DETECTORIST-BE WARNED-TICKS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I've pulled two deer ticks off me so far this year, so my streak is pretty lucky. Had 19 deer tick bites the first year I retired and returned home.

The doctor told me that if I developed a "ring" of rash around the bite, then I'd have trouble = Lyme....

Inspect yourself daily!!! My last bite was a very special area of my body I don't want to lose.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than 50% of people bitten by a tick carrying Lyme will end up with a Bull's Eye rash. The initial symptoms of Lyme are usually flu-like or a general feeling of malaise. A deer tick is about the size of a sesame seed. The nymph deer tick is about the size of a poppy seed and must have a blood meal in order to develop into an adult or it will die. They are found in/on trees, bushes, tall grasses, fallen leaves, tree/branch cuttings and especially where there is moisture.

The current ELISA test as mandated by the CDC misses 90%+ of Lyme infections as there are various types and they only test for a few. If you have it and are lucky enough that it actually does show up on the ELISA test, then you will be allowed to have a Western Blot test done which is more accurate. It still misses quite a few and doesn't test for all strains. The most common strain in the U.S. is Borellia burgdorferi but there are more and more are still being found. Lyme disease is never by itself as there are many co-infections with it such as babesia, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis and many others. Often these co-infections with Lyme require different medications and treatment modalities. Having Lyme diagnosed and treated immediately is your best hope for recovery! Imogex labs have the best and most accurate testing. Two to six weeks of Doxycycline 100mg. twice per day is recommended depending upon how fast you were diagnosed and only if you were diagnosed within the first 30 days. Please take this very seriously as Lyme Disease is extremely debilitating and can be fatal!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Follow simple rules of living in and around ticks. Tuck pant legs into socks, inspect clothing, legs, arms, and body regularly when out in the elements where ticks frequent. Border areas of paths, fields, roadsides, bush are the heaviest populated as they are opportunists and lay wait for a victim to come along and they'll attach themselves like a burr to you. Do a tick check every night, and that's looking and feeling EVERYWHERE! If you find one latched on and it's been there for less than 12-24 hrs just use a tick remover/tweezers then put an antiseptic on the entry spot. Had one latched onto the left ventricle of the neck last week, good catch by the wife. I know of a half dozen folks that have had and 3 that have no life because of Lyme Disease, so be careful.
Met up with a local yesterday and he said it was the first time in his life he had an attached tick, on his belly. He's outdoors all the time and around farm animals, but it while loading some lumber up in the back yard in the city, so they are everywhere.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've taken to spraying myself with tick repellent prior to going out into the weeds, sometimes forget. But I've not had one single tick on me when I use it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've taken to spraying myself with tick repellent prior to going out into the weeds, sometimes forget. But I've not had one single tick on me when I use it.

It's an option for most, but having chemical sensitivities for some it's not, unless it's made from essential oils.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may never go outside again.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to avoid the bush and woods once the bugs invade. I don't like to use the heavy chemical methods of bug sprays. I have used some essential oil concoctions and even Absorbine Junior to keep critters off me. Whatever works I guess but, I certainly don't want Lyme disease. I picked up a bottle of "Bug Soother" from my local Casey's General Store. I hope this stuff works. The Black Oak Flies this year have been chewing me up. I am sure the skeeters are coming enforce soon. Be safe folks.

002.JPG 003.JPG

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dectect in tall grass this time of year at all. I have to work outside and it drives me crazy looking for ticks every time we are in certain areas. We pick ticks off of each other after doing our work in areas that are infested. Permythien containing sprays work the best but I spray it on jump suit and take it off after coming out of the tall grass. I have heard vick's vapor rub is effective on your skin if you can stand the smell.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got back from 5 days in Wyoming. Treated my clothes with Permethrin, and used Picaridin on exposed skin...never saw a tick. Heidi, the heeler, got a tick and flea oral that lasts for 3 months, so she didn't have any either. All good.
jim

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Powassan Virus is even more dangerous than Lyme Disease. It is potentially fatal. Powassan virus differs in Lyme in that it can be transferred from a tick to a human in a matter of minutes. Unlike Lyme which is a bacteria, the Powassan is a virus so the options are much less to do anything about it. Two more cases reported in Maine have health officials on high alert as agencies across the nation brace for a particularly high-population tick season. So be careful out there and HH!

Powassan virus: Potentially fatal tick disease that can be transmitted in minutes reported in Maine | Fox News

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may never go outside again.

That isn't necessary Lol! Just be sure to take the right precautions is all.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I have seen many cases and help treat people who have chronic, Lyme Disease. It's one of the worst things I've dealt with! Many often go undiagnosed or even worse, misdiagnosed for years. The longer a person has had it, the more difficult it is to treat. This disease isn't just rampant in the U.S. but worldwide and only getting worse! So better safe than sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread