My screen name is XXXXXXX.... and I'm a Detectoholic!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to preface this post with I'm not belittling addiction, recovery, or recovery groups. I've delt with addiction in my personal life, as well as with many close to me.

If you have any good examples of taking detecting too far, it would be nice to hear them.

My latest story involves snow

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489323078.744654.jpg

Couldn't detect, so I dug a pit. Took about 3-6" off the top to remove the top iron.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489323122.395608.jpg

Didn't find much besides roseheads and a nice cauldron leg. And some pottery and black glass.

Let a hear it!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave the construction crews free lodging in trade for piling the old sidewalk dirt on my property. I even took a job with a part time job with one of those company's that takes care of the foreclosed properties. I've given up on chopping through tundra. Hope your back is doing well!

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya!
I am a oholic period. I move from one obsession to another - Hunt - Trap - Fish - Boat - Artifacts - Metal Detect - and sometimes 2 at the same time.
Sometime I'm pretty sure after a long day of still hunting and seeing nothing, its because walking creeks may be quieter, I cant keep from staring at the gravel as I walk
I fish a lot in frigid weather but I have not yet dug for artifacts in the snow :laughing7:

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to detect a field that was around 5 acres and was all weeds/brush so I brush hogged it and when it was still a pain because my coil would get coughs in the trash I mowed the entire thing with my garden tractor.... it took hours but I did find an Indian and a couple flat buttons!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll skip meals for extra swing time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when are you attending your 12 step program meeting scrappy? :dontknow: It's frozen this weekend, so I just went out driving back roads yesterday looking for more prospective sites. :icon_thumright: The weather is supposed to warm up so I see me swinging the coil this coming weekend. :hello2:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out in negative 5 degrees yesterday to scout a new site deep in the woods. Found 4 pull tabs and cans, found out I was far away from where I should have been checking when looking at maps later.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have many times, looking as professional as possible, hauled mowers and such to vacant lots, city own or other wise and cut overgrowth to detect. I figure I'm doing someone a service by cutting the overgrowth for the opportunity to hunt. Fair trade in my mind.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My employer bought this old house next to our shop and was planning to tear it down and use the land for annex parking. I made a deal with him to let me remove the entire front porch so I could detect the ground below it. The porch sat about a foot above the ground so this was the only way. I spent my Saturday using hammer,cats paw and hand saw to disassemble the well built porch decking and joists......only to find not one penny under there where I imagined a fist full of silver falling through all those cracks. Must have been some pretty frugal folks living there for all those years. But I would do it all over again, but with cordless tool technology of course.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I went water hunting. It was 15 degrees and choppy. No big deal right? Well, it is when you walk 2 miles to your spot and realize you left your custom shoulder length water gloves back at the truck and you try hunting without them. Ever tried hunting in waist deep water with your sleeves rolled up in the middle of winter? Lasted about 30 min.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys really ARE nuts, I am in such GOOD company. For me? In order to get professional help for my detecting obsession, I would need to want it, and I don't. CARRY ON! I say.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a permission once. One acre lot, with knee high grass. The lady said that I could hunt it, but that I had to mow the grass first. I don't cut my own grass, so cutting someone else's just didn't seem like a good idea.

I called my lawn service, gave them the address, and showed up after work to a freshly cut lawn. You should have seen the look on her face. Priceless!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
But we do get different results, so it's not insane at all! :occasion14:

Gold ring and ring-pull tab show exact same VDI #'s and different results!
attachment.php

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Obsession would be a better term than Addiction here.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my buddy and I go binge detecting. Often detecting from 9 or 10 am all the way till 2 or 3 in the morning. Theres nothing more centering than digging about 300 holes in a row.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap your stories are hilarious. Very nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread