OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I will do that when I get the repair kit from fmerg, as suggested by another T net member. It seems the kit he has designed should work fine.
John, let us know if you get that replacement ear!

Also, I think it would be a great thread starter. You could describe how you felt about it, what you had to do. That way we'd have a "How To" for those of us who go through this. The mods could pin it to the top and always be seen.

Keep the faith!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you hit the nail on the head, jadocs. I find myself always checking to make sure the bolt is tight and actually may be doing more harm than good.
Rubber washers or coil shaft connector worn down from repeatedly rotating and tightening the coil bolt, resulting in undue stress in the ears and finally breakage.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most detectors have rubber grommets/washers between the ears and the wand. This allows for the 'squeeze' to keep the coil in the right position while still allowing movement. They are usually inserted on either side of the wand. Often these washers fall out unnoticed when changing coil, or they dry out with age. Tightening the coil bolt without those washers is the primary reason for coil ear cracks. Check yours.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my stock coil for my exterra one of the coil ears broke off several years ago and I repaired it

I found a plastic block that was kind of a c shaped channel cut one side off of the channel and shaped it to fit with a drimmel tool and used a two part 3M epoxy and glued it on that was about 6 or 7 years ago and its still holding today not pretty but I have been able to use it with no other issues

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend