Learned my lesson

Dynikus

Jun 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, very new to the hobby, I just picked up my first real detector a few days ago. It was a ground efx swarm mx200e (read: Chinese knock off minelab) at a pawn shop for $75 that I got because it had some good Amazon reviews. I tried to use it for a few days, and in that time found 2 rusty nails and a bucket handle maybe 2 or 3 inches down. I couldn't have been more frustrated trying to use it though. I constantly got false positives, worthless pinpointing, and ever changing results for what an item was before I dug it up. I could be pointing the detector up into the sky and it would indicate there was a quarter 3 inches away, then it would fluctuate without being moved and say a dime or pull tab 5 inches away (I didn't see any floating metal though). Pinpointing would just have a constant hum everywhere I pointed it until I turned it off and on again. Then after a couple minutes, it would do the same thing. No matter how I fiddled with settings, it was pretty much unusable. Fortunately though, the pawn shop also had a Garrett ace 250 for $150, and they let me trade in the swarm (titled that because flies surely swarmed to it) for full value, and they knocked $20 off the Garrett. Couldn't be happier now, it lives up to its reputation. Lesson learned, buy tried and true.
Just wanted to post this up as a little introduction, and maybe as a warning to anyone else new that might be looking at the mx200e or Googles the name in the future. Maybe I just got a bad egg, but from what I read on another forum after getting it, it doesn't sound like that's the case.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't go wrong with the Garrett Ace 250 for that price. Great all around detector. One tip I can add is that a good set of headphones can really add to the experience.

OP
OP
D

Dynikus

Jun 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some ordered, as well as a pinpointer. :icon_thumright:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Mojave detector is also a good low price detector. I got one myself. Good hunting and good luck.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Dynikus - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
While waiting on your new puppy to arrive - you might consider browsing Forum > Brands > Garrett.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread