Prov15:6

Greenie
Aug 25, 2014
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Whites Eagle2, Whites Surfmaster2, Garret Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, a friend of mine found a copper disc a few years ago and threw it aside thinking it was just junk. After coming across it again recently he looked closer and could make out some shapes and possible letters. We are in Washington State so large cents are extremely rare out here, especially in the eastern part of the state. He measured his coin to be 30 mm and weighed in at 7.6 grams. According to the books a us large cent is 29 mm and just over 10 Grams. Is it possible that it could have lost more than 2 grams from wear and corrosion? Is there anything we can do to bring out more detail without damaging it more? Also, it may have some lettering on the edge. He thinks he can see the shape of a capped bust which would make it a possible 1795. I don't see it. I made a pencil tracing on a piece of paper and saw a wreath on one side and the other had some detail that to me looked like a braided hair variety, but I did make out what really does appear to be an R on the edge. We're there any later varieties with writing on the edge? Sorry I don't have any photos, just couldn't get any detail on a photo.

Thanks

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you post good pictures these guys on here will identify it quickly, At least I would bet. Lots of knowledge on here.

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there's some pretty good people on here that I would bet could identify with good enough pics... and I'll note that a few times I've seen them recommend taking pics against a black background... Try it... I bet someone on here will nail it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Greenie
Aug 25, 2014
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I will try to get some good pictures of it.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also go down to Treasure Hunting then to Coins and put it there also and see if anyone knows what it is there. I saw that someone had a 1795 Capped Bust just posted. You might wanted check that and see if it looks anything like what you have.

OP
OP
P

Greenie
Aug 25, 2014
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, finally got some photos, but they don't show any details so problem not much help. This thing is smooth.

IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0645.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
OP
OP
P

Greenie
Aug 25, 2014
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know, I didn't think these pics would be any help. Thanks anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread