What kind od waders to buy

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wandering it there is a certain brand of waders everyone uses during the winter? Summer i will wear shorts and shoes, but in winter wasn't sure because I didn't want to puncture the feet part in those trashy rivers and creeks.
I know there are other threads on this, but they are old and i'm sure they have came out with better one.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An important consideration with buying waders is to be sure they are
robust and tough enough to do the job, as otherwise you're either
replacing them or patching holes on a regular basis.

Been steelhead fishing up here in the Skagit River for many years, and
believe me it's not a fun time getting a hole in your waders when it's 20F.
out, the water is just above freezing and you're in it up to your belly button....:tongue3:

Bought the LaCrosse Tuff waders about 10 years ago, and since then have
walked many a river, ripped my way through a number of blackberry patches
(ie: big-assed thorns) and they're still in great shape. The knee areas are
especially reinforced. Note though that they are 5mm of neoprene, and if it's
above 50F. out you'll be sweating your arse off.

https://www.basspro.com/LaCrosse-Sw...-Chest-Waders-for-Men/product/14022609214423/

Maybe you don't need full chest waders? You might consider the waist-high
versions as they're much easier to walk around in.

Also, whatever you get be sure you can get out of them in a hurry, if needed.
If you're wearing the looser-around-the-chest, sock foot style (wear your own
boots), keep in mind that if you fall in those waders will fill right up with water,
making it all but impossible to get back on your feet. A good waist belt around
them helps, but it will only slow down the flooding of the lower pants portion.

Just my two centavos worth....:icon_thumright:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Hodgman neoprene chest waders and if I don't need them that high I fold the top down. They might be too warm for even Winter in Texas. I only buy waders with felt soles on the boots, they grip the best on slimy or mossy rocks.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man! I happen to know a whole lot about waders having owned no less than two dozen pairs of three different types.

There are three different materials used in wader construction that I am aware of. These are rubber, PVC plastic, and neoprene.

Rubber waders and PVC waders cost about the same. Rubber is abrasion resistant while PVC offers littte resistance to puncture and even a slight scratch can cause PVC waders to leak. Also, rubber waders are heavy in comparison to PVC. As with shoes or boots, waking around all day with heavy waders gets to be real uncomfortable after a short time, which is why PVC became popular in the first place. PVC waders are very light in weight.

Neoprene is what waders fit for a king are made from. Neoprene is light and flexes easily. Properly sized Neoprene waders are by far the most comfortable waders if you need to walk around in them all day as I used to do for work. Some Neoprene waders are lighter weight than others. The heavy duty ones will have reinforced knees, which is what you will need if you might have to crouch down at all. But- you don't get the best for nothing.Good Neoprene is frighteningly expensive.

As far as brand, that is a decision you are going to have to make for yourself. I recommend trying 'em on at the store and walking, kneeling, and crouching in them just like you would if you were buying a pair of boots. The suspenders need to fit well too, and they should be elastic so one can bend. The old style leather or nylon web suspenders are fine for walking upright but when one tries to bend down they will give you a "wedgie". Don't forget to pick up a patch kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for for taking your time to give input and information. Greatly appreciated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread