Age in relation to depth?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carolis Linnaeas came up with the theorem that deeper means older.

BUT, soil is disturbed by weather, flood, frost and man. Things get tilled, graded, dug and redeposited all the time.

I have found Indian Head cents on the surface and Roosevelt dimes (1986 date) 10" deep. The first 18" of soil is anyone's guess because it gets repeatably tilled or disturbed.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... You never know till you dig it.. It makes no sense just go with it... I resently found a 1896 V nickel 1/4" deep. I dig all signal like they are silver or gold now. You just never know. I see some people use "probes" and screw drivers to locate and get targets out of the ground. Take care with your targets when digging them. At any depth!

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I am the soil cracks bad when dry. These cracks can be up to 2 inches wide and no telling how deep. So how ever often that happens I can see New clad sinking DEEP along with the old sinking even DEEPER. I have found recent clad at 8" and my 1899 V Nickel came out at 4". So there could be a formula but it would only pertain to certain soils and. None of those soils are around me. Dig everything that sounds good and some that don't sound as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 've yet to see a formula but it would be cool to build an analysis to see trends.

Ill start this what would I think needed for easy read slide chart;

Region.....Northeast, mid Atlantic, FLA, rust belt, California,
Soil type...sand or loom antonia-plantation-and-one-of-the-100-year-old-registerd-oak-trees-3.gif
Topography
Trees, scrubs, fields

Caveat; I put tress because the size of tree will tell you apx how long ago was area uprooted/manipulated. For example 4 foot trunk/ base your looking at 200 years.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
imo. any formula worth its salt would have to be VERY site specific and even then there would be a significant error bar. About all you can sure of is Deeper = Older.....until any soil disturbance comes into play.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree too many variables. Quite a few years back my brother found a "V" nickel about an inch down below a sage bush.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I hunted this smallish now modern park and hit a sweet spot. in this section, was a bunch of coins from teens to 40's at least seven inches in depth. On the surface was a zinc signal the blew my ears off, so i passed it...and pass it next time, and pass it several more times over the course of two months. Finally I was so sick of this zinc, that I decided to "get it out of the way". Less than an inch was a sweet conditioned 1901 indian. It totally changed my mind about depth and age.

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a formula to tell the approximate age of something in relation to its depth?

I know erosion, slope of the soil... lots of other factors can influence depth.

Lets say I found something that was around 10 inches deep and relative flat ground. Is there a formula to give an approximate age?

My formula is: If I can still read the date on the coin I know how old it is in relation to its depth in any soil it is found in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread