Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6 Quarters, 4 dimes, 3 nickels 8 zinclons, a key chain, one hitter, key, and nice little something. BUT I did pullout a 1941 Merc and a ( I think ) tungston ring. IMG_2003.JPG IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2018.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey no I haven't I've been tempted but I didn't think you could go up in there? Have you ever been? Have you found anything? Are you a local of New Orleans? I'll go hit it tomorrow LOL. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated ce0909. I'll drive down to the city at least twice a week and hunt there. I've tried to read as much as I could on city Park and never really knew where the oldest part was I always assumed it was around the museum. Educate me sensei!!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
yep back in the day, early 80s since katrina and the rework
prob some real goodies now

Is metal detecting allowed in City Park?

Yes. Please note that any treasures found on City Park grounds are
technically the property of the State of Louisiana.
- See more at:
Frequently Asked Questions | New Orleans City Park

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Is metal detecting allowed in City Park?

Yes. Please note that any treasures found on City Park grounds are
technically the property of the State of Louisiana.
- See more at:
Frequently Asked Questions | New Orleans City Park

Oh well gee, now aren't ya glad you asked ? I bet you could get that answer at ANY park across the entire USA. Yet .... last I looked, .... a quick view of the show & tell finds forums shows people finding goodies in scores of parks everywhere. Do you think they're rushing to the city or state to "turn them in" ?

Here's the way it works:
There are ALWAYS boiler plate obligatory verbiage about "harvest" , "remove", & "take". So that no numbskull thinks he can help himself to park features. Like, take home the park benches, but down trees for fire-wood, harvest the sod, etc.... Was such terms ever meant to apply to fumble fingers losses like coins and jewelry ? Probably not. COULD THEY? Sure ! Just ask enough desk-bound pencil pushing lawyers with this "pressing question", and you can always fetch a silly answer like this.

Sometimes I think we md'rs can be our own worst enemy.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the Merc.

It's hard to tell if that spinner ring is tungsten or stainless steel, but regardless I'd be happy to find it.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bahahaha...

I JUST now realised that the whole "Mercury" Dime thing had to do with the God Mercury's face on it... I've been thinking it had to do with the element mercury being an alloy with silver like gold amalgam... Every time someone posts they found a Mercury I'm going in my head, "Is that safe??? No wonder they stopped minting them!"

Hahaha... :tongue3:

Had to share that little moment of A-HA!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been going for a while. I'm familiar with the grounds keepers, so I'm find there. I'm going to go back there tomorrow. Is there any part of the trail I should try first?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bahahaha...

I JUST now realised that the whole "Mercury" Dime thing had to do with the God Mercury's face on it... I've been thinking it had to do with the element mercury being an alloy with silver like gold amalgam... Every time someone posts they found a Mercury I'm going in my head, "Is that safe??? No wonder they stopped minting them!"

Hahaha... :tongue3:

Had to share that little moment of A-HA!

Actually it is Lady Liberty with a winged hat which was supposed to signify freedom of thought. Enough people thought it looked like Mercury and the name stuck.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Congrats! Silver always makes it nice. Tungsten ring is cool too! There is the Webelos neckerchief slide for the Cub Scouts that were moving up to Boy Scouts, Kind of an in-between. Plenty of clad for the upgrade bank.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, Congrats! Silver always makes it nice. Tungsten ring is cool too! There is the Webelos neckerchief slide for the Cub Scouts that were moving up to Boy Scouts, Kind of an in-between. Plenty of clad for the upgrade bank.

Do you think that's what that is? That would make sense. Looks like it would clasp on the handkerchief they wear around their neck.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Man, was you digging around storyland 'cause it sure looks like that dime I lost back in '64! LOL!!!

Always loved City Park. The museum and the impromptu concerts in the summer by some of the local bands back in the 1960s!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think that's what that is? That would make sense. Looks like it would clasp on the handkerchief they wear around their neck.

Because it has metal tabs, I'd say no.

You would only be able to bend it a few times, and those tabs would break off.

The woggles that were used in the scouts were usually leather and had a snap button on them.

Woggle.jpg

Yours looks more like it would attach to something via slots, and those tabs would hold it into place.....think a moniker on a toy or something like that.

Of course that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because it has metal tabs, I'd say no.

You would only be able to bend it a few times, and those tabs would break off.

The woggles that were used in the scouts were usually leather and had a snap button on them.

View attachment 1428072

Yours looks more like it would attach to something via slots, and those tabs would hold it into place.....think a moniker on a toy or something like that.

Of course that's just my opinion.

I happily except your opinion

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread