Who can help me explore & access a steep, man made cave I found?

gearlylight

Feb 8, 2017
Valley Village, CA
Detector(s) used
I don't have one; wish I did!
Primary Interest:
Other
I am beyond excited! I found a rectangular cave (man made) which is HIGH up a steep, sheer mountain cliff in Santa Clarita, CA (less than 2 miles from the famous Bowers Cave; whose Indian artifacts are now at the Harvard museum). Clearly, this cave was cut into rock many years (if not centuries) ago. Even more astonishing, is the fact that approx 20 yards to the left of this cave entrance is a "face" carved into the rock! Right next to this "face" is what looks like some sort of ceremonial "altar"; white rocks in a circular pattern with a large, black rock in the center. The cave is approx 100+ yards up a sheer, shale rock wall; inaccessible without professional rock climbing gear which I don't own nor have experience with using. Although this cave and face carving are alongside a well worn path accessible by many hikers, the cave and face carving are hidden from view. I only saw them through my binoculars. Since I could zoom in on these things, I couldn't see any signs of them having been disturbed. In fact, the face is mainly obscured by overgrown foliage.

Can someone PLEASE help me with what I should do about this? I'd like to have someone explore this cave before we contact the proper society about this find. I'd be embarrassed if there were only empty beer bottles in this cave showing that it's been visited before but I highly doubt it since this cave is not accessible. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 110

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I highly doubt the "face" is anything more than coincidental shapes of rocks. And I highly doubt someone hasn't already seen and explored the cave. Either by descending from above by rope gear, or whatever. Because of the nearby famous Bowers cave, and dense So. CA populations nearby, it's not like such an obvious feature wouldn't have been seen and explored. There is no shortage of indian artifact collectors after all (both in the 1880s and up-to-the present), then go figure: After the hoopala of the Bowers cave discovery, curiosity seekers combed every conceivable inch of mountains around there looking for more.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread