What kind of plane is this?

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am posting this here because it isn't really a find and it is not a research picture. This is my father standing next to a jet he worked on in the Air Force in Iceland in either the late '50s or the early '60s. Just hoping to find out what kind of plane this was. Thanks.

Iceland 4.jpg

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have an answer but I bet if you tried Wikipedia you could find US aircraft by period of time in use. I am sure there are pics but might be tough to identify with only a front view. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I do believe that is it. Because of how those "pods" on the wing tips looked, I thought those were the engines. Had a hard time finding any planes with the engines that far out on the wings. Thanks much for all the help. My dad's memory is not exactly what it was 50 years ago so he couldn't come up with it. I knew that someone here would know it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I do believe that is it. Because of how those "pods" on the wing tips looked, I thought those were the engines. Had a hard time finding any planes with the engines that far out on the wings. Thanks much for all the help. My dad's memory is not exactly what it was 50 years ago so he couldn't come up with it. I knew that someone here would know it.

While the link I provided, states that those pods on the wing tips were nacelles which (is hard to believe) held 104 MK 4 "Mighty Mouse" Unguided Rockets, not all versions of the F-89 were outfitted with the MK 4 Rockets. On some versions, the aircraft were fitted with removable fuel tanks on the wing tips. Considering that your' Dad was stationed with the Air Force in Iceland, it is highly likely that the pods on the F-89 in the pic, housed MK 4 Rockets.

Frank

khestee

Sep 15, 2016
Sandhills of NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is an F-89 Scorpion Interceptor just as Huntsman53 said. f-89.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
It's interesting that the elevators were placed that high on the tail section. Kind of unusual in that day.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was a Jet engine mechanic on the F-89 Scorpion while he was in the Air Force.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What surprised me was that some of them were fitted with AIR-2 Genie nuclear rockets with 1.5 kiloton warheads. I am sure that one of those in the wrong place could ruin your whole day. I think that I am going to try a build my dad a model of an F-89 for his birthday in May.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It's interesting that the elevators were placed that high on the tail section. Kind of unusual in that day.

The Horizontal Stabilizer was moved half-way up the Vertical Stabilizer from it's original position on the Proto-Type. It was found that in the normal position, the Horizontal Stabilizer was affected by the exhaust from the engines and would be "blanked out" by airflow from the wings at high angles of attack but it was also found that since it was mounted flush with the leading edge of the Vertical Stabilizer, this caused problems with drag during turbulence and also reduced the effectiveness of the elevators and rudders. (this re-typed from Wikipedia)

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread