Old School Gillette Aristocrat Close Shave.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. I recently got into using an old 1948-1950 Gillette Aristocrat double edged razor to shave with. I was just curious if anyone else goes old school wet shaving on the T-net? I am not even sure where I got the old Gillette razor but, it sure gets my face as smooth as a babies backside. I guess I just have an appreciation for the way things used to be and the quality of thought and engineering that went into manufacturing USA made products. My Aristocrat has lost some of it's gold plating but, it hasn't lost it's ability to perform the task it was designed to do nearly 67 years ago. How cool is that? Like they say, "They don't make them like they used to." Kurios1

004.JPG

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple of the stainless versions. Been using them since i started shaving. Blades last a long time especially since i only shave around my beard. i don't remember the last time i bought blades, if they do get dull turn them over.

tracker_usmc

Oct 4, 2011
Lincoln,CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love wet shaving! You get a better shave and spend way less money on razors and shaving soap. I'm getting ready to buy more razors, it's been over a year since I bought razors or shaving soap. I can probably go another year or so without buying shaving soap lol!! Here is my shaving gear, nothing fancy. Your vintage Gillette is awesome!

IMG_0305.JPG

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Your Aristocrat sure is a nice shave. It was built that way. By the way yours has a value of $120 in it's current condition. If it were new and in the box you can look at $250 easy. My father worked for Gillette for 32 years here in South Boston. I had a very impressive collection at one time myself. Enjoy. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love wet shaving! You get a better shave and spend way less money on razors and shaving soap. I'm getting ready to buy more razors, it's been over a year since I bought razors or shaving soap. I can probably go another year or so without buying shaving soap lol!! Here is my shaving gear, nothing fancy. Your vintage Gillette is awesome!

View attachment 1455762

Yeah baby! Nice looking collection of tools mate. I have a similar if not the same razor brush stand. I am currently looking at a few other old Gillette adjustable razors on fleabay. I do enjoy the "ritual" aspect of wet shaving. It's kind of another form of therapy for de-stressing. Darn fun actually. Ya' don't need fancy to get a great shave. Looks like you're set up fine. Thanks for the reply and picture of your stuff. BTW, your sink countertop looks like it was cleaned by a Marine.:icon_salut: My father was a Marine and he spent the night at my place once and when I went to inspect his bedding you could flip a quarter off the bed and it would bounce. My sink area is a cluttered nightmare of recoveries and various other stuff. Much appreciated. Kurios1 Semper Fi.

013.JPG

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Still using mine after figuring out the plastic razors were designed to clog up. While traveling didn't have a decent blade & bought a pack at the 99 cent store. Couldn't believe 5 for 99 cent blades were better than ANY disposable & almost as good as the name brands!

In the old days, everyone used the flanges for the metal medicine cabinet shelves as disposal receptacles for their blades. Used to do a lot of house searches and very seldom found any where the wall wasn't a foot or so deep with blades between the studs.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Still using mine after figuring out the plastic razors were designed to clog up. While traveling didn't have a decent blade & bought a pack at the 99 cent store. Couldn't believe 5 for 99 cent blades were better than ANY disposable & almost as good as the name brands!

In the old days, everyone used the flanges for the metal medicine cabinet shelves as disposal receptacles for their blades. Used to do a lot of house searches and very seldom found any where the wall wasn't a foot or so deep with blades between the studs.

I was talking with my dad the other day about using my DE razor and he mentioned throwing all his blades into the wall as well through our old medicine cabinet. I actually started viewing YouTube videos on guys shaving with DE razors. There are quite a few channels showing newbies how to go about it and I found it fascinating! LOL ! I know, my life must be pretty boring. Anyhow, it's a fun time lathering up and scraping off my whiskers with a 67 year old American Made Classic. Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread