ANYONE TRIED, YOU PICK IT FARMS

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to come up with places to go and looked up produce farms, thinking i might be able to find places where people grow corn or just what ever and try to see it they would let me detect after they plowed the fields, upon looking those up, i came across a boat load of you pick it yourself. I was wondering if anyone has tried those. Seems to me people would loose alot of things in there, always bent over picking things. plus looking also for old coins and stuff.
Thanks

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! I would figure someone would have thought to tried it. lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked Tomatoes in My teens for a Local Farmer Once.
I found out I was allergic to Something in the field or Got Heat Stroke.
Not sure which, But I ended up Shaking Uncontrollably & ill and had to Stop.
But knowing how they Do it, I'm sure Shirt Pocket Change would at the Very Least be sprinkled
in the Fields, & possibly a Ring or More from accidentally reaching into Rotten Tomatoes &
lubing your Fingers.

farmers-harvesting.jpg

Here they were in Rows & we Got small Bushel Baskets .
But the Positioning to pic was the same

==================

I've also Picked Apples in the Fall through 70's 80's 90's
Know of one woman who lost a Watch in a tree.
being Mowing between the trees was not important to them
All kinds of stuff would be lost there.
including Beer & soda Cans & Tabs though .
Especially since for us it was a Party like Atmosphere.
Several Rows of Trees , Music Blaring , We would each take a Row .
of course climbing ladders & reaching in could snag all types of
things. & those who Fell regularly ... who Knows :dontknow:

0830_apple-picking-3.jpg
And most apple tree farmers Fear damage to roots.
So Former Orchards would probably be Necessary

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im sure going to give it a try. Never know till you ask and try

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the U-pick it around here are still in business but never thought about it. You have a good suggestion and well worth looking into. No harm in checking at least and who knows what you may find!

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy. I'm still trying to figure out the parks in Houston. So far from what I have figured out, its not allowed in Houston But since my head injury, my understanding of things are not so great. I am trying to find out who to call, and in Conroe TX as well

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Texas, but most of the ones in this area of Virginia seem to be family owned and run and it is finding out who they are and how to get a hold of them. I may swing by a few on the weekends and see if any have phone numbers posted for contact and approach that way. As for the orchards, most of the family ones were sold and developed into housing developments or shopping and others absorbed by larger fruit companies. More searching on those. I guess maybe yellow pages, or web searches under you-pick farms would be a start.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You's are Talking fields where people Pick for themselves of Course.

But do not rule out the Farmers Who Hired Migrant Workers Years Ago.
and switched to hiring locals when the Migrant Thing got political.
these would be the places with the older losses .

egd_02_img0164.jpg stock-photo-carrot-pullers-harvesting-in-coachella-valley-california-were-migrant-workers-from-t.jpg Migrant_agricultural_worker's_family,_Nipomo,_California_ppmsca03054u.jpg

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found at you pick it farms. We have club hunts at them. Lots of great finds, but keep in mind, we're in NY.

20150404_115940 bracelet 14k.jpg 20150404_172201 chain weigh.jpg

reals front one real.jpg finds 4-12-14 dime.jpg

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, all we have here probably is Spanish gold. lol
I will take it. lol

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Skippy, much appreciated. Wish my brain still worked like it used to. Cant wait to get old when normal folks start loosing theirs. :BangHead:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why, in Oklahoma, most farmer's watermelon fields were you pick it yourself whether they knew it or not. The thing we did mostly in farmer's fields was look for arrowheads. The ground was turned up, and modern farmers planted in about the same places prehistoric farmers did.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out I was allergic to Something in the field or Got Heat Stroke.
Not sure which, But I ended up Shaking Uncontrollably & ill and had to Stop.

a severe reaction to work no doubt....

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there Earl. My oldest son had a TBI at age 5, and has spent the last 11 years of his life scaffolding around the damage. You'd now never know it. He's a Junior in High School, and an honor roll student for the last year. Got his first A in math this semester (logic center was where the damage was...we were told he'd probably never be able to do math at a level beyond the basics). The effort he's put in over the years is just amazing. It brings tears to my eyes (literally, I've got eye leaks, right now), thinking about how hard he's worked to make that happen. Man that kid works.. he's my hero in so many ways. People he meets would NEVER know what he's been through.

Stuff like that takes time, and even if things aren't ever "the way they used to be," you can find ways around things. Like coming to T-Net and posting a request for help. Awesome! And, I'm glad to have found some info for you. :)

Best of luck out hunting, and be sure to post what you find, so we up north, in the snow, can live vicariously through you.

Happy Hunting!

Skippy

That's awesome. I do find ways around my problems, I'm stubborn, like to do things on my own if all possible. I was raised that way. My dad was born in 1919, lol
so I was raised old school. He was 25 years older than my mom when they met, i was about 8 months old. I never got an A even when I didn't have the frontal lob damage. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread