Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: real tomatoes and fresh strawberries

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

real tomatoes and fresh strawberries

This is the time of the year when I get to eat real tomatoes, you know, the ones right off the vine and super tasty. The tomatoes that can really make a BLT shine, real flavor and deep color. New potatoes are fixed in many ways and I like them all. We have to protect the garden from all the critters but the rewards are worth it. As a kid, fresh strawberries out of the garden with a big slice of yellow cake was mighty good but got even better with ice cream. As an old fart, they are still mighty fine table fare. Of course a real strawberry milkshake is hard to beat too. While this is something that many of us take for granted, many don't know what they are missing and I wish that they could find out. It's the simple things in life that can be so good contrary to what the fast foodies may think. sorry, already ate the BLT. only thing better would be with homemade ice cream. pretty good eats after detecting for several hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strawberry.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	939.1 KB 
ID:	1462544  
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2246 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Homemade bread with fresh strawberries and cream at the in-law's farm!

If I have to go, I tell my wife to have them ensure enough for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Simple pleasure like that then a rum on the rocks with a good cigar. Heaven in the moment.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    754 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dang, you all are making me hungry! Enjoy for me too!

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2492 times
    Gave up on strawberries, my competition was too tough. But the blueberries are just about ripe and in a few weeks I will start picking everbearing raspberries and continue through October. I don't do much other gardening due to said critters except for a big patch of leeks which no one except me is interested in.
    trdking and dirtlooter like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    178 times
    Prospecting
    The other night of internet roaming I came upon a site (can't remember where) about tomatoes and how to shock your friends. Take a couple of unripe tomatoes, punch some dime size holes in a piece of aluminum foil and wrap them up tight. Put on a window sill for a week and when you remove the foil you will have poke-a-dot tomatoes.
    trdking likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1684 times
    My tomatoes are small and green, and no strawberries yet. I live in Connecticut.
    trdking and dirtlooter like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    SoCal
    XP Deus Sovereign GT Omega 8500 Patriot
    3085 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Yum! Looks delicious!
    dirtlooter likes this.
    "Today" is a great find!

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    1776 times
    Too hot here, every time I have tried to grow tomatoes they croak.
    Honest Samuel and dirtlooter like this.

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Mark IV Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Carrot
    1482 times
    Metal Detecting
    All I ate last weekend was fresh strawberries.

Just waiting for people at work to bring in their extra tomatoes.
    dirtlooter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    754 times
    SusanMN, the blueberries are out here. See them everywhere. Wife sent me out for strawberries and whipped cream and it is gone so out again for more. Get them while available then on to whatever is next. Check the farmer's market to see what is available too.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    San Clemente CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    1827 times
    Home Gardening? Is that available at the grocery store? LOL I was reading an article today that says 14% of the US population thinks that chocolate milk comes from Brown Cows! The article attributed this to the greater population not ever knowing where food comes from e.g. From the grocery store! Unbelievable. Our southern California climate with the complete lack of snow or winter makes for some incredible Tomatoes and strawberries. Blue berries are very tough and forget cranberries or goose berries. The tomatoes get bigger than softballs! I am not really sure how they taste though. For the last three years my Golden Retriever has defeated all methods to protect them. I watch them ripen to perfection and the next day they are gone. He breaks in and eats every last one of them, but not until they are perfectly ripe and ready. The first year I thought it was the neighbor until I caught the dog red handed. He would rather eat a fresh tomatoe than a steak.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Dec 2006
    1597 times
    mmmm! looks good
    grandmother made same thing, with real homemade cream and yellow scratch cake
    dirtlooter likes this.

my grandfather had five huge gardens, one of which was his prized strawberries. We had strawberry freezer jam all the time, I could my weight in biscuits and jam back then. One of my uncles got the place and it is now a thicket, so sad.
    Honest Samuel and trdking like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1732 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yummy! I've got strawberries coming in now, but another month or more for the tomatoes yet -
    dirtlooter likes this.
    2017 SILVER TOTALS...ANY? OK, one.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    San Clemente CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    1827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    my grandfather had five huge gardens, one of which was his prized strawberries. We had strawberry freezer jam all the time, I could my weight in biscuits and jam back then. One of my uncles got the place and it is now a thicket, so sad.
    OMG Freezer Jam!!!! Droooool
    dirtlooter likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links