Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all....

Have my 17 y/o living here now and a 14 & 10 y/o staying for the weekend (all male). Told all 3 last night to pick a "project" to do in the wood shop tomorrow of their choosing. Two of them chose a boat based upon their design. The 10 y/o said... "I want a sword....!"

I told them all I'll help with cutting, routeing, and help and do what they wanted done unless I said it was ok for them to do. Blake (10 y/o) hung with me quickly. Ol' Blake wanted the large wooden sword. So while I was helping the others with cuts I chiseled away at Blake's sword with Blake watching.

After about an hour Ol' Blake's wooden sword was making progress. While... the other 2 boys were gluing, stapling and designing their boats we kept going forward with the sword.

Soon the 17 & 14 y/o were heading to the swimming pool for a tryout with their new boats...? Blake and I stuck to the wooden sword. Seems the boats didn't "exactly" work out as engineered...? But Blake's sword turned out GREAT! "Grandpa... this is the best thing you EVER built me" (say's Blake)...! Soon the other 2 turned to sword "making".

Here's the point.... Those 3 boys and I spent all day "engineering" projects. Then we fired off 400 rounds of .22 ammo from 25 - 50 yds. Then they swam for 1.5 hours in the pool and then came in to a huge steak supper I fixed. That makes it one great SPECIAL day for me and for any other Grandpa who does / can do the same.

I did have a blessed day.... Brad

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ,somebody has to corrupt them......:laughing7:

A day well spent Gramps. Congrats!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great!!! Any thing to make them use their brains is outstanding. Some day they will cherish the time with you. I grew up in a wood shop and it made me who I am today. It taught me to be a problem solver and pay attention to detail. Many life lessons can come from "hands on". Too many people today allow the TV and telephone to raise their kids. Hat's off to you and. "Making memories"

HH, RN

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly a memorable golden day!
Grandpa of the year award!
Well done!
That they will be telling to their own kids some day.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You missed a great opportunity to make brooms..............just think of how clean that shop and garage could have been! Hahahahaha.......

Just kidding, sounds like a fantastic day!

Nothing wrong with building swords, boats and memories!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Day! Any time you can get the grandkids away from the electronics for a good day of fun and or learning with fun is just much more special. Seems they get so distracted with indoor stuff that they forget the fun things that so many of us enjoyed growing up. Plus, you got the time with just them. Hope that you more of those days as they are things that they future are built of. I memories of talking with my grandfather for hours about everything from school to being a doctor and handyman work around the house. Those are the things they always enjoy and you get to see them having fun.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a wonderful day. Keeping those boys busy, occupied, and involved, is how you keep them out of trouble.
Well done and congrats on being a real grandpa.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You missed a great opportunity to make brooms..............just think of how clean that shop and garage could have been! Hahahahaha.......

Just kidding, sounds like a fantastic day!

Nothing wrong with building swords, boats and memories!

Ok bud.... who do you think cleaned up all those 100's of shell casing and sawdust before they got INTO the pool...? They did great on the cleanup and we made fun out of it!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok bud.... who do you think cleaned up all those 100's of shell casing and sawdust before they got INTO the pool...? They did great on the cleanup and we made fun out of it!

LOVE IT!!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread