Last week, first Fugio, this week iron. At pro

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week after my second day in my entire life of metal detecting I found a Fugio. Second metal detecting outing in my life, first coin dug. After a start like that I expected things to be a bit slower. My question is, I'm using my Garrett AT pro and my wife and I went hunting today, and found a lot of iron hits in the normal range. Back in my front yard where I found the first coin I'm getting iron hits that read 75 to 80 on my ATpro. There are electrical wires around so I do have my sensitivity low and I constantly ground balance. Can anyone help me explain what I'm doing wrong or why iron is hitting at such a high number? I am switching between standard and pro mode to see if the signal changes. Thank you for any help I do receive and good luck to all

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big iron will fool most detectors as well as rusty round iron....round iron is tricky to figure out but with more experience you'll get it.....big iron blasts your ear drums out. Haven't used my PRO in a while but in Pro mode, I think if you pull the coil back off the target you will hear the good tone turn into an iron buzz right before the coil is totally off the target.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome.....also there's nothing wrong with digging "it all" and or getting all that big iron out of that area, big iron will mask good targets....who knows what else you may find hiding in your yard.....congrats on that coin as well....i would post a picture of it in Today's Finds forum and show it off!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome.....also there's nothing wrong with digging "it all" and or getting all that big iron out of that area, big iron will mask good targets....who knows what else you may find hiding in your yard.....congrats on that coin as well....i would post a picture of it in Today's Finds forum and show it off!

Good advice and I agree you need to clean out the iron to unmask the good stuff. In pro mode the ATP has proportionate audio which helps you determine the size of the target. Takes a little time but you will soon learn to hear the difference. Good luck!!

HH, RN

rotty23

Nov 9, 2005
Greer SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab quattro and AT Pro
If I remember correctly if you think that the power lines are interfering you have 3 or 4 frequencies to choose from. Here is a pic from the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big iron will always sound good. Try checking the signal from all angles. Using the front tip of the coil, try to find the edges of the target in a circle. If the imaginary circle you are tracing with the tip of the coil is a large pattern its probably a large iron target like horse shoe. If the circle is small and tight, its probably a good target.

Search for an AT Pro VDI Target list. Print it out and start memorizing it.

Also dont be afraid to dig 50s and 60s signals. Once you pop the plug the number a lot of times gets higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions