All Treasure Hunting
Also how old do you think that ring could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of the 13 pieces of silver jewelry I found last season, two were unmarked.

Those acid test kits really do work. For suspected silver, I put a good scratching on the test stone and use the 18k gold test solution. If it's silver the scratching turns a very bright and pretty blue. If it's not, the scratching will disolve.

That's a great find there in the picture. I'd tend to lean silver or white gold. I can't believe it would be junk.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like silver and the cameo ring looks to be 1850 to 1880. Just a guess though. Very cool find.
Portrait cameo's that are painted or carved with a straight nose are usually the Victorian Era; and strong roman noses are pre-1860's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yeahboiantiques

Mar 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the 13 pieces of silver jewelry I found last season, two were unmarked.

Those acid test kits really do work. For suspected silver, I put a good scratching on the test stone and use the 18k gold test solution. If it's silver the scratching turns a very bright and pretty blue. If it's not, the scratching will disolve.

That's a great find there in the picture. I'd tend to lean silver or white gold. I can't believe it would be junk.

I tend to find a lot of "junk" jewelry but it just looks too well made so I'm very unsure how to do research on it and I'm not sure if it's anything special Haha

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of your older silver jewelry..especially handmade pieces, were not always marked.

Rings get resized, and sometimes where they cut it out to add more gold, the stamp was there.

Some jewelers re-stamp, some don't.

OP
OP
Y

yeahboiantiques

Mar 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of your older silver jewelry..especially handmade pieces, were not always marked.

Rings get resized, and sometimes where they cut it out to add more gold, the stamp was there.

Some jewelers re-stamp, some don't.

Guys I've also found this IMG_7351.JPG
Also no markings

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys I've also found this Also no markings

Well, I think it is time for you to go to Amazon or elsewhere and pick up a gold & silver test kit. They're cheap, so why not? You need to know what you've found and feel the delight of knowing what you have found. You posted another find which made me salivate!

OP
OP
Y

yeahboiantiques

Mar 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think it is time for you to go to Amazon or elsewhere and pick up a gold & silver test kit. They're cheap, so why not? You need to know what you've found and feel the delight of knowing what you have found. You posted another find which made me salivate!

I definitely will! Any idea on what the second find I sent is? I'm so eager to gain knowledge!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread