Best pump for recovering coins in rock/sand mix 6ft underwater

Azurean88

Mar 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!, I'm new here but very excited to find this forum!
I'm on Long Island NY so not your typical open gold panning terrain as many of you..

I have several lake sites locally however, where coins were tossed over decades, certainly jewelry/rings/chains lost...
It's a small very active swimming hole since 1923...sandy bottom 6ft under, dammed surface with water overflow to another ponding area..

Thousands of people day/night have swam in this 20x20ft area since the 1920's... The law of probability is someone lost something at some point since then.. My question is, from a novice level... What kind of affordable & portable power pump can i use that can suction the sand & around marble sized rocks to the surface to a sifter basket that i will be creating to sort through the material..

What would be my BEST option.. Planning on clamping the hose to a pole to use from land...

Thanks in advance!

Tommy

OP
OP
A

Azurean88

Mar 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly... A Trash Pump wouldn't do correct?? There's rocks, sand, & broken glass down there... Who sells portable & fairly affordable dredge pumps??

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm not sure if a trash pump could but if it could, you'd probably need a 5 hp pump and those things can shoot out an amazing amount of water with tremendous force. You would have a hard time containing the material without significant costs involved. I think anything lower than 5 hp wouldn't be able to pull water/muck on a long run. Gas pumps don't like lengthy hoses on the suction side, 20 to 25 feet is about it. If you go that route, make sure you have a stout stick....lol. Gas pumps will tolerate some solids but a constant flow of it will kill the impeller in short notice. As mentioned already, a dredge is the way to accomplish your goal.

OP
OP
A

Azurean88

Mar 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, my application would require a pump to sit on land & the hose guided by a hand held pole...Also would like to stay around the $500 to $700 price range.. But yes i will be sucking up lots of rocks & sand, so a trash pump i think would not last... Definitely a small dredge pump, any good suggestions as to what i should buy?

Thanks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Most Highbanker/Dredge Combinations would work and they can use a variety of pumps but I have a Honda Trash Pump hooked to mine. The problem is, will you be breaking any laws by using such a motorized machine? You need to check the laws, rules, prohibitions for what can and what cannot be used in the lakes there as waterways that hold fish, wildlife and other aquatic life and/or provide clean drinking water come under different laws, rules and prohibitions than other locations. This is not a "It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.” scenario where you might get off with a slap on the wrist. You could actually be ticked, fined and lose your' equipment! Hopefully, you would not lose your' vehicle but that is why you need to check the laws, rules and prohibitions.

Frank

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you go spending a lot of money, have you been in the water with a detector yet? If it is truly unhunted, then there should be good stuff in the shallow parts. If it's slim picking there then there is a chance someone has already cleaned out your spot. You might find a diver with a detector to check out the deep areas and team up with you.

OP
OP
A

Azurean88

Mar 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe the area is truly unhunted, i can be wrong but i hope not.. I right now got my eye on the Keene coin/relic hunting dredge..
The main problem is being in Long Island NY.. The laws for the machine might be a little stiff.. Was just gonna run it & hope for the best... Tell the cop i rented it to look for an engagement ring that my friend lost there & cross my fingers... Also wanted to use the machine to check the muck in boat launching ramps where people notoriously loose stuff.. Again the laws for using this are a gray area so hopefully i don't encounter an over-zealous rookie.. Thanks for the responses & ideas..

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id say go with a hand dredge but I guess you want to move more dirt than that can. I use one for gold prospecting. Made it for about 10 bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread