?

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ I always seem to go out and find a pocket full of clad just shy of the silver dates and not to excited about it.. ]

I am in the same boat. Last weekend I found a 66 quarter. During the Xmas break I hunted an elementary school that has been there since the late 60's.
In 3 days around 8 hours of hunting I found about 350 coins. No silver but I had at least 5 1965 dimes probably around 25 or 30 coins from the 60's but not one silver?
My detector is picking up about 6" sometimes 7". It is a whites mxt and I am in sandy florida hunting. Is the silver hunted out or down below 8"??? I found a merc the other day
at 7". No problem picking it up. I am hunting an old abandoned house and am finding a few wheats and a war nickel but no silver? The mxt seems to be very accurate, but I don't get hits much below 7" I have a dd eclipse coil and a 12" coil and I don't seem to get much more depth with the larger coil maybe an inch? The bigger coil definitely has constant chatter and multiple hits.
I am trying to figure out if I need to find a better place to hunt or get a better detector?

Mike

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area the soil limits the MXT depth. I hunt with a few guys who use them and they dont tell or not doing as well as the rest of the group.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend you get permission to detect the yard of a home that's been around for quite a while. By that I mean a house that was built well before 1965. If this site has never been detected, you will have a great chance of finding silver. Last summer, I found a merc and silver rosie along with a wheat penny in the same hole, only down about 3". I bet your detector would have easily found these coins. We all at some time or another, question our detectors depth capabilities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions