Newbie needs help purchasing first MD

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
Just let me start out by saying I have followed a lot of the posts on this site for quite a while and am ready to get swinging!! (that sounds kinda funny but o well) ;D
I am in need of help purchasing my first MD. I live in Rock Hill S.C and live near where the battle of Hucks Defeat took place. I am interested in relic hunting as well as coin hunting. The soil conditions are how should I say? RED CLAY ALL OVER. I have looked at whites dfx but I'm woried about 2 things, price and price. I like the simplicity of the dfx, kind of like a plug and play showing pics of what the object may be and how deep it is, without having to immediately memorize tones coming from the MD to recognize whether or not it is junk or not. I also have an ulterior motive to get moving on buying one so fast - my dad. He is getting older and has a heart condition. Been back and forth to the doctor a lot lately and I thought this is a way for me to spend some good quality time with him. Thanks for any help you can provide.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and think you will find a lot of great answers on here. I also like the DFX but you and I are in the same boat. I had an old BH that I used for years and years and finally decided to try a little better machine. I ended up getting the the Ace 250...The price was right and heard a lot of good things about it. Well..the more I have used it the better I like it...but my budget was around 200 bucks...I will get another machine one day but for now I will stick with the 250. Some say it's a starter machine and a good buy for the price...but I will say that it is worth a lot more than 212 bucks and will do most anything the expensive machines will do...the one drawback is if you hunt the beach..It is fine on dry sand and does pretty well in the wet sand but you will play heck getting in the edge of the salt water...Good luck and hope you find one you like and most of all, spend all the time with your dad that you can...That is the best thing..period..HH

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I have been thought every detector I'll save you some time for a great beginner Minelab musketeer advantage beats all hands down, handels well on beaches too. goes deep and just plan well buit.At 350.00 you can't go wrong Best VLF on the market.

RD

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I'm from the area you are talking about. My mother was born just outside Greenwood and I grew up on the GA/SC border. All the dirt is red. The red is iron. I haven't metal detected there yet so I can't say what the conditions will do to a machine. I would say that the higher end machines like the DFX would probably handle them better but I'm not sure. Maybe somebody who hunts in your area or South Georgia will chime in about how well an Ace 250 handles the iron level. If there is no problem. You can get started for just over $200 and save your clad for a DFX and have your Ace for a back up.

You need to learn to understand sounds first anyway so there is no time lost.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread