OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Best state in the whole damn Union.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the mosquitoes weren't so bad today so I gave it a go. Cleared some smaller trees and roots surrounding the stump, dug about 1.5 feet, and pulled out some huge rocks. Still getting beeps, but found nothing yet. There are some more beeps just south of the hole I dug, so maybe I'm just in the wrong spot. Considering investing in a pinpointer right about now... I'll dig more tomorrow, it will just involve hacking some roots up and I'm not as enthused for now.

However, I can say the beeps are giving me hope. The property is so littered with nails, and they all give off a low honk which I've come to ignore. These are high pitched and it says silver. I found out some of the other signals I was getting were just old grill racks overgrown by grass. lol Felt kinda dumb after that. Also decided not to enlist my brothers...they'll just want a cut of the treasure!!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet....................................................:headbang:

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, FeralMermaid! I must say that you are very well spoken. Perhaps an author? You tend to a very nice turn of phrase.
Yes, large trees do tend to accumulate things, since people like shade and sitting and lying about under trees was normal before the days of air conditioning. It does sound as though your tree was quite old, four feet across at the base could be easily 100 years old or more. If there has never been a home there though there may be nothing to find, unless cows in central Minnesota carry pocket change. You'll find the pages of T-Net littered with stories of "buried loot", most of which are just that-stories. Criminals tend to spend the loot, not normally being the types of folks who plan for the future. Still, stranger things have happened.
You did say something that tells me you've got the right attitude to be a successful detectorist, though. You mentioned research. That's the key to consistently finding nice things in this hobby, research and location. It's the dusty archives and old books, manuscripts and diaries that will put you on the road to finding the old stuff. After all, you need to go where people lose things to find them again.
If that's your photo in your profile, then you should have no problem getting permissions to dig places. A young lady will get permissions to hunt places us crabby old greybeards will be denied, in many cases, and that's a good thing for you.
As far as the beach goes, remember; people tend to live in their own little bubbles. They are there to do what they go to the beach for; swim, recreate themselves, have a few beers, whatever. Your metal detecting will get about zero interest, except possibly from kids; kids are curious. Adults tend to think of Detectorists as somewhat goofy, on the whole, and on the whole, we couldn't care less. As a self avowed "freak", I suspect you too will have a pretty low care factor about what other people think, so load up the old Bounty Hunter and head to the beach.

Not a writer, but thank you! I figured I might get some privileges as a youngish woman (nearing 30 but I still get called young lady,) which is unfortunate for others, but that's how people are. It's probably perceived as more quirky than anything to see someone like myself with a detector.

That makes a lot more sense about criminals spending more than stashing. I did find out Ma Barker and Bugs Moran had homes in my town... it would be cool to get permission to dig on those properties... but they probably didn't stick around too long. It's just fun to imagine what could be lingering from the past.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNET FeralMermaid! Get your brothers to dig out the roots from the tree stump outwards 3 or 4 feet, then cut the roots with the chainsaw at the stump and the furthest dug point and remove them. This should open up some digging areas under where the roots were. There will likely be deeper roots you may have to deal with, so if possible dig them out and cut them also. Even if mobsters did not bury any treasures at the base of the trees, in the past many folks buried coins and valuables at the base of trees and especially trees that were within sight of the Master bedroom and kitchen. Good luck!

Frank

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont know until you dig. Welcome to Tnet.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trees have always been good to me. Found a WWI collar disc under one today. Found some chiggers too, or they found me. :sadsmiley:
Dag Blam Chiggers. Where are you? I need to know what areas to avoid!!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas, Ft. Worth. Avoid tall grass, or those %^#$% will get you. :BangHead:
Have a good friend in Ft W I am supposed to be there later this month. Love the downtown tourist trap. Great town! I will stay off the grass.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a good friend in Ft W I am supposed to be there later this month. Love the downtown tourist trap. Great town! I will stay off the grass.

:icon_thumleft: Enjoy the longhorn cattle!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If digging is a 'hassle', then you've chosen the wrong hobby.

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If digging is a 'hassle', then you've chosen the wrong hobby.

Calm down, it's not that serious. In life, you acheive things by doing those things that you don't particularly feel like. Despite this particular dig being a hassle, I AM digging it up, which you might know had you been reading. It's just going to take a while, because I am one person without all the proper resources.

I really don't need to explain the definition of a hassle, but in case you're curious: I've already dug up dozens of rusty old nails in the vicinity. If you tore up years of overgrowth and hacked away under an extensive root system to find a rusty old nail a foot under rocky soil next to a mosquito-ridden swamp, you might consider it all to be hassle too. Not that it matters how you would feel.

And, by the way, who's to say everyone swinging a metal detector is a hobbyist?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calm down, it's not that serious. In life, you acheive things by doing those things that you don't particularly feel like. Despite this particular dig being a hassle, I AM digging it up, which you might know had you been reading. It's just going to take a while, because I am one person without all the proper resources.

I really don't need to explain the definition of a hassle, but in case you're curious: I've already dug up dozens of rusty old nails in the vicinity. If you tore up years of overgrowth and hacked away under an extensive root system to find a rusty old nail a foot under rocky soil next to a mosquito-ridden swamp, you might consider it all to be hassle too. Not that it matters how you would feel.

And, by the way, who's to say everyone swinging a metal detector is a hobbyist?

Well, you did read his signature line - didn't you? :laughing9:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will do just fine FeralMermaid, I've been detecting for 25 plus years, and digging anything 2 or 3 ft deep with roots, IS a hassle, more work than I want to do anymore. Use your power, enlist your brothers to labor. Sisters are always saying that they are smarter than there brothers anyway. The tree stump? Well, NO telling what MAY have been around there say 100 years? ago. You have the place, the stump, the signal, the time, and now the curiosity, be it something really good, or just junk, you'll always wonder now if you do not. As we here now will. Welcome to the hobby/obsession. Added note: Your brothers digging for a share of the treasure? Sure, why not, and if it's junk? Be generous, and let them have it all!

Last edited:

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try digging as close to the stump as you can get without the roots knocking the dirt out of your shovel and wash the soil from under the stump with your garden hose into the deeper hole while enjoying a cold beer in your lawn chair. You can make this treasure hunt pleasurable.

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all, I am so pleased. I want to share will you all what I found! It is just like a dream. First, a bit of my pictoral journey:

IMG_7216.jpg

I got to clearing away more overgrowth from around the hole, and hacking out some roots. It was strange- seemingly no matter how much I dug, the target was still far away, and seemed to evade every effort I made to locate it.

IMG_7220.jpg

I was growing tired of the mosquitos buzzing, the blisters from axing, the beads of sweat in my eyes... but still, I persevered. Clearing some brush from around the stump, something was revealed to me.

IMG_7221.JPG

What is that?

IMG_7223.JPG

I FOUND IT! Ma Barker's long-lost barbeque rack!! Right under my nose the whole time!

IMG_7224.JPG

It is truly wondrous to imagine how many mafia hitmen and gangsters once enjoyed a good bratwurst or surloin steak under these crisp, starry skies. So lush with history and wonder. I'm on my way to get it authenticated now. I hope they don't take it from me.

I just wanted to let you all know- never give up on your dreams. The task ahead may seem outlandish to some, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Now it's time to fill back up the hole. I am keeping this rock though. Will make a good paperweight while doing my taxes.

IMG_7226.JPG

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Sometimes thats the way she goes. Ah, who am I kidding? A lot of the time, but ya never know unless you dig it. :hello2:

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! Well, a little exercise never hurt nobody. Should've kept my eyes peeled...it was just propped up there on the stump (to my defense it was shrouded.) Live n' learn I guess...

Just glad I didn't ask my brothers for help... I can already see the fury in their eyes. lol If they didn't think my metal detecting was stupid before, I sure don't want to give them a reason!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
been there, thanks for telling us the outcome. brad
Yup! Well, a little exercise never hurt nobody. Should've kept my eyes peeled...it was just propped up there on the stump (to my defense it was shrouded.) Live n' learn I guess...

Just glad I didn't ask my brothers for help... I can already see the fury in their eyes. lol If they didn't think my metal detecting was stupid before, I sure don't want to give them a reason!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions