Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to try and look at some property maps and see if I can find out if it is private. If it is private I will try and get a contact to call, I would assume that the owners no longer live nearby so a phone call would be necessary.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
20 years. Twenty years is a magic number in the law pertaining to trespass and right of way. If a trail is established and used for 20 years without the property owner, including governments, then they can be sued for establishment of right of way. This doesn't give rights to usage of the land through which the trail passes but even that has been upheld in court for specific limited use. A property owner has the obligation to identify, protect and impede the access and use of their property from the public. The law says that the public must be 'notified' of any restrictions. That's what no trespass signs are for. That's what private property signs are for. That's what fences are for. All these are legal notices of private property and the owners wishes. As a property owner you cannot assume that the public knows the boundaries of your property. You must give 'notice'.

According to Google Earth satellites, the trails appeared in the past 15 years or so.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't matter if there is a trail or a fence or a sign. All that goes out the window when you enter private property with the intent to search for and take for yourself things of value. That's theft of private property - not trespassing and not destruction of property - theft.

If you somehow think you can claim you entered private property with a searching machine but you only intended to take things of no value the judge will dislike you for considering him a fool. You really don't want to fool with the judge when you are answering a trespass/theft charge.

The fact of the matter is when it comes to property and the law nothing has changed - if it ain't yours you need written permission to have it. Talk of public trails, trespassing and abandoned/repossessed are just weasel words when your intent is to find buried objects of value in a place you don't own and don't have permission to be. The issue is not how to cut the perfect divot or how to detect at night the issue is taking something of value without permission. This is kindergarten level morals.

And that is why some people in some areas have taken a dislike to metal detectorists. Not because honest metal detectorists ask permission before beeping. It's the metal detectorists that just take without asking that PO the locals. Can you blame them for wanting to ban a hobby that won't police itself?

If people want to keep metal detecting a public and respected hobby they need to act with respect for the people who own or manage the property they want to detect. Simple enough?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't matter if there is a trail or a fence or a sign. All that goes out the window when you enter private property with the intent to search for and take for yourself things of value. That's theft of private property - not trespassing and not destruction of property - theft.

If you somehow think you can claim you entered private property with a searching machine but you only intended to take things of no value the judge will dislike you for considering him a fool. You really don't want to fool with the judge when you are answering a trespass/theft charge.

The fact of the matter is when it comes to property and the law nothing has changed - if it ain't yours you need written permission to have it. Talk of public trails, trespassing and abandoned/repossessed are just weasel words when your intent is to find buried objects of value in a place you don't own and don't have permission to be. The issue is not how to cut the perfect divot or how to detect at night the issue is taking something of value without permission. This is kindergarten level morals.

And that is why some people in some areas have taken a dislike to metal detectorists. Not because honest metal detectorists ask permission before beeping. It's the metal detectorists that just take without asking that PO the locals. Can you blame them for wanting to ban a hobby that won't police itself?

If people want to keep metal detecting a public and respected hobby they need to act with respect for the people who own or manage the property they want to detect. Simple enough?

Thank you for the response. When you put it in that perspective it becomes a little more clear to me. I guess when you are on private property taking stuff out of the ground falls under the same category under the law as taking stuff out of the house, either way the items are on the property. I will get written permission and talk to the town before I metal detect there.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed another, currently inhabited, house very close by (around 175 feet away from the abandoned house). The trail is farther away than I thought, according to the Google Earth path measure, the trail is around 250 feet from the house, or around .05 miles. I am very certain that the trail system is public, having looked it up and seeing it listed as popular hiking trails. Which department should I ask about the abandoned house?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed another, currently inhabited, house very close by (around 175 feet away from the abandoned house). The trail is farther away than I thought, according to the Google Earth path measure, the trail is around 250 feet from the house, or around .05 miles. I am very certain that the trail system is public, having looked it up and seeing it listed as popular hiking trails. Which department should I ask about the abandoned house?

If its public property you don't have to ask anyone (assuming no law to the contrary). If its privately owned, ask the owner.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to Zillow to see if it was sold anytime recently. They have a map showing each property and it's estimate and information. Even a friend's farm that he bought in the mid 1980's shows up on that map. The abandoned house in question doesn't show up as a property, but a blank space in between two properties.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judgement call, I detect what I consider to be abandoned property all the time.

I rarely will cross a barrier, even a tape line, I won't hop a fence, and if its posted "No Trespassing", I move on.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to Zillow to see if it was sold anytime recently. They have a map showing each property and it's estimate and information. Even a friend's farm that he bought in the mid 1980's shows up on that map. The abandoned house in question doesn't show up as a property, but a blank space in between two properties.

It will be on file with your county tax assessor. Many are online as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

then it's either on an abandoned road or street
from when the original town was layed out.

Example

example.jpg

Or the Property Lines are not Spot on.
property Books & websites are Not 100% accurate.
it may be on one of the neighboring properties.
This is why when someone purchases a Property a Lawyer & deed Search is Needed .

I don't like to Argue but there are indeed Abandoned Properties.
At least here in PA. Occasionally I read about a Town trying to find the Owner of Dilapidated Properties
to Force them to tear them down. occasionally they Find there is no Living Person & No Tax Records.
At that point the Local Government has to jump through Hoops to get Possession in order to remove them.

However Just because you think a property is abandoned doesn't mean it is.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with # 49. The police will not waste their time, hanging around abandoned houses. Go for it. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
then it's either on an abandoned road or street
from when the original town was layed out.

Example

View attachment 1445622

Or the Property Lines are not Spot on.
property Books & websites are Not 100% accurate.
it may be on one of the neighboring properties.
This is why when someone purchases a Property a Lawyer & deed Search is Needed .

I don't like to Argue but there are indeed Abandoned Properties.
At least here in PA. Occasionally I read about a Town trying to find the Owner of Dilapidated Properties
to Force them to tear them down. occasionally they Find there is no Living Person & No Tax Records.
At that point the Local Government has to jump through Hoops to get Possession in order to remove them.

However Just because you think a property is abandoned doesn't mean it is.

What website do you use to find that data? I have a hard time finding property data for some towns.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Judgement call, I detect what I consider to be abandoned property all the time.

I rarely will cross a barrier, even a tape line, I won't hop a fence, and if its posted "No Trespassing", I move on.

Trouble is, prevailing (and yes, technically correct) view is that NO MATTER how remote, abandoned, vacant, etc.... "Someone still owns it ".

Never mind that they might live in another state. Never mind that it's not fenced or posted. Never mind that the place is routinely traversed as an innocuous walk trail. Bottom line is: you must seek out the owner. Oh well. It is a family friendly forum after all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What website do you use to find that data? I have a hard time finding property data for some towns.

that is my County Tax Site.

Google your County Name & the words GIS & see if there is a Free tax site online

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The only photo I had of the property was one of those Google Earth thumbnails uploaded by a user titled "Abandoned House". The thumbnail was over five years old. I decided to look through the satellites of the property on Google Earth and noticed something interesting. I was looking at the wrong place. The thumbnail was referring to the property on the other side of the road. The real property can not be seen in summer satellite images, and looks like it is in a wild jungle.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The original house did not show up on Zillow due apparently just being built in the past ten years, with no data being known before it. The abandoned property shows up on Zillow, not for sale, but it mentions taxes paid for the land in 2016 (less than $1000 dollars). So I guess it is sadly private, it is a shame to see a beautiful colonial house like that in such bad condition, I wish they could try and restore it (even though that would be extremely pricey and illogical).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the availability of Online Tax sites that is now My 1st. Go to.

without Tax site info,

I 1st look for Trespassing signs for a Signature.

Then Google them.

If there is no sign

The closest house for Info
If they don't know or say they live in another state , I explain to them why I asked And
what they think.

or who the grounds keeper is, if the grass is mowed.
sometimes the closest nosey neighbor is in charge.
and gives the go ahead.

I've also gone to the post office to ask what they know.

the fire company

and police their knowledge and opinion on unposted abandoned properties .

occasionally I have gotten the go ahead from them.

and since the neighbor is the one most likely to see me.
and the police are the ones who would show up if reported,
a go ahead from either one is as good and faster then hiring a real estate lawyer :laughing7:

I'm not giving legal advice here , just ways I've gained permission for empty places.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the availability of Online Tax sites that is now My 1st. Go to.

without Tax site info,

I 1st look for Trespassing signs for a Signature.

Then Google them.

If there is no sign

The closest house for Info
If they don't know or say they live in another state , I explain to them why I asked And
what they think.

or who the grounds keeper is, if the grass is mowed.
sometimes the closest nosey neighbor is in charge.
and gives the go ahead.

I've also gone to the post office to ask what they know.

the fire company

and police their knowledge and opinion on unposted abandoned properties .

occasionally I have gotten the go ahead from them.

and since the neighbor is the one most likely to see me.
and the police are the ones who would show up if reported,
a go ahead from either one is as good and faster then hiring a real estate lawyer :laughing7:

I'm not giving legal advice here , just ways I've gained permission for empty places.
That's called the old fashioned way......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread