Looking for advice on a new metal detector.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very hard question to answer Mississippi, so much depends. What type of hunting, or what you might be more after, price willing to spend, learning curve willing to take on, how long have you been detecting, age, and upgrade from what? So much depends. All three brands you listed are Great Brands to own, but as it stands, a hard question to answer.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you are up against. Try to visit a shop where you can hold and try each of the units you're interested in or contact any of the shops supported on TNet because they will give you exceptional help in making your decision!

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried Minelab or XP but the AT series are excellent machines, I use an AT Gold. They aren't too complicated for beginners, can be dropped in the water and rained on and covered in crud. The Max is untested but if its as good quality as the Pro and Gold then it will be an awesome machine. My opinion would be to consider the features of the three AT options, they are all slightly different. XP and some Minelabs will be great too, but may be harder to learn on. You want something that will be fun, and a good deal. Don't forget a pinpointer and digging tool should also be budgeted for! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
M
Apr 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett AT Pro as of right now. I mainly detect for Civil War relics and also coins. I have been detecting for around 4 years. I've been doing research on Civil War in my area for longer than that though.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all good choices, whites might be a consideration as well

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett AT Pro as of right now. I mainly detect for Civil War relics and also coins. I have been detecting for around 4 years. I've been doing research on Civil War in my area for longer than that though.

In my hurry to get to work this morning I got the wrong impression from your post! I thought you were new to detecting for some reason, my mistake! :tongue3:

I watched an Aquachigger video he just made with KG and Ringy from Diggers, they were all using the Max. It seemed like an updated AT Pro with features from the Gold. I guess it would be nice if you like the Pro and want new stuff. I have been hearing great things about the Deus for relics though. The Hoosier Boys use a Deus if you haven't seen it in action yet. For myself, I'm more into tone quality first, then Target ID second, the not so fancy display of my Gold doesn't bug me. The Iron Audio feature Garrett has is wonderful, plus iron discrimination in all metal. I would check out those YouTube videos and see what you think.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're looking to keep the ATP and proceed to an upgraded class of machines, I'm thinking (though I've never used one) that the XP may be easier to learn than the CTX - if you're focused on getting into the guts of the computer you have in your hands. I knew my CTX had complexities I hadn't explored, but had no idea how much until I attended the Andy Sabisch FBS boot camp.

Basically I used mine as a beep & dig machine just listening to the sounds from the boot up screen, I'm still a sound guy. Really, from the time that I put in with the CTX I feel like I did very well.

So with just the simplicity of just turning it on and digging - that makes the CTX just about as easy to use as the ATP.

I've also hunted along side an XP, an old TNet member who passed away this Winter - Meteor Man. He'd been detecting since the 50's, so he understood the basics. And of course I'm a lot slower than anyone else I hunted with, so everyone else always kicks my butt. But I'm methodical, doing my own thing and not minding the butt kicking I receive :)

I guess in my evolution with the CTX taking just the simple approach just actually identifies the basics of metal detecting = there's no pleasure in the world like a solid signal in two directions! Simple as that!

So, really just do what feels simple to you, is based on what you've learned so far, and certainly suits your curiosity. I've always believed in knowing what's out there and the capabilities there of. Do you want to stay in the Garrett family? You'll do well there, always competitive. But does your curiosity demand to know everything else outside the realm you're used to?

Keep the faith in whatever you choose. As long as you enjoy the hobby all is well.

But, another point. I think I've owned about 19 machines now since '81. That was a whole lot of money I've spent over the years. I don't think I'll ever get repaid that by the treasures I find. I was carried away by the curiosity I was absolutely enjoying.

Plan your life better than I did!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out the XP Deus and how it performs on YouTube. Lightweight and great on relics.
Best of luck on your choice.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Max is too new, personally I think Garrett is just riding the coat tails of the AT line that has made a good name for its self. If you wanted to stay in the AT line then go Gold, if you wanted to stay Garrett then GTI 2500, plus the GTI 2500 with the new Nel Thunder Coil is killer, Nel really under states its abilities, but I think they do that based on an average Operator level. The GTI is pretty versatile as well, slap a Mars Shaft on that and your AT Pro, once in storage size the two take up less space that one does extended out. Carry both around in your ride and hunt as you see it, instead of waiting until you have you machine.

I can not speak about Deus, know very little about it, see a few try to keep up with the CTX 3030 that has a Coiltek, but I am pretty sure it was the operators.

CTX 3030 I enjoy a great deal, but it is not for everyone, it does have a learning curve. I am a big Minelab fan though, and if you ask me there is more than enough Minelab Snobs around and you can go read their thoughts on their Minelab.

There is a user on here that goes by Terry Solomon; dude sent me some info long while back on some Fisher products, it nearly talked me into getting one, but I stuck with my bias feelings of course. LOL Point is, both my kids been waiting for Garrett to say what this new machine is, my son is ready to buy, but it could be a cow pie on a stick with a Garrett sticker and he would take it as an upgrade to his ATPi, what can I say, he is nearly 14. Daughter however she has been on the AT Gold, she is not happy with Garretts new machine, I pointed her in the direction of Fisher and she is leaning that direction now.

Just my thoughts man, what ever you get I hope you purchase based on true measured specs and after reading several operator reviews.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I travel to many states along the east coast to hunt with other great people (Tnet members) who have honed their detecting skills over the years. They swing the CTX 3030 or XP Deus predominately. I have an XP Deus and it finds the goods, yet I am still attached to my F75LTD since I have 3 years experience with it and am very confident with it's use. I take the Deus out at 19th century sites, still trying to bond with it and it's settings. When I went to a hunt in Pennsylvania last year I met over 150 fellow MDers, many celebs in the hobby/obsession. The consensus I took away is the CTX is the best coin shooter, bar none and is also a great beach machine. The Deus is the best relic hunter of the two, it's ultra light, offers more user input into how it reacts, can be ran in four distinct frequencies, and is wireless. Take the detectors you are interested and the flagship detectors of all the big brands. Review their specs, look at their screens to see how the info is displayed. Watch some videos of each. What sounds do you want to hear. I have hesitated in getting an FBS technology detector due to it's Bwoop-Bwoop sound, just as I am not a fan of the Tesoro single tone.

Just so you know I am a coin shooter in Ohio where the older coins are between 5" to 10" deep. I like to see Target ID numbers on the screen and normally hunt in 3 tones, where I disc out the lower iron signals. I have 4 coils and ain't afraid to use them. I have swung 10 different VLF detectors, yet never swung a Garrett, Minelab, Nokta, nor Makro.

Good Luck in whatever you choose.

OP
OP
M
Apr 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the XP Deus WS4 be a good option if I didn't want to purchase the whole bundle right now?

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to metal detecting by metal detectors. But understand analytical instruments, procedures, and programs. The Deus has been my first detector and I find it has serious performance with serious versatility. A sweet combination. The firmware 4.0 just came out and kicked the instruments capability up a notch in what it can do better, X-Y screens among other items of increased performance.

The ATP seems like a given, if one is first starting out. It has what most would want in performance.

A Deus would be a true step up. The CTX I've heard is another highly experienced detectorist favorite.

You seem to be looking at models that others enjoy their perforance. Which one is right for you at this time is a good problem to solve.

I see your choice as a win-win, can't make a mistake. It seems primarily a preference to which appeals to your way of analytical thinking and adapting to how these nice detectors operate and to their specific parameters and custom programming.

Last edited:

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would want the remote, since it is what controls the ability to derive custom programs fit for your specific detecting targets and environmental conditions.

Ask for quotes from TN sponsers. They have some good deals to consider.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you've picked 3 different machines, so that will make it even harder to decide.

I know that there are concerns about using a first model machine, but quite frankly it wouldn't bother me one bit to go from an AT Pro to an AT Max.

The componentry of the two machines are quite similar (well 3 if you count the AT Gold), but with some nicely added features.

I moved from the AT Pro to the CTX 3030 because of the amazing finds somebody I know continually comes up with. Granted he puts in more hunt time than anybody I have ever heard of, but the finds still won me over.

I don't know if it's beginners luck, location, or the machine, but I've found 9-10 silver coins already this year and I haven't even figured out the CTX yet.

The AT models are plug and go, and quite frankly that's all that a huge percentage of users that I know of are interested in.

If you want to stay within the same family and (box) if you will, then the Max is a definite looker.

If you want to step outside the box, then either the XP or the 3030 is something I would consider.

The 3030 is a heavier machine (as the first main point of difference), so consider that as well.

I don't find the weight to be too bad (yes heavier than the AT Pro), but it balances out nicely so it's not too bad. I can still manage an 8 hour hunt and then hit it again the next day, but the second day sees me taking a few more breaks to rest the arm. LOL......

I haven't used the Deus but I know of a couple people who do, and their finds are pretty spectacular too.

Location is obviously key to your success, so if you are only hunting schoolyards or soccer fields..........I don't know if I would spend the big bucks on a technically superior machine.

Just my opinion, others may have a different spin on schoolyards and soccer fields.

Let us know how you get on.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are the pics of the XP Deus. I had to print the user's manual from online and I will also include the Andy Sabisch Book.
20170510_181306.jpg 20170510_181327.jpg 20170510_181333.jpg 20170510_181357.jpg 20170510_181401.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions