ever wonder if you are doing this right?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you see all of these fabulous finds that others seem to be finding left and right and you seem hard pressed to find a wheatie or some jewelry. Part of you begins questioning your machine, your abilities etc. But the truth is that you can't find what ain't there in the first place. Yes, there is always room for improvement in our abilities and use of our machine. Most of the really good detectorists are really good at research to increase their odds in finding what they are hoping to find. Others hammer parks, soccer fields, baseball fields, old schools, swimming holes, beaches etc. Some do very well getting permission at older homes or house places but all are putting the odds in their favor in one way or another. For some of us, we are limited on how far we can travel and may not have access to a lot of these type places. So this means that we too have to figure out how to "cash in" on the areas that we might work for us. Anyways, it is very refreshing to realize that your abilities are better than you thought when you actually get to hunt some productive areas. I still have a lot to learn and areas that need improvement but my confidence level is higher now. I have found gold and silver but the older coins have been harder to come by, at least very often. Permissions? The worst thing that they can say is no and you are already not detecting their place as it is. First impressions are important, dress like you take care of yourself. Be polite and assure them that you will not leave their lawn in a mess. Talk about them and or their place, make them feel comfortable with you. You may have to offer to share your finds or at least something. Increasing your odds of swinging over something good can mean more consistent good finds. I am feeling like I am applying more of the knowledge that I have learned the hard way plus that gleaned from others on this site. There is a lot of knowledge available to us if we just ask or read/watch what is put out there for us. So yeah, I am doing this more right than I used to and things are looking even better for the future. HH&GL

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Thank you! Its taking me some time, but I feel my ability levels are increasing in both my target location and plug cutting skills. I'm ready to knock on some doors. If I didn't work 60 hours a week Id definitely be doing more detecting!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and I thought it was the question your wife asked you one night

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and I thought it was the question your wife asked you one night

nah, just a lot of people begin to wonder what the problem is, why aren't they finding something good. sometimes its the operator using the machine, sometimes its the operator just not in a decent place to hunt in the first place. A little confidence can go a long ways

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And sometimes ya hit a slump, for what ever reason.
But we keep going cause, ya just can't give up the treasure hunt!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I am not familiar with a poster, I figure about half of what they say they've found is a lie.

My coin shop guy loves to talk about a group of detectorists that has this one guy who comes into his store, buys something, and then 'finds' it on the next group hunt. He doesnt know that his buddies are onto him and are laughing at him to any and everyone.
I find it sad/pitiful that someone has such low self esteem that he tries to buy the approval of others.
Most folks that do this don't know everyone is secretly laughing at them.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not familiar with a poster, I figure about half of what they say they've found is a lie.

My coin shop guy loves to talk about a group of detectorists that has this one guy who comes into his store, buys something, and then 'finds' it on the next group hunt. He doesnt know that his buddies are onto him and are laughing at him to any and everyone.
I find it sad/pitiful that someone has such low self esteem that he tries to buy the approval of others.
Most folks that do this don't know everyone is secretly laughing at them.

I was a "member" of treasure hunting club for a season or two. This one guy ALWAYS found silver on group hunts no matter where we went. Never failed. Left me a tad bit suspicious. Not sure what they are trying to prove by faking their recoveries. I guess it may be an ego thing. I agree with dirtlooter. If you take any seasoned metal chaser who has a good machine and knows it well and put them on a honey hole they will score some good recoveries. Unfortunately we can't all be on the east coast digging colonial coins or down south collecting civil war relics. Many don't have any beaches near them to suck up silver and gold. We just have to do the best we can where we can. Always room for improvement in researching our area and seeking permissions from virgin private property.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much of what you said, I wish I had known 20 years ago. I went through six machines in my first two years in the hobby seeking that perfect machine.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's all about hope, there is always something to be found

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Location, location, location & a large dose of luck!!!!!!

totally true, the right location can be a game changer that proves that you are doing things right in the first place

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread