Telling the Story? How to Approach and Ask Permission ???

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question. How would you ask permission to MD on someone's land that they own, but is at another location form their house. Would you ask in person or over the phone?

In both cases it's a bit odd to say, "Hey I looked up this land in a GIS database and know that you're the own. Can I MD on it?" That might come across as a privacy issue etc.

In addition, does anyone have any specific strategies when it comes to asking permission from those more senior in age (all respect intended)? Do you share information about the site? It's history or potential finds? Or is the less said the better?

In case it shows, I've not made many MD permission requests as of yet. Any advice is well welcomed. :hello:

Last edited:

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get some cards made up. Vista print is where I've made them in the past.

I've had had success with permissions by just going and knocking.

Now I knew at this too.. but understand it's going to be yes or no. And that's it.

You can also take pictures on your phone or print them out of small targeted holes you dig. Trash you take with you so they build confidence.

If it fails keep trying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch out for vistaprint. They did the old bait and switch thing on me. I get my cards made at Staples for about 1/3 what local print shops charge.

You can always say that you asked a local and he told you who the owner was.
Personally, I do the hobby for fun and have always given the homeowner the value in cash of the coins that I find. It helps that I haven't found anything earth shattering on private permissions. Yet.

Show up in person. Dress casual but clean/nice. Be respectful. Explain how you will care for their land as much as they do. Thank them for their time if they say no, and try to leave your card with them emphasizing that if they know anyone you can help find a lost item (for free of course), that youd be glad to help.

OP
OP
xhunterx

xhunterx

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Detector(s) used
F22
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions! I was also more curious about the amount of information about the potential site that you share with the owner. Any thoughts?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
imo, most folks have an idea if another home preceded theirs on the land or that they know the approx age of their home. Talking about that shouldn't change anyone's mind. I sure wouldn't build up any hopes that old forgotten riches may be found. You're probably going to have to do some 'splainin anyway about how BS the tv metal detecting shows are to get the permission.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Maybe a good thing would be an introduction letter first. Send it to the owner, explaining who you are, what you do, what you are looking for, who you know that they know, etc. Asking them to please respond via phone.
If you hear from them, either way, you'll have your answer. If it's a good answer, follow up with a personal visit.

Trust is the key, and it's something you need to build.

For example, the farm I own in PA has been in the family since the 1700's. A lot has transpired in that time. And a lot of folks before, during, and after have been there, and are there. If you are looking for arrow heads, civil war, or such I've got no problem, and I'll let the folks who watch over the place know about you being there. BUT, there are things you do not need to be looking for, things I and those who watch the place know about. Those places I'll tell you to avoid, because it's for your safety.
The last guy who I allowed to hunt deer on the property got turned around in the woods, and ended up where he shouldn't be. He ended up walking home, sans his gun, car keys, and wallet. It took some doing for me to get his stuff back.

You never know what you are walking into, if you go in without permission. And even if you do have permission, you need to follow the rules. At least in my part of the woods, there are folks out there you don't want to bump into. Especially if you don't belong there. Banjo players are your least worry.

Not trying to scare you, just facts. You want to hunt my property? Fine by me, just show me I can trust you.

Heck I'll do you one better. Type up an introduction letter and post it here. I'll be happy to tell you whether it would be something that would fly, or I would toss in the trash. Or maybe we can help you refine it to get you better results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread