, it feels like coloring a poster board with a ball point pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread