Spanish Archives question for the Colonial Spanish experts

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I utilize PARES (Portal de archivos Espanoles) often to research potential sites here in El Dorado. However, sometimes I am surprised at how little comes up when I search for various terms. Recently I talked to a Spaniard who mentioned that "less than 15% of the colonial archives in Seville are available on-line." This surprised me but would make sense considering that I often don't find as much as I'd hope. Does anyone know if this is true?

Portal de Archivos Españoles

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
perdidogringo,

As you may know, there are 34,000 archives in Spain of which 14,000 belong to the church. The remainder are spread out all over the place. Of the national total, 68 are in the care of the Ministry of Culture of which six are state archives. The largest of these is the GAA which has 160,000 linear meters of holdings, 9 million documents and 15,000 books.
I believe it wasn't until about 1990 that the Ministry embarked on a program to upgrade the archives (including the Archive of the Indies in Seville) by initiating a program to computerize, catalog and create a retrieval system.
I don't expect the process to be completed in my lifetime--even if I were 20 years younger.
Don.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Don! I did not know that so thanks for taking the time to break it down for me. Wow, just think of all the valuable information I am missing out on here in S.A.! :BangHead:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Anything that's available "on-line" , means that some poor soul had to photo it, text it, post it, add their own text, and so forth. So if you REALLY want a front-row seat to whatever might be there for your research: Volunteer as a docent to archive the dusty-dry legions of paperwork information. That's the only way this stuff ever gets into the on-line ability.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread