To clean or not to clean, that is the question.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curious how one determines what should or should not be cleaned, restored, or polished?

I know certain items are worth more with a natural 'patina', which is just fancy for oxidation or rust if it's iron based.

I also know that cleaning coins with chemicals or abrasives is a big NoNo.

Cleaning and polishing old jewelry has never been a bad thing that I know of.

What about the other stuff where they say condition is everything. In most cases a dug relic is in poor condition, so what's wrong with doing a bit of restoration work?

I recently picked up a good polishing kit for my Dremel but can't decide what's safe to restore and what needs left alone.

For example, I found an old Herculese Buggies watch fob
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what-s-worth/515632-watch-fob.html

I think it might be worth more to a collector polished up ready for display rather than tarnished like it is, but I just don't know. It's a catch 22.

Feel free to post your own items, and questions about this topic.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what I was afraid of....
Dead silence.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all depends on the material, age , condition... etc
Too many variables , you have to decide on a piece by piece decision.
The fob you found could be lightly cleaned with a toothbrush and mild soap/water
Iron / electrolysis . There are cleaners for all kinds of metals. Best to leave it up to the next guy.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The items are your's do as you want. I am only concerned with key date coins, I leave them alone. Just to let you know I have yet to sell any finds. I believe someday in the future I might scrap my gold, but for now I enjoy looking at them in my display.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We clean it. Particularly old coins.

That way we can see it better and enjoy it in my display.

I don't sell my finds.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are selling ,it depends on the buyer. A buyer can clean an item ,or have it cleaned ,or leave it as is.
Some recoveries need preservation ,not the same as cleaning though.

Most recoveries I carefully ( depending on item) remove soil.
Non rare silver coins made all pretty again. Cause shiny silver I like....and hoard.
Takes very little to create fine scratches.
If you are not going to part with your fob,do what you like. If selling ,maybe list it as recovered and uncleaned /un polished.

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was new to the hobby I got overly excited over an old pendant and I polished it up. I still regret it! When I show people my collection of vintage finds, that shiny pendant almost looks unauthentic.

I've attached the "before" pic. I don't have a "after" pic but just imagine any of the dime-a-dozen shiny old pendants you see in the antique shops.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485749215.980990.jpg

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not do anything more than lightly wash and pat dry old coins. If you are possibly going to sell them, do not add to any wear they may have. Water, mild detergent and a soft-bristle toothbrush as flyadive stated. Pendants or a fob, try not to over clean for the same reason and if they are already a bit crusty, you may want to make sure that the crust doesn't become pits. Beyond that, it is personal preference depending if keeping or selling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread