Whats a good detector for beginners?

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much most in that same price range from all the big name company's are going to be decent detectors. One thing to keep in mind though is you may want to get a pinpointer also. Some don't and wait and get one later so it's not a must but it does help out a TON.

Buying used will save you some money and you could possibly find either a better detector for your price or save enough to add a pinpointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope this helps!

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what your budget is, but I just picked up a Tesoro Silver uMax and ProPointer AT from KellyCo. Took it out this weekend and I am digging it. Both are working really well.

Amazon has a sweet package with the ACE300 and ProPointer for just over $400, which doesn't seem like a bad deal if you have the scratch. I watched videos of the Garrett models and couldn't get on with the bing bong door bell tones, so I looked elsewhere.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Eurotek is a super bargain and has excellent performance - any forum sponsor dealer can set you up with one for $160 or less.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the others have said, it depends on what you are wanting to spend. Also, what kind of hunting and were will you hunt, land, beach, water, all of these? You will also want to go with drenalin11's suggestion and see if you can get a package with a pinpointer, they are nice and help once the plug is dug. Also, do you have something to dig with, look and see if there are packages with all items you may want. Amazon, Kellyco, etc. should have some available. You should also be able to visit the sites for all of the major suppliers and check out the detectors and see what each offers and maybe even find videos to watch. I ended up going to Minelab, White's, Garrett, and then You Tube to look. And then wished I had looked at Fisher and some of the others, but I'll get rid of and older unit and get something newer to me later and just do the research. Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

OP
OP
S

SinKoh

Jan 21, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mostly going to be detecting in cities, parks, and woods. I'm really wanting something good for Coins and Jewelry. It would be nice to find some old Civil War items. The main thing would be coins for me though. Since I have started detecting I have always wanted to find mercury dimes and buffalo nickels. If anybody has good sites to find used detectors I wouldn't mind those. I think I will go with the Pro-Pointer AT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread